Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the USA registry of MRI scans?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the USA registry of MRI scans?

I am trying to find out more about this. I did not know there was a separate registry... the only one I have seen is the one on the UK site that shows registered dogs and you click on USA to find dogs listed there.
    http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html
    What other registry is there for dogs in the USA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is no registry in the US for MRI results. There isn't yet in the UK either, although there will be once the kennel club/BVA scheme is underway.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay... maybe the terms used were not quite right

Maybe this was a reference to the DNA project? Would that give you a registration number?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    What other registry is there for dogs in the USA?
    That would be the NADA. Gee, I can think of so many entity names that this acronym could represent!

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Pat...

What does NADA stand for in this case? He he!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was being witchy with a "w" - helped along by having a bad cold and feeling irritable.

Sadly, there is no registering body such as CERF or OFA that lists dogs that have been MRI'd along with the results. That is the whole basis of the big fight that I presume every puppy buyer is following intently - whether or not to publish MRI results - the danger of course being that "I" am too stupid to understand MRI results. I presume you noticed that the MRI list on the UK club site doesn't give results or even the date of the MRI and thus really isn't very useful.

My boy is a participant in the DNA project (Canadian) and the EBV research (UK) - the data for both projects is not public. I have an MRI certificate for him associated with the EBV research, and I have a written report from his MRI. My certificate and report must be special because I am perfectly able to understand them. The certificate lists his registered name, call name, owner, AKC registration number, microchip number, date of scan, age at time of scan and date of birth among other things - AND the results of the MRI. The certificate and report are the things I would share with interested brood bitch owners and potential puppy buyers if my boy was a stud dog, and those items are what I would expect to see if I were purchasing a Cavalier puppy - before I ever laid eyes on the pup or paid my deposit.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe this was a reference to the DNA project? Would that give you a registration number?
    No, Maybe you are confusing dog registration numbers -- eg their Kennel Club, AKC etc number -- which is used to uniquely identify dogs in research for scans, or for personal scans, along with a microchip to verify the dog is who the person getting the scan says s/he is?

NADA: yeah, a LOT of breeders use that registry...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Received clarification

The person was referring to this:

http://www.offa.org/index.html
    http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/

And the breeder at issue is paricipating in this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default But no SM/CM info included on CHIC and/or OFA.....

Well, OK...........but your thread is titled "What is the USA registry of MRI scans"........and, as discussed above, there is NO entity that includes MRI scans or SM/CM information.

Here is what CHIC covers:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    (search)

Hip Dysplasia
    ■OFA Evaluation - OR
    ■OVC Evaluation - OR
    ■PennHIP Evaluation

Eye Clearance
    ■Initial CERF exam at 8-12 weeks, follow up at 12 months, annually until 5 years old, every two years until 9 years old

Patellar Luxation
    ■OFA Evaluation

Congenital Cardiac Database
    ■OFA evaluation with examination performed by a Board-Certified Cardiologist - Recommended Annually
    ■ARCH - ACVIM Registry of Cardiac Health - OR

As an aside - interesting that they list this as "Congenital cardiac database" when MVD is an acquired cardiac disease (although with a genetic basis) and not a congenital disease, but I digress.

OFA lists all of the diseases/conditions that they cover on the left side of the site, but no SM/CM.

Have you heard of any activity aimed at adding SM/CM data to either of these registries?

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think this is something to talk about publicly. There are some great breeders that have done a lot and worked with researchers for several years.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella