• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why puppy farmers make money

Kate H

There was an article on the front page of Our Dogs on 16 September about Kennel Club concern about the huge rise in unwanted dogs, many of them bought through the internet. Caroline Kisko, the KC secretary, said:

'One of our staff members saw a lady in a pet shop choosing between two puppies, a Husky and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She was making her choice by holding them up next to her in the mirror to see which dog suited her best. That's not the way to choose a dog.'

There's a slight difference between those two breeds in terms of trainability and feeding and exercise requirements... I wonder whether she had grey or red hair?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Oye. I don't even know how to respond to that.

I work in a dog shelter here in Sydney and this is why most dogs get surrendered...people pick them for the wrong reasons! And then they realise...oh it is too much work (i.e. they make me get up at 7 am every day, I never get to sleep in anymore), they are to "rambunctious" (i.e. they need more exercise), they cost too much (i.e. I never did the math, it was an impulse buy), we don't have space for it (i.e. they grew up from a puppy). Sigh.

Thanks for posting this Kate, it is a harsh reality that many dogs face these days...humans just being selfish.

Are people that ridiculous? I mean, go buy a darn necklace and new earrings. Dogs aren't accessories. Geez!

Is it too affordable to pick one up off the internet? Do people not consider Vet bills, training, etc, when they get a dog?

The dog I had when I got Claire was already 11 years old. I had wanted another dog since he was 5! But many circumstances kept me from it, and I began looking for rescues too. I wanted us all to be ready, my household that is.

I keep hoping they will outlaw stores selling puppies in my State. We now have two stores in my town that sell puppies. We are working toward legislation that will outlaw this. That will certainly put a big dent in the puppy farms outlet of puppies. There are seval States that have passed or are trying to pass laws against selling puppies in stores.

This really angers me. I see it all too often in my own neighbourhood, where just for the simple reason of having a dog locked up in the back garden is like having a shrub in front of their house- it's just there, a part of the scenery- just to have it!

Another thing is I see a lot at the pounds that the dogs on 'Death Row' tend to be 'unattractive' or mutts- people go for looks, even in their pets. I shouldn't talk, I have two beautiful pure-bred dogs... I was recommended the breed because I was told they were good with child ren and easy for a first-time dog owner. I can use all kinds of excuses, but anyway. Since owning a dog, I've learned a lot, when I have the chance... it will be different.

Apologies for the rambling.

I have always believed that if only "dog people" actually owned dogs, the pet over-population would not be the problem it is today. "Dog people" know dogs are "for life", are members of the family, choose dogs that are a good fit for their lifestyle, need to be trained, take more than a week to housebreak, need to be fed quality food, need vet care, and should never be bred randomly.

Back