• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I got some interesting information today...

Sydneys Mom

Sydney's vet called today just to check up on him. In speaking about his heart, I asked her when his murmur first started since I couldn't remember. I know it's always good, the later the better and to be heart clear at age 5 is fantastic. She went back to his earliest check-ups and has always triple check his heart because he is a cavalier. The first hint of a murmur was in Oct 2008 when he went in for a dental. They heard a possible murmur that was not constantly auidible. Then in March 2009 she was hearing a Grade 2. That's when it was suggested we get Sydney to a cardiologist for definate diagnosis. It wasn't until Jan. 2010 that he was diagnosed with MVD.

What this tells me is that Sydney was heart clear at age 8! I know it wasn't certified clear in 2008 by a cardiologist, but for me, it's good news. He is now 11 1/2 yrs old.b*n*n*

That's good to hear

heart clear at age 5
sadly 50% of Cavaliers have a murmur by the age of 5 :( and nearly all have a murmur by the age of 10

Sydney's doing really, it's lovely to hear of these oldies [although sad really as small dogs should be living to their mid teens]

Thanks for the update Joyce. And yes, that is good news as far as I am concerned. Sydney really is at that golden oldie age for Cavs. But know its hard when they should be living till 15 or 16!

You are taking wonderful care of him.

That is great Sydneys Mom!

sadly 50% of Cavaliers have a murmur by the age of 5 :( and nearly all have a murmur by the age of 10

Sydney's doing really, it's lovely to hear of these oldies [although sad really as small dogs should be living to their mid teens]

I know, it is really hard. I wish there was something that could be done...
My cav passed away at 7. From a suspected heart attack. He wasn't diagnosed with a murmur but i have a feeling he may have had one by the age of 5.

But I have a friend who's cavalier passed away two years ago at 17! She had a murmur but i think it was only grade 2. And then My other friends Cav passed away at 13.
So there is always hope :)

I'm going to brag some since I have 3 oldies who are cardiologist certified heart murmur clear at ages 8, 9, and 10. Ironically though, my youngest has a congenital grade 1 murmur, but it hasn't changed since it was diagnosed when he was 5 months old (he is 4 years old now), and his cardiologist said it does not put him at greater risk for worse MVD than any other cavalier. Guess I wasn't lucky enough to totally escape the odds.

I'm going to brag some since I have 3 oldies who are cardiologist certified heart murmur clear at ages 8, 9, and 10. Ironically though, my youngest has a congenital grade 1 murmur, but it hasn't changed since it was diagnosed when he was 5 months old (he is 4 years old now), and his cardiologist said it does not put him at greater risk for worse MVD than any other cavalier. Guess I wasn't lucky enough to totally escape the odds.

This is something worth bragging about

Back