Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board time out

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Board time out

Apologies for the inconvenience, but yesterday I took the decision to give the board some down time for 24 hours or so.

I needed time to consider a serious problem: I was disturbed and disappointed to find, for the second time, that there was a discussion in a chat stream, about whether someone would breed their own cavalier.

One board thread had been closed after a related topic was introduced recently by the same individual and it was stated very clearly that this was not an allowable discussion.

The reason I do not allow people to discuss whether they are considering breeding, or asking about breeding their own dogs or raising their personal breeding issues (unless one of the very few experienced, professional, health-focused breeder members), is made very clear in the Getting Started section and underlies the central ethos of the board: breed welfare and health. It is utterly exasperating to then find someone toying with the idea of breeding, especially a dog that has had several potentially serious health problems highlighted on the board over recent months (these were not even raised as a consideration ).

I am really disappointed it was apparently assumed a chat stream was more hidden than a forum post -- as if a separate ethos exists in the chat section.

With reluctance, I've at least for now, shut down the chat feature as a result. I am sorry about that but it was the second time I had seen this same general discussion, which implies there may well have been others, or private chats. This goes absolutely against everything the board exists for, and the reasons I provide and run this space. So do the actions and attitudes of the individual involved. If people are retaining secret plans for potentially breeding their pet cavaliers despite all they read and learn here, they could at least keep those plans private and not discuss them on the board if they wish to remain members of this community.

I am sorry for a situation that always ends up upsetting some people, but am unapologetic about the board's ethos and respecting it.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So glad CT is back up and running. Never realized how much a part of my day it has become. Thanks Karlin for keeping up the ethics of this board and for allowing pet owners from all over the world to come here to discuss our cavaliers.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Oh shoot, dummy me, I didn't see this post, and left another one asking if I was the only one getting a site unavailable screen.

You can delete, or remove my other post Karlin, as your post explains it all. I really should have scanned all the forums before posting. But in my excitement to actually get on, I posted, lol!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I had no idea that was even going on and I am on here 24-7 I feel like...thank you Karlin for monitoring so closely as it seems these conversations can be hidden away quite easily. I appreciate your dedication to the ethics of this board and following through on implementing them.

On a side note...I am with Joyce, I had no idea how much time I spent on here until the site when down! Ha. I was like lost yesterday...maybe I need a hobby

Glad we are back up and running.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit lost too, lol. I didn't know it was going on, as I hardly ever venture into the chatrooms, they always seem empty.

Thank you Karlin for safeguarding the boards and preserving what it stands for.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't know there were chat rooms I just use my phone app

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anne, they have been part of the board for a couple of months. If you only access the board by your phone app then you wouldn't see them though so that might be the issue. They are gone now however for the time being.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Anne, they have been part of the board for a couple of months. If you only access the board by your phone app then you wouldn't see them though so that might be the issue. They are gone now however for the time being.
    Well I will not miss them sounds like too much trouble

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea there was private chat area, either, but I drop in to read each day, even though I don't post every day.

Karlin, I applaud your efforts to maintain the ethics of this forum. Breeding Cavaliers is indeed a serious matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Karlin, I applaud your efforts to maintain the ethics of this forum. Breeding Cavaliers is indeed a serious matter.
    Agreed!!!
    Flash Blitz Holly