• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Syringomyelia

Where are you from?

• Total voters
Almost all the breeder responses bar one (from Canada, which is very sensible) are either being deliberately evasive or these people are incredibly ignorant about the breed and these critical health issues.

One has only seen ONE case in 20 years? Then they simply have no idea what they are looking at or for.

Please do not support a breeder who is doing nothing to help this breed. If you are concerned about cost up front, then beware the costs that will come later with a breed prone to costly health issues. A single MRI, or a couple of visits to a cardiologist, will likely exceed the total cost of a puppy, and that's before tests or medications. There is a statistically very significant increase in the chance of an SM-free or at least late onset, symptom free dog if using a breeder who MRIs and follows the SM protocol for breeding -- on average at least 3 times better chance of a healthier puppy. The same goes for those properly heart testing and following the MVD protocol.

No one was arguing against mutts :) -- indeed they have a better health record as insurance stats show.

I'd agree that considering a rescue cavalier is a much better and positive option rather than supporting an ignorant breeder who doesn't bother to properly health test, thus condemning puppies to a far higher risk of illness. :( I'd give a needy rescue a loving home -- and insure it.

The reason I'm still considering it is: Really, according to everyone here even if I find a reputable breeder there still is a chance of the pup getting SM.

Still a chance is just that, a chance, and if you do get a pup from a scanning breeder that chance decreases significantly! If you are already saying that money might be a problem is your pup gets SM, then I would think you would do everything in your power to decrease that chance, and that is going with a scanning breeder. I know it is hard. I know how it feels after you have already met the pup, your heart is involved...so I don't discount that feeling for you or how hard this decision is. But please, follow your head and not your heart. It will hurt, but if you receive a pup from a scanning breeder you will be doing a greater good for everyone, including yourself. Like has been mentioned 50%+ (more in other regions, that was what I was quoted in Australia) cavaliers will get affected with SM, but keep in mind that is 50% of all Cav's, not 50% of MRI scanned and health screened cavaliers. There is a big difference. So yes, while we are all talking about these high statistics, that is for overall cavs and I cannot reiterate enough that the significance is greatly reducedif you pup comes from scanned parents.

Chance? Yes, there is one, but that chance is closer to a guarantee from a non-scanning breeder.

Syringomyelia is a very complex condition.
It really is very difficult to interpret what exactly "symptomatic" means.
For many symptomatic cavaliers,it's very obvious that they bunny hop and air scratch when walking and pause every few steps to scratch.
However,there are others who have never displayed these symptoms and yet are very badly affected.
Daisy was asymptomatic when I had her scanned in 2009.Yes,she scratched her ear and wasn't the best at jumping onto the sofa,but I just figured that she had no traction on the wooden floors and that she perhaps had an ear infection(which she in fact did).
I showed her pedigree to a few breeders who told me that I'd have no problem with her.There were no current top UK sires in there,just very old Irish and UK lines,many of the dogs being behind todays generation of cavaliers.
So I scanned her for research and to prove to myself that SM wasn't such a major problem as was being suggested.She was 2.8 years at the time of scanning and technically, had she been sold elsewhere she would have been sold as a breeding bitch and would have had maybe two litters by then.She has two syrinxs between C2 and C4.
She didn't become symptomatic really until close to 3.5 years,by which time she was intermittently lame and becoming very quiet and withdrawn.She has had two episodes where from nowhere,she threw herself down on the floor and rolled around screaming.It's not something I'll ever forget.
Thankfully medication has eliminated those episodes and she's no longer lame.But she shuffles around like a geriatric cavalier instead of a normal almost 5 year old.
So what I'm saying is that just by looking at a young cavalier and trying to guess if she or he is affected is pointless.What may look fine at age 2 from the outside,may be a ticking time bomb waiting to happen,which is why many Uk breeders now screen their cavaliers.
Mri scanning is not perfect,but it's a useful tool for responsible breeders who know how to use it to the best effect.
I bet too that these breeders who claim that it's "inbreeding in England" that's caused the trouble "over there" are also quite happy to point out to pet buyers,the number of "English champions" in their dog's pedigree.:mad:
Sins

There won't be a single person on this forum that will tell you it's a good idea to buy this puppy.

Like Brooklyns mum- she saw a puppy fell in love and backed away- because the parents weren't fully health tested and she is applauded for doing so. And although yes, it's not guarenteed that Brooklyn will be spared this disease, she has a much better chance.

And we have to look at the bigger picture here, for a breed that is in such a detrimental state of affairs at the momment I think we all owe some sort of sacrifice to secure their future,

These dogs didn't ask for this, they are such placid and beautiful little creatures that would do anything to make people happy, so don't we owe them the same in return??

So if, by making this choice now to walk away and look for a health focused breeder; helps this breed secure a much better journey to a healthy and sustainable future ...then we should all be doing it.

Having lived and witnessed the extreme pain that this disease inflicts on these dogs, I would urge you to look elsewhere.

I have to pick Ruby up a certain way or she screams in pain, she can't play simple tug of war with a toy (its too painful), something that all dogs should enjoy, she can't get up on the sofa/bed with out the steps on her bad days, sometimes she can't even get up in the morning, she suffers through out the summer months when the weather gets too warm (im talking 20 degrees +, not particularly hot), she will not go up to strange dogs in the park and curls up in a ball if anything approaches her for fear that they will hurt her, my family wonder where they can stroke her for fear of causing her pain.

This is not what a dog should live like but she does it with such grace and dignity,

And then there is Charlie- I rescued him as I didn't want to put my money in to any breeders pockets at that point (having Ruby diagnosed for only a few months when I bought him home) and also with the consideration that a puppy jumping round her was the last thing she needed!

He has pain associated with CM, requires medication too, claws at his head, doesn't like anyone approaching his head or face, tears fall constantly where there is so much pressure built up behind his eyes and they are red also.

This isn't something that anyone should have to live with and if you have the chance of not living with it then I should take that chance.

Its expensive, heart breaking and soul destroying for us watching it so I can only imagine how my dogs could feel!!

I agree with what people are saying on this thread. SM is a devestating disease, I bought my first two cavs from a backyard breeder and Bonnie was diagnosed at 8 months, it breaks your heart to see these beautiful little dogs having to live with this terrible disease, even though the meds controlled the symptoms to a certain degree she was never completely pain free, there were good days and bad days and she was unable to enjoy life to the extent of how a dog should, whilst her sister who is SM symptom free would run and play she would just watch and have her cuddles. I didn't have pet insurance on her so the costs were rather large, meds alone were about $100 a month. I recently had her put to sleep for a completely unrelated reason but I was always waiting for the day that the meds wouldn't control her pain.

I have since bought another pup, but this time being very aware of the health problems of this little breed. I made sure the breeder was regisitered, did current health testing and was able to provide the certificates and also researched the pedigrees and longevity of grandparents, he comes from a very sporty line involved in agility, flyball etc.

But the first thing I did was take out pet insurance on him as well as making sure my other cav was insured, so hopefully if anything comes up at least I will not have to worry about the costs of treatment. One MRI scan (if required) would more than cover the cost of yearly insurance.

It is easy to fall in love with a Cav pup, but please do your research.

Riley has never displayed any of the typical SM symptoms, but I think she is just really good at hiding her pain levels. Even after her decompression surgery, when my other dogs are running around the house, she will hide under a table or a chair so that they will not accidently bump into her. Outside, if she sees Oz (my youngest who is still full of beans) racing toward her, she will drop down immediately to minimize the chance that he will knock her over or hurt her. She can not withstand a body block, her balance is too bad and she has weakness in her rear legs. There are days that the single step coming into the house is almost too much for her.

But she is the light of my life. Like Karen said, she didn't ask for this and like Ruby, she withstands her SM with grace and dignity. I can't imagine my life without her, but I often imagine what her life would have been like without this horrible disease. She is a happy dog and lives to please and love me, but I would love her to be able to enjoy life more.

Riley has never displayed any of the typical SM symptoms, but I think she is just really good at hiding her pain levels. Even after her decompression surgery, when my other dogs are running around the house, she will hide under a table or a chair so that they will not accidently bump into her. Outside, if she sees Oz (my youngest who is still full of beans) racing toward her, she will drop down immediately to minimize the chance that he will knock her over or hurt her. She can not withstand a body block, her balance is too bad and she has weakness in her rear legs. There are days that the single step coming into the house is almost too much for her.

But she is the light of my life. Like Karen said, she didn't ask for this and like Ruby, she withstands her SM with grace and dignity. I can't imagine my life without her, but I often imagine what her life would have been like without this horrible disease. She is a happy dog and lives to please and love me, but I would love her to be able to enjoy life more.

Aww Bev :hug: when you talk about Riley it brings back memories. That look of pain in the eyes if someone was going to touch. I always describe when I would put my hand over Ella's head like I was going to pat it, she would flench like she was about to get a shot. I remember those looks.

Ladyglove,

This is a wonderful breed and even going through what I did with Ella, she brought a lot of joy to me and I wouldn't change that. What I would change, is getting a puppy from a breeder that scans to minimize that happening to another. I would accept any puppy no matter what happens but I think it's important to really do research because even if not SM, there will be a higher chance of something whether temperment, health, etc. and this puppy will be with you for a long time.

Please just do me a favor and ask these questions to yourself http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/ckcsc_inc.nsf/Founded-1954/questionyourself.html

and this http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/ckcsc_inc.nsf/Founded-1954/investment.html

"The high number of serious inherited defects seen in ALL dogs today makes this a pre-requisite before you purchase your puppy. You are paying a hefty sum of money for your puppy – at least get your money’s worth and buy the best puppy you can find from the most reputable breeder. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BARGAIN HUNT!c "

And to LJW and those with puppies or cavaliers already I am going to quote Rod! We can do what we can before hand to make sure to reduce the chances of a health problem but once you have them don't worry about what may or may not come and enjoy the days with them
icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by LJW
Very interesting reading and some differing opinions. For me I guess I need to enjoy my pup, stop worrying about potential illnesses whilst being aware that there is a very high chance he may develop symptoms in the future. Thanks all.

Yeah, that's about it. Live for today with them; enjoy them; let them enjoy you; don't emote a downer attitude.

Rod Russell

Almost all the breeder responses bar one (from Canada, which is very sensible) are either being deliberately evasive or these people are incredibly ignorant about the breed and these critical health issues.

One has only seen ONE case in 20 years? Then they simply have no idea what they are looking at or for.

Please do not support a breeder who is doing nothing to help this breed. If you are concerned about cost up front, then beware the costs that will come later with a breed prone to costly health issues. A single MRI, or a couple of visits to a cardiologist, will likely exceed the total cost of a puppy, and that's before tests or medications. There is a statistically very significant increase in the chance of an SM-free or at least late onset, symptom free dog if using a breeder who MRIs and follows the SM protocol for breeding -- on average at least 3 times better chance of a healthier puppy. The same goes for those properly heart testing and following the MVD protocol.

No one was arguing against mutts :) -- indeed they have a better health record as insurance stats show.

I'd agree that considering a rescue cavalier is a much better and positive option rather than supporting an ignorant breeder who doesn't bother to properly health test, thus condemning puppies to a far higher risk of illness. :( I'd give a needy rescue a loving home -- and insure it.

Even though your orignial inquiry was about SM, Karlin and others have also made reference to the high incidence of MVD in this breed. My dog has severe MVD. Since you have made mention that the cost of caring for an ill dog is also a consideration for you, here's what you should also know.

The cost of a cardiologist's visit ranges about $300. She sees him every 6 weeks, or sooner if health concerns warrent it. If any testing is done, echocardiogram, xrays, blood work, ascites, etc. that cost could range $1500+ per visit. The cost of Sydney's medicine (he takes 8 prescriptions) runs about $500 per month. This is all out of pocket for me as I do not have pet insurance.

The emotional toll is, in my opinion, a lot harder. Watching your dog gasping for breath, having him faint and rushing to the emergency room where he needs to be put on oxygen, watching as his abdomen swells with fluids and the doctors have to insert a needle into him to remove 48 ounces of fluid. Some days it is an effort for him to just walk around the yard. Other days he's active and so playful that I cry with joy. Just like with the dogs with SM or CM, there are good days and bad days. Just different symptoms, different medications, but always the same heartache.

You have taken the best first step in getting a cavalier......asking questions. When you look into the eyes of a cavalier, in a pet store, or at a BYB, it's so hard not to scoop them up and bring them home. But what is right for this breed? Take the second best step......go to a breeder that does ALL the health tests. Like you said, it doesn't guarantee a long and healthy life, but it certainly reduces the odds of your dog being ill. Check into pet insurance before you pet is ill.

Getting a cavalier is the best thing I did. Even with all the health issues, I have received so much love and joy from Sydney that I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world. I think you will find that most here will say the same.

Joyce, thanks for that; it's a great post and gives the reasons why so many of us, even those of us who have nursed a loved cavalier through one or more of these diseases, do not regret having chosen this breed. :) And would do so again, knowing we have more experience to recognise and manage these conditions.

And why so many of us feel so strongly about fighting for the future of this breed, supporting truly health-focused breeders, and helping fund critical research that gives the only chance of a future for the breed. (y)

It is really what I hope people will understand when they consider this breed and come here and read about health issues and why we all feel understanding them, and being aware, is so important: there are so many positives about the breed but any prospective owner also simply must consider IF they are ready to also manage the relatively high risk, compared to many other breeds or crosses, of emotional and financial costs down the line to deal with the diseases endemic in cavaliers. And to take the responsible role of understanding the conditions and their symptoms so that they know what to look for IF their cavalier starts to suffer from one of them.

Nearly every one of us will eventually deal with MVD and the costs of at least some medications. Half of us will start to deal with this before or by the time our cavalier is age 5. Most of us will also eventually face SM in every cavalier we own. With luck the dog will never be symptomatic but prospective buyers need t consider IF they can deal with the uncertainty for maybe 12 years (with luck) of a cavalier's life that at any time, this painful disease could surface. Fortunately MOST will not deal with serious, symptomatic SM. But all evidence is that many go undiagnosed despite symptoms. (Again, that is why we want to raise awareness here so that more cavaliers are correctly diagnosed and treated if they have this condition, which most vets are unfamiliar with!).

I truly found the final months of MVD in Lucy -- the on and off listlessness, the increasing number of collapsing episodes and small seizures, the coughing, the liquid on the lungs, the worry about leaving her for any length of time -- to be much harder, and more emotionally draining, than managing Leo's SM over the past 7 years ( am fortunate that he mostly has had scratching and moderate discomfort to manage and not yelping pain episodes, however The only bad episode he had now seems to have been related to a fall where he hurt his back and probably set off greater pain around his syrinx for a couple of days).

My costs for medications for Leo alone right now surpasses the amount I paid for Leo about every 5 months. So really: the lifetime cost issue of owning a dog, especially a breed with potential health issues, must be considered -- and is why it makes so much sense to support a good breeder from the start and increase the chance of a healthy dog.

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. I've read all your posts. I actually discussed all this with my mom and she says that you can never know who's a responsible breeder. She worked for a women in Florida who bred Pom's (forum rules say no breeder names so I won't include it) who looked perfect to the outside dog breeding world.

She had a high rate of show winners (some even going to Westminster) she took care of her dogs, they had their shots, if they needed surgery they got it. They had a clean, warm, dry places to sleep, and they were exercised, socialized and fairly well adjusted. They were healthy, happy pups and adults. Potential owners could drop by on a whim and she'd be happy to show them the pups. She had health guarantees, you could call her whenever. She had a clause that if you ever needed to give the dog up you were to contact her first. Now this was before genetic screening, but my mom assured me that she would have done so.

However, say her prized bitch game birth to a litter of 2 pups, to the AKC she would say the bitch had 4 or five pups. Or she might say she bred a lower quality bitch to her prized stud, but it wouldn't be, it would be her other stud. Likewise if she chose a stud from another breeder she'd say that the bitch had a larger litter, or if she had lost the pups she would take another bitch's pups and give them, so she would say those were the pups bred. And the times when the fee for the stud was the pick of the litter she would hide the prized put (the one she thought would show well) and put it out of sight. She charged (pet puppy price) $1500 for a male. And like I said on paper she looked great.

Now my mom regrets she didn't do anything, but she was very young at the time and really didn't know any better, but even then she was alone for the first time. But now she regrets it.

EDIT: Nothing relate to me or my situation but has anyone here heard anything more about normast? It sound like it could do a lot of good for a lot of dogs. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it or heard about it.

Yes, but you are talking about someone who bred for show, to breed a champion and make lots of money. And a Pom at that

When you are discussing a breed like the Cavalier we are talking about breeders that are breeding for health. It is expensive to fully health test with all the problems this breed has so money isnt a factor! They most probably won't make any!

All you need to know is that they have fully health tested their breeding dogs, and preferably a generation or two back.

Wtih out meaning to sound rude, it seems like you are trying to talk yourself in to beleiving this is a good idea, and when I have to talk myself in to beleiving im doing the right thing- its because it is 100% the wrong thing to do!

I think what Karen said is how a lot of us feel, so with all due respect, I can't comment on this tread anymore. We have all put forward our very valid and factual opinions. I just hope those facts weigh over your heart harder than a cute face at this point. But as we are humans, we have free will, and emotions (which I know is what makes this hard for you) and individuality. You will make your own decision, but I just hope one day you look back and know it was the right one. Will you love any pup no matter what? Of course you will, I dont doubt that, but I want you to look back with not only love of your pup, but love and pride in this breed.

I do have to say in your defense though that we are no trying to attack you by any means and I hope not one post comes off that way. We are all just very passionate because most of us have been through a lot health wise with this breed as well as a lot of time and money trying to promote and save the health of this breed. So it can get emotional. Also, it is hard to really take this all in and really understand the whole situation and issues until you are on the other side of the fence so I know it must be a little overwhelming and confusing for you too. I can understand that, and I hope the information we put forward helps you in any way possible.

Good luck with everything.

Yes, but you are talking about someone who bred for show, to breed a champion and make lots of money. And a Pom at that When you are discussing a breed like the Cavalier we are talking about breeders that are breeding for health. It is expensive to fully health test with all the problems this breed has so money isnt a factor! They most probably won't make any! All you need to know is that they have fully health tested their breeding dogs, and preferably a generation or two back. Wtih out meaning to sound rude, it seems like you are trying to talk yourself in to beleiving this is a good idea, and when I have to talk myself in to beleiving im doing the right thing- its because it is 100% the wrong thing to do!

No, I'm not trying to talk myself into anything. I know both points and I've made my decision. I'm staying away from Cavalier's. From the sound of it they're a dying breed. If over 90% of them have SM there is not enough healthy breeding stock even if every breeder around the world got together. and from the sound of it even if you get a good breeder there's less than a 10% chance of having a healthy pup (completely discounting the heart problems) I'm not a glutton for punishment and I don't want to watch my dog scream in pain.

And I don't think you get my point about the breeder, she looked like a perfect breeder from the outside. Everyone said it, from the outside she bred for health as well as looks, but really she didn't. That's the point. Anyway I do thank everyone for their help.

...However, say her prized bitch game birth to a litter of 2 pups, to the AKC she would say the bitch had 4 or five pups. Or she might say she bred a lower quality bitch to her prized stud, but it wouldn't be, it would be her other stud. Likewise if she chose a stud from another breeder she'd say that the bitch had a larger litter, or if she had lost the pups she would take another bitch's pups and give them, so she would say those were the pups bred. And the times when the fee for the stud was the pick of the litter she would hide the prized put (the one she thought would show well) and put it out of sight. She charged (pet puppy price) $1500 for a male. And like I said on paper she looked great. ...

I've heard a lot of stories about deceitful breeders, but some of this makes no sense at all to me. For instance, AKC does not care how many puppies are in a litter, except that the more puppies in a litter, the higher the registration fee. I have heard of CKCSC,USA cavalier breeders who understate the number of puppies in a litter, to avoid having to pay higher registration fees, but then those breeders will tell AKC the actual number of puppies in that same litter.

With the advent of DNA testing, AKC will not condone breeders misrepresenting the name of the sire of litters. AKC perodically compares DNA of sires and littermates, and if AKC catches a breeder knowingly falsifying the litter registrations by misrepresenting the name of the actual sire, those breeders will be punished.

The solution to this dilemma? One option is what I always recommend to puppy buyers: Insist upon seeing the paperwork -- the registration papers, the heart examination reports, the MRI scan reports, the eye CERF reports, and so on. See, e.g., http://cavalierhealth.org/questions_for_breeder.htm

Often, the corrupt breeders will start their hedging dance.

"Oh, those papers got lost in our last move."

"Oh, they were stored in our basement, and the last hurricane flooded it and the box of papers had to be thrown out."

"WELL! I've never in my whole life been questioned about such things!"

"I'll send you those records with the puppy after you buy it."

Get the picture? When you start hearing these types of excuses, back away smartly and run in the opposite direction.

I've heard a lot of stories about deceitful breeders, but some of this makes no sense at all to me. For instance, AKC does not care how many puppies are in a litter, except that the more puppies in a litter, the higher the registration fee. I have heard of CKCSC,USA cavalier breeders who understate the number of puppies in a litter, to avoid having to pay higher registration fees, but then those breeders will tell AKC the actual number of puppies in that same litter. With the advent of DNA testing, AKC will not condone breeders misrepresenting the name of the sire of litters. AKC perodically compares DNA of sires and littermates, and if AKC catches a breeder knowingly falsifying the litter registrations by misrepresenting the name of the actual sire, those breeders will be punished. The solution to this dilemma? One option is what I always recommend to puppy buyers: Insist upon seeing the paperwork -- the registration papers, the heart examination reports, the MRI scan reports, the eye CERF reports, and so on. See, e.g., http://cavalierhealth.org/questions_for_breeder.htm
The reason she would do it was she would have a few Pom's that weren't AKC registered and she would breed the unregistered bitch and say the pups from the unregistered Pom was in fact the registered bitch. EDIT: I forgot to add that she did this becasue she could demand a higher price for a pup if one of the parents was said to be one of her many champions. Like I said she would charge for a pet pup upwards of $1500 but for the pup of her one specific champion stud she could charge triple that, easy.

Last edited:
"I'll send you those records with the puppy after you buy it."

Get the picture? When you start hearing these types of excuses, back away smartly and run in the opposite direction.

That is exactly what the breeder said to my ignorant self when I got Oliver, my first cavalier. I now know she was a backyard breeder and I should have run in the opposite direction instead of blithely handing over my hard earned cash. I never heard from her again and never received any papers for him. Luckily, he has made it to age 10 and 1/2 with no SM and no murmur (cardiologist certified this year) but he did have cervical disc decompression surgery at age 9. However, he's healthy now and stills runs in the backyard and is the only one of my dogs to actually play with Oz, my 4 year old (although on a very limited basis). He is on no meds and is a delight to me every day. So although I kick myself for supporting a BYB, I got my first cavalier love, my big boy (he is trim at 25 pounds) who triggered my lifelong love of cavaliers.

The reason she would do it was she would have a few Pom's that weren't AKC registered and she would breed the unregistered bitch and say the pups from the unregistered Pom was in fact the registered bitch. EDIT: I forgot to add that she did this becasue she could demand a higher price for a pup if one of the parents was said to be one of her many champions. Like I said she would charge for a pet pup upwards of $1500 but for the pup of her one specific champion stud she could charge triple that, easy.

That makes a little more sense. But, these days, with DNA testing, a lot of this "who's your daddy?" game has come to an end. AKC spends a lot of time and money trying to defeat deceitful breeders.

That makes a little more sense. But, these days, with DNA testing, a lot of this "who's your daddy?" game has come to an end. AKC spends a lot of time and money trying to defeat deceitful breeders.
I'm sure they try, however there are hundreds, if not thousands of breeders registered with the AKC out there; there's little to no chance that very many are caught. Only if the buyer made a fuss would the investigate. And like I said (before DNA testing was available to a breeder) she was a very well respected breeder. 17 years ago when we were shopping for a pup we were at the local CKC show and we talked to a Pom breeder and he was very proud to have dogs from the breeders line.

Lots of us are aware that cavaliers are approaching the edge of where they will be a dying breed if nothing or little is done or if breeders continue to make excuses about testing and following protocols. I do know from talking to others breeders in other breeds that there is real exasperation with the general approach of most cavalier breeders and most international cavalier clubs in honestly and openly tackling health issues that threaten the survival of the breed.

That's one reason why it is absolutely critical to support health testing breeders and to ask for documentation. This would be true for all breeds though! As would a propensity for many to say one thing but do another -- which is why a buyer cannot simply chat to someone or go on their verbal claims or what they say on a website. It takes time and research to find a good breeder.

It is true that over 90% of cavaliers will end up with MVD -- way too high a percentage and in too many cases, onset is early, with dogs from 3-8 showing first signs of a murmur :(. I was shocked to see a breeder elsewhere defending 7-8 as a perfectly fine age for cavaliers to get murmurs as they don't always progress to heart failure til older!! That's the equivalent of saying it is OK -- even 'normal' -- for 50% of humans to have a murmur at age 30-50 because after all, lots won't go into heart failure for years and there are lots of good drugs we can take to postpone those final stages. Other breeds get murmurs as very elderly dogs and typically die of something else, not the distressing prolonged death of CHF. There's something seriously wrong with breeder/club mindset that thinks it is OK for dogs to have these early onset problems that cause the average lifespan to be about a fourth less than it should be for a small breed.

All that said -- nothing like 90% of dogs, even with MVD, are struggling with serious symptoms and many will go years with no murmur or a minor murmur. Most with SM will not have serious symptoms. Again -- that's why it is so critical to support the honest breeders who are working hard, and at expense, to lower incidence and push off age of onset to gradually breed away from these problems. Lots of us have a strong commitment to the breed and want to see these figures change.

No cavalier buyer should be unaware of these health issues and the probabilities tough and a commitment to caring for a dog with at least one of these issues *eventually* needs to be art of the decision making process.

Research will reveal plenty of genetic issues and endemic inbreeding in most breeds though and all buyers need to carefully research breeds and breeders. (y)

I'm sure they try, however there are hundreds, if not thousands of breeders registered with the AKC out there; there's little to no chance that very many are caught. ...

You would be surprised at how effective AKC's DNA testing has been.

Back