• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Digging

ashleighelizabeth

Sonny is currently obsessed with digging and burying bones. This morning my husband took Sonny out two different times and each time he came back with a different bone that he had apparently buried at a previous time without us knowing. He is so funny because he also tries to bury his bones in our couch and in his bed. Silly puppy!!! I am hoping that he doesn't start digging up our lawn...... we don't mind if he digs in the dirt areas of our yard, but my husband won't be very happy if his lawn gets ruined. :*gh: I'm wondering if we should ban the digging all together since it might be confusing for him to be able to dig some places and not others. Any one else have mischievous little pups that like to dig?icon_devil

When we buy a bone for Toby that seems to hard for him, he will find a hiding place in the house to bury it but of course its not hidden but he doesn't know that. Sadly Toby has an obsession with rocks. We have decorative rocks everywhere in the backyard. We are just renters so we cannot get rid of them so we put a fence within a fence to keep Toby away from the rocks. BUT there are rocks under the grass so Toby will dig to get them. Its like he has radar for rocks. He will find the tiniest one. It is not a good thing for him so we watch him closely. I think he is growing out trying to eat them and is now wanting to play with them.
Becky

When we buy a bone for Toby that seems to hard for him, he will find a hiding place in the house to bury it but of course its not hidden but he doesn't know that. Sadly Toby has an obsession with rocks. We have decorative rocks everywhere in the backyard. We are just renters so we cannot get rid of them so we put a fence within a fence to keep Toby away from the rocks. BUT there are rocks under the grass so Toby will dig to get them. Its like he has radar for rocks. He will find the tiniest one. It is not a good thing for him so we watch him closely. I think he is growing out trying to eat them and is now wanting to play with them.
Becky

Ooooh yea rocks can be scary. Sonny is "burying" a bone behind our couch as I type. LOL:sl*p:

I have a digger here ! The other day Alfie was chewing away nicely on his 'bone' and it was a sunny day and he pottered off into the garden to chew it on the decking. Next thing I knew was Alfie digging like crazy in the soil border around the lawn, and when I got to him the 'bone' had already been deposited in the hole.:d*g:

Pretty normal dog behaviour and I guess it depends if you want to tolerate it or not. I think it is good to have an "okay" place for a dog to dig, whether that is a section of the yard or a kiddie pool/clam shell filled with sand...some dogs just like to dig.

If you want to sanction a part of the yard (off to the side in the dirt or something) then you can train him to only do it there by making it fun for him...burry treats, Kongs, Food and have him dig it back up and get rewarded. If he goes to dig somewhere else say your dicipline word that he/she knows ("no", "ah ah", "naughty" whatever) and bring him back over to "his spot" and play with him there. He will soon learn "his spot" that is okay to dig in.

If you do not want him to dig at all, or he dug somewhere that was not "his area" fill the hole with instant coffee grounds, then top it back up again with a light layer of soil. Works every time :) They also say you can put their "poo" in the hole and fill it back up...they don't want to dig up their poo so they won't dig there again (at least until the poo decomposes). This has worked for us too.

My boy is obsessed with rocks , he will choose one then go all weird about hiding it from us. on the beach he will dig a hole , put the rock in it , look at it satisfied then pick it up and dig another hole to repeat the process.
There was a picture of him on the discover dogs stand burying a massive stick ( didnt ask if they could use it but never mind ,lol)

I try to discourage him as he get sore elbows and toes from digging too much. and he keeps bringing house bricks from the river bed , he will have no teeth when he's old

Back