• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tricolour markings?

LJW

Has anyone got a tricolour adult with the same markings as my puppy, Bobby? He has all black head and back, with all white chin, legs and tummy and a white end section on this tail. He has tan markings in the usual spots on his eyebrows, inside ears and legs and only a small white smudge next to his nose. I would love to see what he will look like when he's older but all pictures of tricolour show the typical markings of white nose, head and back?

Hi, I'd say he'll remain the same when he gets older. My Belle has similar markings, and she actually had a small thin blaze on her head as a pup, which disappeared when she got older and her coat got thicker. I love the black-headed tri-colours, they're cool.

The other markings you describe sound like he's wearing a little tuxedo! lol.

His markings are not correct for the breed standard, but that doesn't matter unless you were planning to show him, health and temperament are far more important :D

Sometimes it's a sign of an irresponsible breeder, but it sounds from your other thread like your breeder is health testing etc.

As the black fur grows in, it covers over the white patches making them appear to "shrink" . He may be the product of a heavily marked Tricolour to Tricolour mating [the white blaze between the eyes often disappears with this mating] Perhaps a Black and Tan parent? Did you see his Mum? Breeder should have shown you his Mum at the very least and his siblings, or photos of them if he was the last puppy left, and should have shown you a photo of his Dad.

This was Lauren at 7 days old, we said she was marked like a Freisian cow!!

medium.jpg

For some reason I can't post from Flickr to put up her adult photo but will have a go later!!

Oz has what I've been told is a blanket coat which sounds like what Bobby has. Oz is four years old now and looks just like his mother. Like Belle, he had a thin white blaze as a puppy, but that has disappeared now. He has just a bit of white on his nose, but that is almost totally covered with brown freckles. His head and back are totally black, absolutely no white, going down to his tail, with the end section being a mix of black and white. All of his paws are white with some brown freckles. He does have the typical brown markings on his eybrows and inside ears. I'm so used to looking at him being all black, that I saw a more black and white tri-color the other day and almost asked if it was a cavalier!!!

Thanks Nicki. I met both parents with typical tricolour markings, he's not for show and I quite like that he's different. He does look black and tan on the top with the white underside and tail, the blanket description mentioned on here is a good one too. I've not seen an adult one like him yet.

Lovemycavaliers - I looked at your picture and an guessing which one is Oz and yes he does look like my Bobby :), I like your blanket description. Bobby has less White around his nose which I'm finding is very unusual. It will be good to compare pictures as they grow as they seem pretty unique.

He is exquisite!!! I can't wait to see more pics of him. :snap: I am fascinated by his markings! Were all of his siblings marked like him too?

Sonny's grandmother has the blanket coat and she is beautiful!!!! But she didn't have the adorable all black and tan face like little Bobby.

It is so fun to see all of the similarities and differences in cavaliers. I am in contact with most of the owners of Sonny's siblings and we are constantly sending each other pictures to compare and contrast their features, weight, health, behavior and ect.

I have seen one or two tricolours marked like this over the years I have had Cavaliers. I have been showing since 1983, so have either bred or seen quite a few I can tell you.

So far as showing a dog marked like this is concerned, any competent judge should take into account that markings are only the docoration on the top of the cake and that there are many more important features of the dog to assess when making a decision. I have a friend with a really heavily marked tricolour who had several Best of Breed awards during her show career.

Back