Thread: Mozt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mozt

I am a 15 year old Blenheim Cav. I shall be 16 in just over two weeks, on 17th October. I am totay blind, due to cataracts. I became blind last year. I live in Sydney, Australia. I am wondering if there are other blind, elderly Cavs living near me with whom I can become friends. Also if anyone on this website can suggest ways to make a blind elderly dog's life easier and more enjoyable I would like of hear from them. Thanks, Mozart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, that's a very good age! I don't know that there are any older cavaliers on this forum near you, but I think BrooklynMom is in Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Mozt, how fantastic to have reached the glorious age of 15!!

I'm sorry you are having a few health problems, I think it happens to us all as we get older. There are tips on the forum for living with a blind dog, I think the most important thing is to not move furniture around etc. The senses of smell and hearing are far more important to the dog, and they do cope very well with blindness, in a familiar environment.

There are still games and activities Mozt can enjoy which rely on scent, there is a brilliant book whcih you can obtain through the Cavalier Gift Shop [which supports Cavalier health reserach and rescue] http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/wellbe.../prod_152.html which has some ideas.

I hope you do find some Cavalier friends, beyond puppyhood most Cavaliers are respectful of Oldies and you may enjoy their company anyway.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Motz and Motz's mum

Welcome to the bored! I actually live in Sydney, on the Northern Beaches...where do you live? Brooklyn is only 11 months old though, so she is still a boisterous puppy...but if you think Motz would be okay with that, I would love to meet up sometime if you are near me at all Brooky is very sweet and calm natured to other dogs, she usually just goes with what the other dog gives off (a friendly sniff or a chase the ball play).

Motz is very lucky to be such a golden oldie! You must take very good care of him!!!