• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy problems!

dougdog

hi, I've got a 13 week old puppy and we've had him since 5 weeks. he was really settled and has slept right through the night 12-7.30 almost every night since we've had him. he's never been a big eater though and were a bit worried, we kept him on the breeders food at first and had to take him to the vets as he wasn't eating! they said he was fine and gave us some sensitivity and science plan food and some welpie, we've since weened him off that and he's now on burns (due to people's advice on here) but he's really not too fused, he'll eat a fair amount but doesn't exactly throw it down and he seems to be getting skinnier as he grows. his toilet training has taken a backward step too, he seems to hold it in forever on burns, any ideas?

also, we've been taking him out on walks following his 2nd injections the last few weeks but. he won't go toilet anywhere apart from our garden, is this common and something they grow out of?

thanks

rich

How often are you feeding him? When I got my newest boy, he was a bit under weight and was not eating well, although he came from a rescue and had a rough start. ( Hernia, respritory infection, intestinal bug; all treated before I got him) . I soaked his kibble in the puppy milk for a while and mashed it up some with a fork; fed him 3 times a day, and gave him a saucer of warm puppy milk before he went in his crate for the night. I gradually reduced the amount of milk in the kibble, and once he started gaining and eating well, I stopped the evening milk. He is doing great now, eats 3 times/day, about 1/4 cup of kibble morning, noon and night, with 1/2 teaspoon of canned wet puppy food mixed in morning and night. ( no more milk) I feed Merrick and both dogs have done very well on it. Took him awhile, but he now loves his Mother Hubbard treats too. He has went from having to be coaxed to eat, to now seeing how fast he can eat his food and then try to steal some of his brothers! Hope you get your little one straightened out. If he continues not to eat, I would consult the vet again. Has he been weighed? He may be gaining and just not showing it. I would be concerned if he was loosing weight, definately.

he won't go toilet anywhere apart from our garden, is this common and something they grow out of?

thanks

rich

One of my dogs Trapper usually only ever poops in our garden - he very rarely poops when we are out walking him, unless we are away from home - then it's a different matter. He has been like this from very early on, and for us it doesn't bother us at all.
It may be that it just hasn't occurred to your little guy yet that he can do his business when he's out with you.

Back