• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Dogs HATE the rain

lscott

I have a terrible time getting my two to go out at all if it's raining. Windsor, the older one ( 18 months) is getting a litttle better about it, but my new little boy just freezes and won't move when we go out. They both have raincoats, thought at first maybe it was the coat that bothered him, so tried taking it off , but that made it worse. Does anyone else have this problem with their Cavaliers? Before I got my first Cavi, I had Labs, and they of course didn't mind the rain at all

When it rains my 3 don’t even want to go to do their toilet in the garden. After a while I have to force them out of the door and then they stand there not moving just looking at me to say let me back in.
Of course Labs are out in all weathers. LOL

Yeah, labs are so different!
Brooklyn has been known to hold it for a ridiculous amount of time when she might get her paws wet ;) rain coat or not, she looks at me like I am nuts if I try to take her out in the rain!

So, your not alone :) I used to worry that she would go inside, but she actually does hold it for that long! She won't go in the rain unless she is busting to go (where normally she will at least give me a courtesy pee if we go outside in nice weather)!

That's interesting. Our Chloe would go out to do toilet outside even in heavy rain and wind, well she goes out to munch grass (maybe similar to Brian's lots, Chloe is also half sheep) even when it rains, so I guess she is not afraid of rain or wind at all. We went for a short walk this morning to Orewa beach during high tides, with big waves and very windy and she went into the water still, up to half ankle like she always does. Maybe this is a good sign she will enjoy swimming, we'll be 'training' her in January. Have you tried getting Windsor and his brother to enjoy playing with water?

Mine too! They have to be REALLY in need of peeing, if it's raining! They also give me that "What ARE you thinking?"-look and trying to pull me towards the door :)

Well sounds like they are acting like true Cavaliers. They like water, will even splash in the puddles, just hate it when it's raining, and not wild about pottying in the wet grass. Windsor will hold it till he absolutely has to go , but Cambridge, being only 4 months, just seems to feel that any floor will do in case of rain. He won't even consider the porch even though it's covered. Trying to keep paper and puddle pads in front of the door during rain so at least maybe he'll get toward the correct area. This too shall pass, thank heavens I have hardwood floors and not carpeting!

Toby seems to love a hose. He will follow the water hose to bite at the water. He will go after the sprinklers to bite the water. BUT when it comes to walking on wet grass he has to be pushed. My husband will have to carry him out to the furthest part of the grass to get him to go. After we bought the boots (seen in the puppy photos section) he will go out there on his own without being carried or pushed. We do not pamper him everyday with the boots but he has NO issues wearing them at all. Just a thought.

Becky

Mine aren't crazy about the rain. Murphy will go for a walk happier than just pottying in the garden though. If it's raining and he just needs a toilet break he is straight out and back in again. Misty is the opposite, she'll do the garden fine, but hates walking in the rain. Even with her jacket on, if the rain comes on too heavy I need to put her on her lead, as twice getting near home she has twice decided to go home by herself:yikes

Yet, if we are in the forest and there is a muddy puddle, they veer towards it of course :rolleyes:

None of my dogs ever liked the rain, as puppies, but they had to get over it and learned to tolerate it. When we got Sophie as a pup, that was one of the rainiest seasons we'd had in ages. She's always taken out on a leash, so with house-training etc., she learned that rain happens. Now she seems to never notice rain, which can drive me mad since I am on the other end of the leash. Each dog has their own personality, which makes them all so interesting.

My youngest Flash doesn't mind the rain or the mud. He goes about his normal buisness. Now Holly on the other hand will NOT get her feet wet. If I physical put her outside she freezes. Even if just the ground is wet. I found putting her on the gravel driveway helps. She will potty quickly and run to me so I can carry her back inside. Blitz doesn't mind the wet ground but won't go out in heavy rain.

We acquired Bentley in Jan with a foot of snow on the ground. He was 10 wks and loved to go pee in the snow. Then came the cool, rainy spring that nearly killed me but did not bother him, followed by an extremely hot, dry summer in which he forgot what rain was. Now he's a little skittish about going out in rain. I dread winter!

My Dougall will get Graham out of bed to go to the toilet. Like an idiot, Graham will obey. get up and open the door for him. Dougall will stick his head out, if it is raining he will twitch his nose and give you the "you have to be joking" look. Dougall will hold on for hours, I think Graham is begining to realise, Dougall does not need to be let out in the middle of the night.

As far as Molly is concerned, there is absolutely no chance she will get her feet wet, day or night.

Dotty doesn't care, "when a girl has to pee, a girl has to pee" no matter what the weather :badgrin:

My second dog, Rufus, used to be a bit doubtful about going out to wee in the rain. Often when it was raining, he'd ask to go out of the front door instead of the back one, to see if it was perhaps better weather that side of the house. He actually loved water although he'd never actually swim, and would sing his joy when we went on a walk that took us near his favourite ponds.

I think maybe that it's the feeling of heavy raindrops beating down on them that some dogs don't care for? I can remember my first puppy's first experience being caught out in a really heavy shower on a walk - he was terrified by this sudden watery attack on him and tried to hide under my skirt.

Rosemary

Quite funny our little cavaliers... JB refused to go out in the rain, (I live in Seattle, think everyday), even though I had a covered patio. Needless to say our potty training took a long time to accomplish. He's finally going out in the rain, and doesn't seem to mind it too much anymore!
Hopefully your two will soon grow more comfortable with the rain, and at the least tolerate it.

Back