• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Syringomyelia

Where are you from?

• Total voters

Ladyglove

Hi, I haven't gotten my pup yet but after reading all the horrible things about Syringomyelia I'm seriously considering not buying her after all.

My main problem is everyone says that that's it's responsible breeding that's important. The breeder I'm getting my dog from doesn't really know about the dog's petagree. See the woman he bought the mother and father from was seriously ill when he bought the 2 plus another female. He didn't realize at the the time that the female was already pregnant. So he can't tell me too much about the genetics. (he does offer a health guarantee of 4 months)

I know many of you will say don't bother buying the pup, but I've wanted a Cav for a very long time and the only other breeder that's remotely close is over 7 hours away, and I don't know for sure that breeder's reputable.

I did contact several breeder asking about Syringomyelia and one said in 6 years she's only had 1 pup that had no outward signs.
Another breeder said that it was mostly due to inbreeding in the UK, and that she had never had a diagnosed case.
Yet another breeder said that although it is a concern it's not as widespread as some people would claim. (she also cited the inbreeding)

So basically I have to ask, is it worth it? I'm not rich. I can afford the basic care of a dog, but anything too expensive (such as an MRI) I could never afford. Is it mostly a UK thing? Or if the dog does have it, is it usually not too severe?

Thanks to everyone who responds.

EDIT: Since it is a question that has been brought up (by a breeder) and even though it's been dismissed by all of you, I am curious just how many of you are in fact from the UK.

Last edited:
Hiya,

this is a really tough one but i'd thought i'd say something as I don't want you to get upset with anyones replies on here.

I've been on this forum since my first dog was Diagnosed with SM and to say its been a tough journey would be the understateement of the year, and I'm up at 5am to get to my neurologist to have my little man MRI'd with the asumtion that he has SM too.

Iwon't quote facts and figures to you as there are plenty of members on here that will do that with more experience.

The majority of members here have dogs that are living with SM, and if not SM then MVD and we raise money and awaareness though Rupert's Fund which was named after a mem bers dog Rupert at the start of last year.

We have new members joining daily asking for help after they have had the dreaded diagnosis of SM.

And it isn't cheap- I pay over £200 a month in medications for my little lady to keep her pain free, insureance is close to £100 a month and repeat MRIs if needed are close to £2000 these days.

What you will find from other members is that the advise is to only buy from a health focused breeder wo MRI's there breeding stock and heart/eye/DNA tests for Dry Eye and Curly Coat.

Cavaiers have so so many health issues and we have members on this forum who have been campaigning for years to stop people doing what you are about to do, which is to buy a puppy from completely unknown background - you may as well be buying from a pet shop.

I'm sorry if it upsets you, but unfortunately it is the horrid truth that is the state of this breed at the momment!

Hiya,

this is a really tough one but i'd thought i'd say something as I don't want you to get upset with anyones replies on here.

I've been on this forum since my first dog was Diagnosed with SM and to say its been a tough journey would be the understateement of the year, and I'm up at 5am to get to my neurologist to have my little man MRI'd with the asumtion that he has SM too.

Iwon't quote facts and figures to you as there are plenty of members on here that will do that with more experience.

The majority of members here have dogs that are living with SM, and if not SM then MVD and we raise money and awaareness though Rupert's Fund which was named after a mem bers dog Rupert at the start of last year.

We have new members joining daily asking for help after they have had the dreaded diagnosis of SM.

And it isn't cheap- I pay over £200 a month in medications for my little lady to keep her pain free, insureance is close to £100 a month and repeat MRIs if needed are close to £2000 these days.

What you will find from other members is that the advise is to only buy from a health focused breeder wo MRI's there breeding stock and heart/eye/DNA tests for Dry Eye and Curly Coat.

Cavaiers have so so many health issues and we have members on this forum who have been campaigning for years to stop people doing what you are about to do, which is to buy a puppy from completely unknown background - you may as well be buying from a pet shop.

I'm sorry if it upsets you, but unfortunately it is the horrid truth that is the state of this breed at the momment!

I'm not upset, I want honest answers.

I realize that it's not a good idea to buy with an unknown background.

But may I point out that you are from the UK, where all studies I've come across are held. Like I said before one breeder said it IS a problem for all Cav's but even more prevalent in UK lines due to inbreeding.

Hi and welcome to the board. :)

Cavaliers are a wonderful breed but sadly one which carries a heavy burden of potential health issues, some very serious. All pedigree dogs will have some risk of breed-related health issues but MVD and SM in cavaliers are both common and can be very painful and debilitating as well as costly to treat over many years.

You are right to give some consideration to health issues in the breed and to decide whether you feel the attractions of the breed match a commitment to dealing with the risk of some of these potentially serious problems.

Almost every cavalier will get MVD, with half having murmurs (the start of the disease) by age 5. If your breeder has not cardiologist screened both breeding dogs, isn't familiar with the heart health background on both sides, and doesn't know if all four grandparents were still heart clear at age 5, he shouldn't be breeding. Dogs bred outside the MVD protocol stand a considerably higher risk of early onset MVD in offspring (eg by age 5 or even earlier). SM is extremely prevalent in the breed as well with estimates now at about 70% eventually having a syrinx. Fortunately most will not be symptomatic or will be only mildly affected but many here can testify to how common this condition is, in the US as well as Australia, the UK, the Netherlands, Ireland...I have had five cavaliers and three have SM; two also have, or have had (died from) MVD.

It is absolutely untrue that the problem is mostly in the UK (see a recent thread on this, where someone else had a breeder give them this line too: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39638-Need-CM-SM-stats-please). All cavaliers are closely related and all are descended from the same dozen or so dogs in the UK after World War II so the genetics are very similar. Many of the studies on SM prevalance have been done in the US and (as expected) the rates at which dogs were affected were pretty much the same as in the UK and elsewhere.

It would be very sad for the breed, as well as bringing a much higher health risk for any puppy, to support a breeder who doesn't MRI scan parent dogs, doesn't cardiologist test, and is so ignorant or deliberately deceptive as to try to convince you that US dogs are less affected with these problems. :( There's lots of information here on what to look for in a good, responsible breeder and many people travel to work with a health focused breeder.

The breed desperately needs puppy buyers to be responsible in choosing a breeder as it is truly under threat for survival. (y)

Working with a responsible breeder is very rewarding in so many ways and gives the best chance of having a healthy cavalier. :)

www.cavalierhealth.org lists all the various studies and includes US studies.

Hello, and welcome to the board!

First and foremost, I want to applaud the fact that you have dug into your research and are asking these (really tough) questions. It is so hard when you want a dog, or a certain breed so badly, but like you said just opening up the conversation for some honest answers is the way to go because it is a confusing world out there with breeders and opinions of so many. So don't think you are alone in the confusion!

I itterate what everyone else has already state. I SO hate to say this, but I would really not purchase this pup. I know you want one right away, but waiting a bit longer and going to a little more trouble to secure a healthy dog will be so worth it in the long run...not only financially...but also, most of us can tell you, that seeing a dog suffer in pain because of inappropriate breeding standards rips your heart in two on an hourly basis. Now I know you said that he acquired the dog pregnant, so I will not get into his particular standards of breeding, but it is important for you and the pup that it comes from health certified parents. Trust me, you think "it won't happen to me" and when it does, you will wish you could turn back time.

Also, I will second that it is not a UK problem at all. I am in Australia, where breeders are just now starting to scan their dogs and I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the lines "it does not exist here", "none of my dogs have ever been returned sick", etc etc. But the truth of the matter is that it does happen even here to. I know many cav just in my area that have SM and Brookyn's neurologist said that 50% plus in Australia are affected, so what people are saying about it being a UK problem is just not true. Unfortunately, most people never return a dog and don't end up telling their breeder or even getting a correct diagnosis, so unless the breeder scans, there is no way on earth they can tell you that their dogs have never been affected.

I know how hard this is. I wanted a cavalier for a while, and since there are not many scanning breeders near me either, I ALMOST bought a pup that came available from a really nice lady (but no health scans). I decided last minute not to, but it was really hard! I remember crying that day because I had already met her and wanted her so much! I thought "I will give her a good home and life", but my knowledge got the better of me and won over my heart. 6 months later I was able to find a health conscious scanning breeder (though very far from me) and I was put on her waiting list. When a pup came up, my hubby and I went for a long road trip to meet our future dog when she was only 6 week. We got to meet the whole litter, the mother and father, ask the tough questions and the breeder even asked us some tough ones too. We left that day knowing we had made the right decision. It was worth the extra gas, the waiting, and the dog that we have now. There are still no guarantees in their lives, but she will have the best shot now.

I would look into breeders that might be willing to transport for you, meet you half way or even use a transport service (not the mail kinds, ha! but for pets...there are a lot of them). People even fly their dogs in sometimes (though this is expensive...a car transport animal service would be much cheaper).

So that is just my opinion but I want you to know that I really do understand how hard of a cross road this is for you. Most of us have been there. But knowing that you mentioned you could not afford the very expensive care of an SM dog, it is best then to get a dog from a scanning breeder where you will be confident in knowing that the pup has the best chance and you will have a long happy and healthy life together. So please keep looking, it will be worth it...for you, for the breed and for the health of your new puppy.

And again, thank you for asking what are some tough questions and being brave enough to even be honest about your thoughts as well. It is a hard thing to do. Good luck!

I am a new pup owner, did the research beforehand for a reputable breeder through the kennel club, saw health certificates, pedigree, and parents etc. However, since joining this forum, I wish I'd done even more as I'd not realised that SM is almost inevitable for every Cavalier :(, that is the impression I am getting as I'm learning more and I'm constantly looking for symptoms and dreading seeing them when he's older!

Yes, that can happen LJW...but try not to worry too much. I know we all do, but there is also (if your little one came from a good breeder) a likelihood that he won't have SM at all too. I think you hear more about it on here too since this is more of a health focused forum...so it can always make you (all of us!) hyper aware and a bit paranoid about every scratch, itch and movement! Been there done that! But there are also so many other things that can cause those symptoms and frankly it can also normal dog behavior too (which makes it even more confusing) Though, I know how hard it is to distinguish "normal" when "is this SM?!" is always in the back of your head.

But enjoy your dog for right now, try to learn your dog (I.e. What is "excessive" for some is normal for others) and try to stay positive!! Remember that there are cavs who don't have SM, and not everyone will go through that. I remember you other post where you are concerned about a few things, but so much has to be ruled out first, and you might be surprised! :) So enjoy and keep your head up...it is not always a bad verdict even though it is so easy for us to analyze every movement and time will tell as you move through puppyhood with your dog ;) Yes, SM is a reality, but it can also make us over paranoid too...it's all about balance.

Hi

I have four Cavaliers Poppy ,Daisy ,Rosie and Lily .Rosie has been diagnosed by MRI with CM last Oct and Daisy
was diagnosed by MRI with SM and CM this August .After diagnosis for me it just makes them that bit more special and
like all living things that you know are not well you seem to want to care for them even more if thats even
possible as they are already that special ,special breed of wonder dog we call Cavaliers.:)

Hello and welcome to the board.
the woman he bought the mother and father from was seriously ill when he bought the 2 plus another female. He didn't realize at the the time that the female was already pregnant.

If he didn't plan the mating the sad reality is the puppies may not even be purebred cavaliers.
As regards Syringomyelia,it's not uniquely a UK problem.Many USA cavaliers are bred from Irish puppy farm and exported as breeding stock.My oldest cavalier bitch has it and it's not something you'd wish on any living creature in it's symptomatic form.
It seems to be a condition that's been in the breed from probably the very early days of the breed and has only recently emerged into the public domain as a result of improved medical technology like MRI scanners being available to vets.
Nowadays we're all careful about where we spend our hard earned money.
If you have your heart set on a cavalier,then maybe consider a rescue cavalier,but make sure you take pet insurance.I would never hand over a cent to a breeder who did not have the best interest of the puppy buyer and the welfare of the breed as top priority.
Sins

Hi and welcome to the board. :) www.cavalierhealth.org lists all the various studies and includes US studies.
I must be blind but I didn't see any US studies about Syringomyelia, could you give me a direct link? I hear what everyone is saying, and like BrooklynMom I already saw her. She was a touch standoffish with my mom but she made a beeline straight for me and when I picked her up she cuddled under my chin and give me kisses. I think as dog lovers you know how that felt LOL. So this is so very hard. I hear what everyone is saying, I really do but according to some hardly anyone should have a dog. You should only buy from reputable breeders, but there are very few truly reputable breeders out there and they want astronomical prices for their pups. I'm not saying your not right, but what about the mutts out there? Anyway, I am listening. Even though I sound defensive (Maybe a touchhttp://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif but I also want to take a look at the other side. My main question hasn't really been answered. How common is it for SM to get bad enough for it to require medication or (goodness forbid) putting the dog to sleep?

Thank you brooklynmom, I am not getting the impression that any cavaliers are SM free for life which is where the worry comes from. Your comments are very reassuring and I have relaxed a bit already since my last thread with worries thanks again.

I must be blind but I didn't see any US studies about Syringomyelia, could you give me a direct link?QUOTE]

First let me say I am from the USA and had a dog with SM. Here is a direct link to the Canine Chiari Institute (IN THE USA) where there is a guide book with some studies. This is not a condition in one country. NC State Vet did a study in 2006 and LIVS has ongoing studies but I am not sure why that matters since I can tell you flat out that it is NOT specific to certain countries.

http://www.caninechiariinstitute.org/patient-center/what-is-chiari

I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh but I have to.

You said,

"How common is it for SM to get bad enough for it to require medication or (goodness forbid) putting the dog to sleep?"

SM is common and you can see statistics and I am not sure how many are symptomatic but I don't think this question should even be a factor. Think about early onset MVD, patella issues, hip displaysia, eye problems. Sins mentioned that you don't even know if it is a full breed Cavalier. You get what you pay for and unfortunately that doesn't sink in.

Sins mentioned rescue. If you are in the USA, I know there are several rescue organizations. I have a bundle of joy, Elton, that came from rescue.

Good luck but please don't pay a penny for a puppy that did not come from a breeder that knows nothing about history, breeding, health, standards, etc.

Just wanted to say Elton (my rescue) is not the one who had SM.

LJW,

Brooklyn's Mom gave good advice. It is good to know what to look for but you HAVE to enjoy your puppy. Don't let anything take that time away because that's so important.

I am sure Rod Russell will post some quotes from his site but here is the link again http://cavalierhealth.com/syringomyelia.htm

Names like Drs. Cerda-Gonzalez and Olby, Dr. Marino, Dr. Dewey, are some from the USA. The link I provided before also has a question of how common is it and heritability. Some of these studies have % that vary because of who was participating in study and if it included symptomatic cavaliers. Just know that having to go through the emotion of having a cavalier with SM that was very symptomatic, it is hard to see someone want to spend money for a puppy with no history. I know that the cavalier was already pregnant, but I don't know why they are still asking for money.

I have had a puppy from a good breeder who ended up having severe SM. (Ella had all other health testing except parents did not have MRI but very few breeders in the USA were doing that in 2005). I never blamed the breeder and was thankful she did do several other health tests at the time and the parents were older. She brought a lot of joy even with the SM and was worth every penny but it was an emotional roller coaster.

I now have a rescue that is about to turn 5 that I got in July. He has also brought me a lot of joy. I know nothing about his pedigree or history of parents, but I did get one almost 5 and he has vet records. That was important to me. If I ever get a puppy, believe me, I would drive or fly or go anywhere if I spent money for that so that it came from a breeder that I knew had the best interest of the breed.

I must be blind but I didn't see any US studies about Syringomyelia, could you give me a direct link?

Yes. The webpages on http://cavalierhealth.org about SM are these:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/smprotocol.htm

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/sm-mri-screeningprotocol.htm

Summaries of nearly every veterinary research report on SM, those from the USA and elsewhere, are listed here:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#Veterinary_Resources

... My main question hasn't really been answered. How common is it for SM to get bad enough for it to require medication or (goodness forbid) putting the dog to sleep?

I don't know how common it is, but CM/SM in the breed is very common -- like 50+% -- and CM/SM is progressive, which means that it can -- and likely will -- get worse as time goes by. So, you should proceed by assuming that your new cavalier will develop SM and that it will need medication and/or surgery.

One thing I don't understand is the focus on US versus the world. Maybe I missed something you wrote previously. Are you saying that some breeder told you that SM is only a problem in the UK? If so, that is an absurdity, a geographical excuse for a genetic problem. Believe me, if the problem exists in the UK, then it either already does exist everywhere else or soon will. The one thing that all of this breed has in common is its UK roots.

Unforunately Ladyglove it is very common for SM to get bad enough to require medication. I don't know many SM dogs who get along without any type of medication, and again, unfortunately, the drug cocktail usually increases the longer the dog has SM - although not always. My SM dog, Riley, was diagnosed with severe and advanced SM and had decompression surgery 3 and 1/2 years ago. She is doing really well now but she will never be a normal dog as the SM damaged her vestibular system and the damage cannot be repaired. She still takes daily medication (prednisone) and will for the rest of her life, but she is a happy dog and loves life. I am so thankful that I was able to afford her surgery as the typical SM meds as well as some not so typical medications given pre-operatively had no effect on her.

Some dogs do have to be put to sleep because of SM, but I think the vast majority of them cope really well with medication and/or surgery. I have no statistics though, that's just a gut feeling. No matter, it is heartbreaking to see your dog suffer from SM. Most of the time Riley seems to function fairly normally, but when the SM kicks in (and it still does, even after surgery), a piece of my heart is torn out. Especially because she always looks at me right after as if she's letting me know that she's okay. I just want to gather her in my arms and hold her forever, but she's still in too fragile a state at that point. No dog should have to suffer that.

I would still get another cavalier though. But I would walk into it with my eyes wide open. When I got my four I did not know about SM. I did know about MVD and met the MVD free parents and grandparents of all but Oliver who I bought ignorantly from a backyard breeder. When I'm ready to buy another I will only buy from a breeder who MRI scans the parents.

I know the position you're in though having already seen the puppy. You're in love already. That's what this breed does so well is work their way into your heart in about two seconds flat! I hate to say it, but the best thing to do is to walk away. Find another breeder, one who health tests the dogs. Depending on where you are, there are people on this board who could help you locate a responsible breeder. Despite all the advice about SM and MVD that's been given, if you can't find it in your heart to walk away, then get a good pet insurance right away that would cover both conditions. Good luck.

One thing I don't understand is the focus on US versus the world. Maybe I missed something you wrote previously. Are you saying that some breeder told you that SM is only a problem in the UK? If so, that is an absurdity, a geographical excuse for a genetic problem. Believe me, if the problem exists in the UK, then it either already does exist everywhere else or soon will. The one thing that all of this breed has in common is its UK roots.

Yes Rod, read the first part of the post. I don't think this puppy but other breeders she contacted said it's a problem in the UK due to inbreeding, etc. Must be the water :sl*p:

I'm in the USA (Texas) and have 3 Cavaliers badly affected by CM/SM.

The puppy I bought came to me at 12 weeks showing sever symptoms and at 6 months old his symptoms were extreme! A long story short many months later I ended up with his parents. They are extremely affected. (Although the "breeder" saw no symptoms). The father has over 90% of his spinal cord blocked by a syrinx at 4 years of age. Now the "breeder" who had the two parents was IMO no more then a puppy miller/backyard breeder who was breeding only for money.

As far is "inbreeding". Since I have all pedigrees I can tell you Mom & dad are VERY unrelated. (Well as unrelated as Cavaliers can be since most Cavaliers originated from a small breeding stock. ). Mom has a pedigree of more German dogs & Dad has a pedigree of Irish/English Dogs. I want back as far as I could on the pedigree (8-10 generations) and only found 2 or 3 similar dogs way back.

Statistics say 90% of Cavaliers have the malformation that can lead to SM. My neurologist said most Cavaliers he scans have SM. Even the ones he scans for other reasons.

I contacted the ORIGINAL breeders of the mom and dad. Both sell there puppies for $2000 - $3,000. Both live in different parts of Texas. Both claim to have never produced a dog suffering from SM OR MVD. I told both of them about there dogs. I sent there medical records from the Neurologist and Cardiologists. I also verified pedigrees to make sure they really were there dogs. BOTH breeders had "excuses" that the conditions must have been caused by something else. Now you ready for the REAL shocker? A few months later I sent an email "interested in a puppy" from another email with another name. Asked about heath conditions... BOTH breeders have claimed to have never had a dog affected.

Several months ago I was at PetSmart with one of my Cavaliers. I was stopped by an older couple who wanted to make over him. They went on to tell me a very heart breaking story of the Cavalier they once owned. "It had sever ear infections that the vet was never able to clear up". "It scratched sores all around it's ears." "It was such a terrible experience. The vets just didn't know what was wrong. Nothing cured it". The dog was put down and I could not possibly bare to tell them about SM. Before my puppy was diagnosed he was working on bald spots on his head/neck/ears from all the rubbing and scratching. I had gone to 3 different vet clinics trying to get him diagnosed. I was the one who learned of SM. I had to fight vets to get 2 of them MRI'ed. My vets misdiagnosed ear infections, allergies AND spinal issues. In the end MRI confirmed SM. Sadly many Cavaliers in the USA are misdiagnosed. Many vets have never heard about SM. It is the lucky few dogs that get sent to specialists who finally find the right diagnosis and get medical relief. Over the last year I have met so many people all around the USA who have Cavaliers suffering from SM. It is not just a UK problem. Personally I feel that is a breeders "excuses" to avoid proper testing.

As far as money goes. I spend about $40 a month PER cavalier on Insurance. Without it I could NOT afford even one. All 3 of mine have CM/SM. And the two adults have heart problems. One has moderate MVD and the other has a very strange heart condition that will soon need a pace maker. They just turned 5. We are out over $10,000 in vet bills in a little less then a year. (Thankfully insurance covers a large chunk of it). Now not all cavaliers cost this much and these came from a less then ideal situation but that does not change there inherited conditions. On top of cost there is all the vet visits & check ups. One has to have her heart checked every 3 months. This check costs around $300 every time. All vet fees have to come OUT OF POCKET and then in 7 - 10 buisness days our insurance pays there part.

I love Cavaliers and may one day consider another one from a heath focused breeder. I believe every dog created SHOULD have a home but when purchasing a Cavalier I believe one should know ALL the facts before buying. Every time someone buys from a breeder who does not health tests they are only supporting that breeder. As long as a breeder can sell there puppies they will keep creating them. When people buy a puppy from a breeder who does not health test it only shows that breeder there is no reason to health test. Now I know every situation is different and everyone has to make there own decision on what is best for them. If your set on getting a Cavalier and knowing the facts doesn't change your mind I do hope you consider insurance right away. It is not a reason to get a puppy from a less then ideal breeder but I really feel it is necessary with ANY Cavalier. Also remember with insurance ANYTHING your puppy has been to the vet for before insurance will be "pre-exisiting". They only pay a portion of the bill. Most insurance companies require you pay upfront. We have waited up to 60 days for the insurance to reimburse us while the norm is 10 days.

Sorry about the long post. I just feel very strongly about Cavaliers and there heath issues. I'm also so SICK of talking to breeders all over the USA who don't health test and who deny or make excuses for CM/SM.

She brought a lot of joy even with the SM and was worth every penny but it was an emotional roller coaster.

This is how I feel about my 3!

I also wanted to add Cavaliers are not as common in the USA as they are in the UK. So it would be expected for there to be more many more UK members then US members.

Also wanted to mention last week I had a lady over buying some baby chicks and we got in a long conversation about Cavaliers. Her best friend has 2. Both are young (2-3 years old) and both are suffering from heart conditions. I don't know all the details but thought it was worth mentioning. Also my new friend (only known about 4 months) has a family member with a Cavalier. It has many of the symptoms of SM (hind leg weakness, yelping and excessive scratching) and the vets not been able to help it. It has been treated for a possible back injury, pulled muscles, ear infections & allergies. It has spent several weeks on "crate rest" and has shown no improvement. His friend has researched SM, talked with there vet and they now have an appointment with a neurologist. It sounds very likely to be suffering from SM. From my knowledge neither of these people are on this forum. There are people all over the world who for whatever reasons don't posts on forums such as these. Just become people do not post on this forum does not mean the problem does not exist.

Last edited:
Back