• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brooky has bad diarrhea :(

BrooklynMom

Poor little Brooklyn has such bad diarrhea :( This is her first serious bought since we have gotten her. She has had "loose stool" before, but usually for only one movement, not this long.
It is a lot at a time, totally thick liquid and mucous, and she strains (well, I don't know if it is straining per se, but she just stands in the squat position for a while letting it all come out or she finishes and still stay squatting in case there is more. And she has been doing it since 1 pm (it is now 9 pm) and has had three rather large ones (she normal goes 1-2 times a day...today, four times already).

I called the vet, he said to keep an eye on it tonight, and if it is still there in the morning to bring her in (but if it gets worse or I get more worried or see more bad signs to take her to the 24 hour hospital right away).

I guess I just don't know what "signs" to look for to know if it gets worse or not or when I need to take action or just leave her be. I put her in her crate to go to sleep early tonight (at 8pm) because she was so tired and just look liked she wanted bed. Rest is better than anything I can do right now. She did a big diarrhea before going to sleep though and it went ALL over her :( poor little thing. All over her fur and feathers that were anywhere near her bum :( I cleaned her off the best I could with wet towels (I have already put her in the tub twice today because of this) and it is late and I didn't want to put her through that again. I think I got it pretty clean, but talk about a mess.

I guess my questions are...when do I need to be rushing to a hospital or vet? My vet is aware of what is going on and just says to only go to the hospital if things take a turn for the worse...but I am just not sure what "worse" really is. He said, more/excessive, blood in it, her acting worse. Any other thoughts?

She is sound asleep now in her crate, so I am going to leave her there for now and go to sleep myself. If nothing changes overnight, I will bring her into the vet if her morning poo is still like this. Just thought in the mean time if there was any tips, happy to take them! :)

Oh, and she is eating and drinking. No throwing up.

Could her increase in gabapentin on Thursday have a late effect like this? I dont think so but that is all that has changed in the last week...unless she ate/got into something at the dog park this morning? Though I don't recall that either. Humm.

Hope she feels better soon! Poor little soul.

I don't really have any advice as we have never had this issue, but all i have to say is that i hope she gets better soon.
Poor Little girl.

Just make sure she is drinking plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated.

:( So sad. Poor Brooklyn. There is nothing worse than watching your little one in pain or be sick. It sounds like you did everything you can to make her as comfortable as possible and I agree with you that rest is probably the best thing for her. I hope you guys were both able to get some sleep and hopefully she feels better this morning. Give us updates when you can. Get will little Brooklyn!:hug:

Poor little Brooklyn has such bad diarrhea :( This is her first serious bought since we have gotten her. She has had "loose stool" before, but usually for only one movement, not this long.
It is a lot at a time, totally thick liquid and mucous, and she strains (well, I don't know if it is straining per se, but she just stands in the squat position for a while letting it all come out or she finishes and still stay squatting in case there is more. And she has been doing it since 1 pm (it is now 9 pm) and has had three rather large ones (she normal goes 1-2 times a day...today, four times already).

I called the vet, he said to keep an eye on it tonight, and if it is still there in the morning to bring her in (but if it gets worse or I get more worried or see more bad signs to take her to the 24 hour hospital right away).

I guess I just don't know what "signs" to look for to know if it gets worse or not or when I need to take action or just leave her be. I put her in her crate to go to sleep early tonight (at 8pm) because she was so tired and just look liked she wanted bed. Rest is better than anything I can do right now. She did a big diarrhea before going to sleep though and it went ALL over her :( poor little thing. All over her fur and feathers that were anywhere near her bum :( I cleaned her off the best I could with wet towels (I have already put her in the tub twice today because of this) and it is late and I didn't want to put her through that again. I think I got it pretty clean, but talk about a mess.

I guess my questions are...when do I need to be rushing to a hospital or vet? My vet is aware of what is going on and just says to only go to the hospital if things take a turn for the worse...but I am just not sure what "worse" really is. He said, more/excessive, blood in it, her acting worse. Any other thoughts?

She is sound asleep now in her crate, so I am going to leave her there for now and go to sleep myself. If nothing changes overnight, I will bring her into the vet if her morning poo is still like this. Just thought in the mean time if there was any tips, happy to take them! :)

Oh, and she is eating and drinking. No throwing up.

Could her increase in gabapentin on Thursday have a late effect like this? I dont think so but that is all that has changed in the last week...unless she ate/got into something at the dog park this morning? Though I don't recall that either. Humm.

Hope she feels better soon! Poor little soul.

Brooky will be fine. Probably a stomach bug. Did ur vet tell u to give her a bit of pepto bismol? That usually does the trick.
Also ; feed her rice and boiled chicken for a few days... Poor thing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's Brooky doing now. Sorry she's now feeling well. It's good you called the vet for advice as diarrhea can be caused by so many things. It is important to make sure she stays hydrated and a bland diet is usually in order to help her tummy feel better. Let us know how she's doing.

I hope Brooky is doing better. I thought I read before that mucus present in the stools indicates an infection, did you take her to the vet?

Is she's still having it, I would withhold food for a while and let her tummy get calm. Be sure to offer her water, though.

Thank you all so much for your advice. Brooklyn seems to be doing better this morning...she slept in her crate for 13 solid hours! I finally had to get her up because we were getting pretty over due for her Gabapentin, and when I went into her crate at 9 am, she was still sound asleep! I put the pill in her mouth and just let her be with the door open, eventually she got up. She really must have not been feeling that hot because I have never seen her sleep that long at night...usually when the sun comes up, she wants mum and dad :) The vet told me to just put her in her crate early last night, so I did at 8 pm and she woke at 9 am. Wow.

The good news is that she did not get up in the middle of the night, which tells me that her tummy is doing better (she was uncontrollable with the diarreah the day before...where she could not hold it). And she slept for so long, she clearly needed it to balance back out her body. I took her out this morning and she went poo, but only the smallest little pellet (though not surprised, I don't know how she has much left in her!). It was pretty firm though! So I think we are on the up and up. I followed Lynn's (Blondiemonster) advice and gave her bland rice and chicken and added a tiny bit of pumpkin. I didn't give her very much, but I think that helped. I will do that again for today in small amounts and see how we go. But I think she is much better!

Thanks all for your advice. It is usually always a bigger deal in our heads than it is in reality, but calling the vet and having your advice always puts me at better ease. And some super sleep and bland food seemed to really help Brooky too. Thank goodness.

So glad Brooklyn is feeling better.
I know what you are saying sometimes it’s worse in our heads then it is in reality. Harley was being sick the other night until he brought up all his dinner then he wanted to go out and kept eating grass. I was so worried my own stomach started churning and I started imagine all sorts, he finally settled and slept all night.
We can't help but worry our Cavaliers are just so precious to us.

I didn't see this till tonight. Yes white rice and boiled chicken. The pumpkin was good too as it will help firm up her movements, just as the rice will. Do make sure she is drinking well, even if it means putting a bit of chicken broth (what you boiled the chicken in) in her water to get her to drink.

Glad she is doing well. Maybe she got a hold of something while walking?

Hugs to you both

Sorry to hear this, poor Brooklyn :( you did exactly the right thing calling your vet. Yes the signs to look for are bloody diarrhoea and/or vomit, copious amounts, as this sadly can very quickly be fatal, especially in very young or older dogs. Also if they are "flat" ie not moving about, not really responsive. If they are puppies or oldies speak to your vet for their advice. Anything going on beyond 48 hours or if flat, needs veterinary attention.

If it's just a dietary upset then they can have very loose stools but at normal times and are otherwise fine. With diarrhoea they usually feel poorly and sorry for themselves.

This a great website with photos of diarrhoea - I do hope you're not eating :grnyuk: it's very helpful to explain to the vet what you are seeing and also gives an idea as to what is wrong

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/signs/diarrhoea.htm

the best thing usually is to starve them for 12-24 hours but make sure they are drinking, you can get rehydration sachets from the vet . I use something called Norbrook liquid life aid which is a rehydration fluid for livestock [also works for people!]

Diarsanyl paste or similar is good for reintroducing the good bacteria to the stomach, even a dessert spoon of probiotic yogurt once a day once the diarrhoea has stopped.

After really bad diarrhoea like this, when you reintroduce food, do it very gradually - something bland like boiled chicken or white fish and rice, or white pasta if they won't eat rice, just a dessert spoon at a time to start with. Yes mommytoClaire is right, you can put a bit of the broth in with it. It's good to put a sprig of parsley in with it to replace vitamins.

I hope Brooky is doing better. I thought I read before that mucus present in the stools indicates an infection, did you take her to the vet?

Mucus is an indication of irritation, the stomach produces extra mucus to try to coat the lining to protect it

Thanks for that Nicki. That website is actually helpful to keep in your bookmarks for reference (not to look at over tea! Ha). It is always hard to explain what you see, so pics help.

Brooky seems to be much better, not really passing any stool now today though...just a few small "nuggets" but they are hard-ish, so I am happy about that. Still keeping her food plain and low. She is drinking a lot of water though which encourages me. The vet said all these are good signs so I shouldnt need to come in unless it goes backward again.

Thanks for all your advice all! I think the worst part was having to give the poor girl a rinse in the tub every time she had a "movement", poor thing, it went everywhere...all over her white pretty feathers and down her legs. I felt so bad for her. Good thing I have a strong stomach...funny what doesn't gross you out when your body goes into overdrive mothering mode! :)

She was a big sook today, did not want to be alone for one second...so we just laid low and rested her up. Tonight she was running with her Kong Wubba Snugga all over the house, so things must be turnin up :)

Nalu had a bad bout of diarrhea recently and when she wasn't improving after 24 hours of liquid diet my vet had me bring in a sample to test. There was a lot of bacteria in the sample and she had a feaver. He treated her for it and recommended daily probiotics since she's such a fussy eater.

Back