• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's Murmur - CO Q10 or Ubiquinol

Brian M

HI

I have been giving all the girls CO Q10 for a few years but over the last six months I have switched Poppy
and Daisy to Ubiquinol and kept Rosie and Lily on CO Q10 but have been advised to keep them all on CO Q10
and keep Ubiquinol as a reserve until there is a deterioration in Daisy's heart condition .

Anybody any thoughts please.

http://ubiquinol.org/coq10-ubiquinol-comparison

Brian - it probably makes very little difference. There is some evidence that ubiquinol is more bio-available that the CoQ10 form, but I haven't studied that in depth. I'm about to switch my dogs over to ubiquinol myself now that Puritan's Pride has another big sale. And none of my dogs have a murmur yet so no evidence of heart disease - but since three are ages 9, 11 and 14 - they get the supplement anyway since they are seniors. I'd say that if you can afford the ubiquinol and it doesn't affect your budget, I'd go with that form. If it's a financial strain, I'd stick with CoQ-10.

Neither CoQ-10 nor omega 3 fish oils are miracle "treatments" or "cures" for anything. I simply think of these supplements as helping dogs' bodies deal with chronic major organ diseases (heart, kidney, etc.) and also helping their bodies deal with the process of aging. I give both supplements to my old dogs. The 14 year old does have early chronic kidney disease. She also gets subq fluids which I give at home for the same reason - to help her aging body and kidneys to work more efficiently.

Pat

Last edited:
Hi Pat

Thanks for your reply .I put Daisy and Poppy on Ubiquinol as soon as I read about it approx six months ago ,so
we have Daisy with her murmur at 4 1/2 yrs old and Pops clear aged 5 both on Ubiquinol and Rosie aged 4 yrs and
Lily aged 3 yrs on COQ 10 .I will keep these two on COQ10 until they get to 5 then change them to Ubiquinol or
before if needed .

Back