• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Board time out

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies for the inconvenience, but yesterday I took the decision to give the board some down time for 24 hours or so.

I needed time to consider a serious problem: I was disturbed and disappointed to find, for the second time, that there was a discussion in a chat stream, about whether someone would breed their own cavalier. :?

One board thread had been closed after a related topic was introduced recently by the same individual and it was stated very clearly that this was not an allowable discussion.

The reason I do not allow people to discuss whether they are considering breeding, or asking about breeding their own dogs or raising their personal breeding issues (unless one of the very few experienced, professional, health-focused breeder members), is made very clear in the Getting Started section and underlies the central ethos of the board: breed welfare and health. It is utterly exasperating to then find someone toying with the idea of breeding, especially a dog that has had several potentially serious health problems highlighted on the board over recent months (these were not even raised as a consideration :( ).

I am really disappointed it was apparently assumed a chat stream was more hidden than a forum post -- as if a separate ethos exists in the chat section.

With reluctance, I've at least for now, shut down the chat feature as a result. I am sorry about that but it was the second time I had seen this same general discussion, which implies there may well have been others, or private chats. This goes absolutely against everything the board exists for, and the reasons I provide and run this space. So do the actions and attitudes of the individual involved. If people are retaining secret plans for potentially breeding their pet cavaliers despite all they read and learn here, they could at least keep those plans private and not discuss them on the board if they wish to remain members of this community. :sl*p:

I am sorry for a situation that always ends up upsetting some people, but am unapologetic about the board's ethos and respecting it.

So glad CT is back up and running. Never realized how much a part of my day it has become. Thanks Karlin for keeping up the ethics of this board and for allowing pet owners from all over the world to come here to discuss our cavaliers.

Oh shoot, dummy me, I didn't see this post, and left another one asking if I was the only one getting a site unavailable screen.

You can delete, or remove my other post Karlin, as your post explains it all. I really should have scanned all the forums before posting. But in my excitement to actually get on, I posted, lol!

Gosh, I had no idea that was even going on and I am on here 24-7 I feel like...thank you Karlin for monitoring so closely as it seems these conversations can be hidden away quite easily. I appreciate your dedication to the ethics of this board and following through on implementing them.

On a side note...I am with Joyce, I had no idea how much time I spent on here until the site when down! Ha. I was like lost yesterday...maybe I need a hobby :fool:

Glad we are back up and running.

I was a bit lost too, lol. I didn't know it was going on, as I hardly ever venture into the chatrooms, they always seem empty.

Thank you Karlin for safeguarding the boards and preserving what it stands for.

I didn't know there were chat rooms :? I just use my phone app

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anne, they have been part of the board for a couple of months. If you only access the board by your phone app then you wouldn't see them though so that might be the issue. (y) They are gone now however for the time being.

Anne, they have been part of the board for a couple of months. If you only access the board by your phone app then you wouldn't see them though so that might be the issue. (y) They are gone now however for the time being.

Well I will not miss them ;) sounds like too much trouble

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I had no idea there was private chat area, either, but I drop in to read each day, even though I don't post every day.

Karlin, I applaud your efforts to maintain the ethics of this forum. Breeding Cavaliers is indeed a serious matter.

Im glad we are back :) I think Ive only used the chat room once a few months back when it first came on, and yesterday to ask if there were others having trouble getting on the forum, so I will not miss it either. I would miss the board as a whole though :(

Hi

For me I had to get my head down and work all day long without my usual breaks provided by CT . I do
fall foul of our rules here from time to time and Karlin does rap my knuckles and knock me back into line but
one think I am in no way interested in is breeding and anyway all my girls have been spayed mainly due
to my concerns for any future health issues that could arise ,and like a lot of members have never used a
chat room and didnt really know it was there.
Our boys and girls already have more than enough problems without people dabbling in things they do
not know anything about .

Brian, I know I never have to worry about you breeding your lovely dogs! :lol:

I will say again that there are always people that are not happy when these issues arise because it often involves people on the board they personally like or features they like or policies they would like changed. That's why I wanted some time out to think about the issue. I try to get a balance between discussion that doesn't breach my own concerns about legal matters and allows a fair degree of openness, but the issues around personal breeding are for me, really important.

I do make no apologies for the fact that this is a board with a very strong personal imprint–I set it up, I pay for the software and the hosting fees, and I put hours into it that keep it running, I don't charge people anything for being here, and I have particular views–particularly on breed rescue, welfare, and health–that inform the whole environment. I am well aware that those don't always make people happy, but then, there are many other communities out there if somebody is deeply unhappy with the one here. There has always been very strong growth on this board in membership ever since its 1st year, and despite various controversies over issues Or individuals in the past 6 years of its existence, I think the fact that membership remains strong and grows at a very fast rate (actually, one of my major administrative headaches is verifying lots of new memberships every week) is testimony that a good number of people feel comfortable with this particular environment and its focus.

but the issues around personal breeding are for me, really important.

And me.

And that is why I am a part of this board because I trust that this is a like minded sentament. Thank you for protecting that Karlin (though we all might be a little bit mad at you because we had to actually work yesterday! ha :rotfl:)

Its a shame it had to happen but Im glad that we are well protected by you Karlin!

You do a fab job and we all appreciate how much you take care of us on here :eek:

Thank you Karlin for keeping an eye on things for us - I don't post as much as I used to, but dip in and out as much as I can (ie too much!).
I've been a member of the board for nearly three years I think, and have to say that the various changes you've made over the years with regard to posting rules and membership has made it a much nicer board to be a part of.

Last edited:
Back