Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gabapentin

Post Thanks / Like

Cavluvver wrote: when I look at him he seems to squint and seems to find it difficult to raise his eyes

I got Oliver at a year old and right from the start he squinted in strong sunlight or when looking up at bright light - when I breed showed him and he was looking up at me in the ring he would squint if he was also looking directly at fluorescent lighting in the ceiling. Neither I nor my vet thought anything of this at the time - it was just the way Oliver was. Now I know that his dilated ventricles interfere with the mechanism that controls his pupils - they close too slowly and don't close completely, so that he can't prevent strong light getting into his eyes. Fortunately - so far - there is no damage to his retina. He's fine on our normal walks, as he usually has his nose to the ground so isn't looking at the sky and sun. But when he is lying down looking out on sunshine, even if he is in the shade himself, he starts to squint and is obviously beginning a headache. After one really bad episode, I keep a watchful eye on him and either move him away from the sun or put his sun hat on (a fetching tan baseball cap!), so the problem is pretty well under control.

So what that rather long explanation is saying is yes, keep an eye on Rossi's squinting - it can be just a normal reaction to sunlight, to protect the eyes, but it could be yet another symptom of his SM (the list does seem to be endless...).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rossi's operation

Well we're off to Chestergates again with Rossi tomorrow for the operation to put a screw in his leg to prevent it breaking. I am dreading it, we have to leave him overnight and pick him back up on Thursday. I hope he's not going to be in a lot of pain afterwards. What with this and his sm which doesn't seem to be improving with the tramadol either. As I said before, when we see the neurologist again I am going to ask him if we can try omeprozole. My son still hasn't got a date for the removal of his thyroid tumour yet either. It's disgusting, he had his pre-op almost 2 months ago. It's just one thing on top of another at the moment but you can get through anything if you have support can't you?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you are under so much stress at the moment. We'll be thinking of Rossi tomorrow, once he gets over the hurdle of his leg op then you can focus on his sm. As for your son, well I think it's disgraceful that you are left waiting for a date, poor lad. Hope everything goes ok tomorrow xx

Post Thanks / Like

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping that your son is going to get the date for his op soon.

I am sorry but in my opinion you need to change your neurologist
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't wait to see rossi

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. We are off to pick Rossi up shortly, it's an hour and a half drive, but I can't wait to get him home. Apparently, the surgery want well and the screw is noe in place to hold the bone in his leg together so it won't break. He's been there since yesterday morning at 8.30 am and I have missed him so much and keep thinking I hear him following me around the house. They say he hasn't eaten anything, even when they try to hand feed him, so that means that he hasn't had any food since Tuesday teatime. Oh my poor baby I just want to get him home and comfort him. Then it will be dealing with the sm again and finding the right meds. I let you all know how he is later.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I hope he eats when he's back in the comfort of home. I'm so glad the operation went well. What kind of restriction is he on for movement? So glad he's coming home and you'll be able to cuddle him.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cavluvver View Post
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes. We are off to pick Rossi up shortly, it's an hour and a half drive, but I can't wait to get him home. Apparently, the surgery want well and the screw is noe in place to hold the bone in his leg together so it won't break. He's been there since yesterday morning at 8.30 am and I have missed him so much and keep thinking I hear him following me around the house. They say he hasn't eaten anything, even when they try to hand feed him, so that means that he hasn't had any food since Tuesday teatime. Oh my poor baby I just want to get him home and comfort him. Then it will be dealing with the sm again and finding the right meds. I let you all know how he is later.

He will soon be home with you and you can spoil him, cuddle him and give him all his favourite things to eat.

At least this will be one of the complications in your life dealt with for now.

Give Rossi a gentle hug from me.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh let us know how he goes on? Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rossi's back home

Sorry I haven't posted till now but the last couple of days has been so hectic. Thanks again for all your good wishes. We picked Rossi up on Thursday teatime and the surgeon said that all had gone well. We couldn't believe how lively Rossi was and that he was walking perfectly well on the leg, no limp at all. The surgeon told us that Rossi was to be walked on a tight lead, 4 times a day for 10 mins and he was not to be allowed to jump om furniture or knees, one jump could mean the screw implant would break. We were also to be vigilant in watching the wound, which is open to the air, for any signs of infection. Rossi was not to lick it so has to wear an elizabethan collar when we are not with him and he totally freaks when it's on him. We have to carry on with the tramadol that the neurologist had now prescribed for his sm, which doesn't seem to be helping by the way, and also give him antibiotics. Rossi wolfed down the food that I had taken for him as he hdn't eaten for 2 days and had the longest drink of water I had ever seen him have. He also slept all evening as he seemed exhausted. The only problem has been keeping a very excitable dog like Rossi from jumping up on furniture and on people. As i look after my 2 three year old grandsons it was a nightmare trying to give them my attention while following Rossi from room to room making sure he didn't jump up. I felt like I was nagging the boys most of the time and felt very guilty when they had gone. We have noticed also since yesterday, Rossi has started limping again. We are not sure if he has damaged the screw or if it a reaction to moving around more. We are going to have to see how he goes this weekend and if we don't see an improvement by Monday morning give the surgeon a ring. Nothing is ever straight forward is it? Last night I had a good old cry but we have to keep going for them, don't we?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cavluvver View Post
    Sorry I haven't posted till now but the last couple of days has been so hectic. Thanks again for all your good wishes. We picked Rossi up on Thursday teatime and the surgeon said that all had gone well. We couldn't believe how lively Rossi was and that he was walking perfectly well on the leg, no limp at all. The surgeon told us that Rossi was to be walked on a tight lead, 4 times a day for 10 mins and he was not to be allowed to jump om furniture or knees, one jump could mean the screw implant would break. We were also to be vigilant in watching the wound, which is open to the air, for any signs of infection. Rossi was not to lick it so has to wear an elizabethan collar when we are not with him and he totally freaks when it's on him. We have to carry on with the tramadol that the neurologist had now prescribed for his sm, which doesn't seem to be helping by the way, and also give him antibiotics. Rossi wolfed down the food that I had taken for him as he hdn't eaten for 2 days and had the longest drink of water I had ever seen him have. He also slept all evening as he seemed exhausted. The only problem has been keeping a very excitable dog like Rossi from jumping up on furniture and on people. As i look after my 2 three year old grandsons it was a nightmare trying to give them my attention while following Rossi from room to room making sure he didn't jump up. I felt like I was nagging the boys most of the time and felt very guilty when they had gone. We have noticed also since yesterday, Rossi has started limping again. We are not sure if he has damaged the screw or if it a reaction to moving around more. We are going to have to see how he goes this weekend and if we don't see an improvement by Monday morning give the surgeon a ring. Nothing is ever straight forward is it? Last night I had a good old cry but we have to keep going for them, don't we?
    Yes, you do have to keep going and so you must make it a little easier for yourself.

With two lively little boys and an excitable dog it feels as if you may be trying to do the impossible. You need to make a pen or buy a crate to keep Rossi in when you are busy and unable to watch him.

He may not like being shut away but you should harden your heart because it is for his own good. A little tough love is needed until that leg has healed.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi