• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CHF scare today, phew...

MurphysMummy

Well today we took Murphy to the cardiologist. He was very miserable when we got there and just flumped on the floor... Today was only for a psychical examination and questionnaire but because Murphys heart rate had gone up, she needed to x-ray him as she thought he was going in to heart failure. I burst out crying.
We went off for half an hour whilst Murphy was x-rayed, I was panicking and so upset as Murphy is around 7 now, so I expected this to happen even though I don't want it to. We went back and she came out with Murphy with all smiles, he has detoriated but not yet in CHF. Phew, what a relief. I know Murphy is going to be a little fighter. It is so hard to think positive knowing heart failure will eventually happen, but for now we will treasure every moment we get and adore the time we spend together. Thanks to murphys cardiologist Sarah who is amazing. :)

That is scary and I know just how you feel. A few months ago I took Sydney to his regular vet just to get his anal sacs clesned. Befort that even happened the vet listened to his heart. Very calmly she said to my he developed a severe arrythemia (he already had MVD and CHF) and I needed to take him to the cardioligist immediately. She called them ahead to let them know we were comming. I sar there crying like a baby and shaking like a leaf. I had to call my husband to come and get us since I couldn't drive at that point.

Sorry Murphy had detoritated. Hopefully it will be a long time before the CHF.

My Riley has SM, but whenever I read a post about cavaliers with MVD I think that scares me more than SM does. Maybe it's just because I'm already dealing with SM, but every post about MVD just breaks my heart. I wish that Murphy and Sydney could live long lives without any kind of distress and that Scooby hadn't died so young from his heart failure. I'm so thankful that my 3 seniors are all murmur free (cardiologist confirmed).

Tania, I'm glad that Murphy is o.k. now and your heart rate is probably back to normal too. Like you said, we just have to treasure each and every moment.

Sorry to hear about your scare :( It's really good that you are seeing a cardiologist as that gives Murphy the best possible chance, they have the experience and knowledge to manage medication to keep the dog as fit as possible for as long as possible.

Sometimes it feels like living with a timebomb :( but we have to enjoy all the precious moments and take each day as it comes, probably THE most important thing with Cavaliers healthwise is to keep them slim - so that we are not putting any extra strain on their hearts.

Glad there was some positive news and yes -- savour that time with him! What others say is all so true.

Oh what a day for you. I will continue to think about and pray for Murphy. Every moment is a special one with these guys, and I know he will be so happy to be enjoying them with you!!

That must have been terrible for you.
I know what it's like being told bad news and then you worry so much and then the outcome is better then first expected. Is Murphy on medication yet?

That must have been so scary. Thank goodness he had help right there at the right moment.

Back