Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooky has bad diarrhea :(

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brooky has bad diarrhea :(

Poor little Brooklyn has such bad diarrhea This is her first serious bought since we have gotten her. She has had "loose stool" before, but usually for only one movement, not this long.
    It is a lot at a time, totally thick liquid and mucous, and she strains (well, I don't know if it is straining per se, but she just stands in the squat position for a while letting it all come out or she finishes and still stay squatting in case there is more. And she has been doing it since 1 pm (it is now 9 pm) and has had three rather large ones (she normal goes 1-2 times a day...today, four times already).

I called the vet, he said to keep an eye on it tonight, and if it is still there in the morning to bring her in (but if it gets worse or I get more worried or see more bad signs to take her to the 24 hour hospital right away).

I guess I just don't know what "signs" to look for to know if it gets worse or not or when I need to take action or just leave her be. I put her in her crate to go to sleep early tonight (at 8pm) because she was so tired and just look liked she wanted bed. Rest is better than anything I can do right now. She did a big diarrhea before going to sleep though and it went ALL over her poor little thing. All over her fur and feathers that were anywhere near her bum I cleaned her off the best I could with wet towels (I have already put her in the tub twice today because of this) and it is late and I didn't want to put her through that again. I think I got it pretty clean, but talk about a mess.

I guess my questions are...when do I need to be rushing to a hospital or vet? My vet is aware of what is going on and just says to only go to the hospital if things take a turn for the worse...but I am just not sure what "worse" really is. He said, more/excessive, blood in it, her acting worse. Any other thoughts?

She is sound asleep now in her crate, so I am going to leave her there for now and go to sleep myself. If nothing changes overnight, I will bring her into the vet if her morning poo is still like this. Just thought in the mean time if there was any tips, happy to take them!

Oh, and she is eating and drinking. No throwing up.

Could her increase in gabapentin on Thursday have a late effect like this? I dont think so but that is all that has changed in the last week...unless she ate/got into something at the dog park this morning? Though I don't recall that either. Humm.

Hope she feels better soon! Poor little soul.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any advice as we have never had this issue, but all i have to say is that i hope she gets better soon.
    Poor Little girl.

Just make sure she is drinking plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

So sad. Poor Brooklyn. There is nothing worse than watching your little one in pain or be sick. It sounds like you did everything you can to make her as comfortable as possible and I agree with you that rest is probably the best thing for her. I hope you guys were both able to get some sleep and hopefully she feels better this morning. Give us updates when you can. Get will little Brooklyn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Poor little Brooklyn has such bad diarrhea This is her first serious bought since we have gotten her. She has had "loose stool" before, but usually for only one movement, not this long.
    It is a lot at a time, totally thick liquid and mucous, and she strains (well, I don't know if it is straining per se, but she just stands in the squat position for a while letting it all come out or she finishes and still stay squatting in case there is more. And she has been doing it since 1 pm (it is now 9 pm) and has had three rather large ones (she normal goes 1-2 times a day...today, four times already).

I called the vet, he said to keep an eye on it tonight, and if it is still there in the morning to bring her in (but if it gets worse or I get more worried or see more bad signs to take her to the 24 hour hospital right away).

I guess I just don't know what "signs" to look for to know if it gets worse or not or when I need to take action or just leave her be. I put her in her crate to go to sleep early tonight (at 8pm) because she was so tired and just look liked she wanted bed. Rest is better than anything I can do right now. She did a big diarrhea before going to sleep though and it went ALL over her poor little thing. All over her fur and feathers that were anywhere near her bum I cleaned her off the best I could with wet towels (I have already put her in the tub twice today because of this) and it is late and I didn't want to put her through that again. I think I got it pretty clean, but talk about a mess.

I guess my questions are...when do I need to be rushing to a hospital or vet? My vet is aware of what is going on and just says to only go to the hospital if things take a turn for the worse...but I am just not sure what "worse" really is. He said, more/excessive, blood in it, her acting worse. Any other thoughts?

She is sound asleep now in her crate, so I am going to leave her there for now and go to sleep myself. If nothing changes overnight, I will bring her into the vet if her morning poo is still like this. Just thought in the mean time if there was any tips, happy to take them!

Oh, and she is eating and drinking. No throwing up.

Could her increase in gabapentin on Thursday have a late effect like this? I dont think so but that is all that has changed in the last week...unless she ate/got into something at the dog park this morning? Though I don't recall that either. Humm.

Hope she feels better soon! Poor little soul.
    Brooky will be fine. Probably a stomach bug. Did ur vet tell u to give her a bit of pepto bismol? That usually does the trick.
    Also ; feed her rice and boiled chicken for a few days... Poor thing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

How's Brooky doing now. Sorry she's now feeling well. It's good you called the vet for advice as diarrhea can be caused by so many things. It is important to make sure she stays hydrated and a bland diet is usually in order to help her tummy feel better. Let us know how she's doing.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Brooky is doing better. I thought I read before that mucus present in the stools indicates an infection, did you take her to the vet?
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Is she's still having it, I would withhold food for a while and let her tummy get calm. Be sure to offer her water, though.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your advice. Brooklyn seems to be doing better this morning...she slept in her crate for 13 solid hours! I finally had to get her up because we were getting pretty over due for her Gabapentin, and when I went into her crate at 9 am, she was still sound asleep! I put the pill in her mouth and just let her be with the door open, eventually she got up. She really must have not been feeling that hot because I have never seen her sleep that long at night...usually when the sun comes up, she wants mum and dad The vet told me to just put her in her crate early last night, so I did at 8 pm and she woke at 9 am. Wow.

The good news is that she did not get up in the middle of the night, which tells me that her tummy is doing better (she was uncontrollable with the diarreah the day before...where she could not hold it). And she slept for so long, she clearly needed it to balance back out her body. I took her out this morning and she went poo, but only the smallest little pellet (though not surprised, I don't know how she has much left in her!). It was pretty firm though! So I think we are on the up and up. I followed Lynn's (Blondiemonster) advice and gave her bland rice and chicken and added a tiny bit of pumpkin. I didn't give her very much, but I think that helped. I will do that again for today in small amounts and see how we go. But I think she is much better!

Thanks all for your advice. It is usually always a bigger deal in our heads than it is in reality, but calling the vet and having your advice always puts me at better ease. And some super sleep and bland food seemed to really help Brooky too. Thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad Brooklyn is feeling better.
    I know what you are saying sometimes itís worse in our heads then it is in reality. Harley was being sick the other night until he brought up all his dinner then he wanted to go out and kept eating grass. I was so worried my own stomach started churning and I started imagine all sorts, he finally settled and slept all night.
    We can't help but worry our Cavaliers are just so precious to us.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see this till tonight. Yes white rice and boiled chicken. The pumpkin was good too as it will help firm up her movements, just as the rice will. Do make sure she is drinking well, even if it means putting a bit of chicken broth (what you boiled the chicken in) in her water to get her to drink.

Glad she is doing well. Maybe she got a hold of something while walking?

Hugs to you both
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010