• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pain when eating

brid kenny

Hey,
Just came home from school and throwing a bit of kibble for the dogs. Phoebe can't seem to put her head down to pick up the food. She screeches when she's doing it. Any advice?

BK, so sorry to hear this. Is she loose while you are gone? Is it possible she's strained something? How is she when you touch her neck? Pick her up?I would say if she continue through the night, I'd have her into the Vet tomorrow to make sure it isn't something worse. Praying it is just a strain.

It is almost surely one of 2 things–either an issue with discs in her spinal column, or SM, as this is a pretty classic sign of either if the damage is up in the neck area somewhere. Either way, And hopefully it is perhaps just some minor disc bruising or discomfort that can be remedied easily, she needs to get right away to a vet as this is an indication of serious pain. There is probably a chance that she will need an MRI to find out what is going on, but I am sure they will start by wanting to do an x-ray to see if there is any visible displacement or deterioration of her vertebrae. They are likely to recommend she immediately be put on crate rest and pain killers to see if it will resolve, but she may need an MRI for them to actually see what is going on and they will probably suggest an MRI if crate rest and painkillers don't produce improvement pretty quickly.

SO sorry to hear this, how is Phoebe today? What did the vet say?

This is how Rupert's SM first presented, he wouldn't put his head down to eat. :(

Sorry Phoebe is in pain. Sydney has a disc problem in his neck and arthritis in his spine. When first diagnosed, he was put on crate rest and now I just take precautions that he doesn't slip and slide and hurt himself all over again.

What I have also done to help him is raise his food and water dish. This way he doesn't have to bend his neck and head.

I agree with Karlin and Nicki. You really need to have her checked to find out what the problem really is so it can be treated properly. Will keep my fingers crossed that it is nothing too serious.

What I have also done to help him is raise his food and water dish. This way he doesn't have to bend his neck and head.

Good point– this is often recommended for dogs with SM or with any kind of spine problem–it at least helps them avoid putting their head into this uncomfortable position when eating.

Code:
Okay thanks guys. She is absolutely fine today. Should I still take her?

Hi Brid, good to hear she seems to have improved but I would absolutely bring her to the vet. Sudden onset acute pain in the neck area definitely needs to be investigated.

Back