• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your Cavalier sign [sp. should be SIGH!] a lot?

Mandy and Molly

Does your Cavalier sigh a lot?

I know this is a weird question!

Molly sighs a lot..sighing the way humans do. I have no idea why!

Just now she was laying next to me looking at me eat (as always..) and when i said "No Molly, my food!" she looked away and sighed!

She does it quite a lot, for various reasons..usually when she's not getting what she wants. Im not sure if she has picked it up from any of us or its just something dogs do too...

Any insight would be appreciated! :)

by the way-she does think she's human! lol

(Sorry cant edit my typo in the title! lol oops!)

Last edited:
All of mine do...We call it bored puppy syndrome:p.
Although I usually interpret it as a sign of contentment.They sigh mainly when they're dozing on the sofa in a pile.It's so funny when Holly does it,she takes a deep breath and then sighs and you can see the fur rippling on the other's backs.
Sins

Ha, this is one of my husband and i's favorite things that Brooky does. Is almost like she is saying "sigh, life is so tough" ;)
She does it all the time too. I think it is so cute. Sometime I notice that it's her way to calm down too.

Sonny sighs a lot too. I think it's hilarious. I think he usually does it when he is settling in for a nap or just got down with a lot activity and is settling down on the couch. So so funny

As the header for this thread was 'Does your Cavalier sign a lot?' (not sigh), it got me thinking: sign language for deaf owners (who refuse to share their food)? Signing cheques for those little comforts (and treats) that mean so much to Cavaliers? Signing their show entry forms to make sure they're in the easiest obedience classes? I know our Cavaliers are clever, but....

And yes, my two do sigh - when I say No, and when I go out without them. It means 'It's a hard life being a dog.'

Kate, Oliver and Aled

"The sigh" was one of the first things I noticed about Bentley. The very first night we had him I let him out in the snow to potty then, when he didn't want to settle down, I rocked him! He gave me that wonderful sigh and got quiet which certainly endeared him to me forever. He now gets rocked by one or the other of us almost every morning and every night. He now weighs 22.7 lbs and is 10 months old and still sighs!

Murphy does sigh a lot, but Misty doesn't.

I think Murphy just has a really tough life, as it's normally after being told "no" that he sigh's, or if he's not getting as much attention as he thinks he should be getting. He normally walks away and lies down on his cushion, looks at me and just sighs, really loud :lol:

Chloe sighs a lot when she was smaller up to 7 months old, and now very rarely. She used to sigh regularly when she sits on our laps travelling in the car. My wife says she probably learnt from me as I sigh too from time to time. Funny these cavaliers. And of course they all think they are humans. What on earth are we thinking :razz:

Funny you mention that Kate, because at first I thought it was about sign language for dogs too! Ha. Which got me thinking about when I was in college I studied sign language for 4 years, and my teacher was deaf. He had 3 dogs and they were the best trained dogs out there. All trained in silence, with signs and body language only. He taught us a lot about training dogs as a deaf person and I always carried those values with me, knowing how much more a dog can learn when you take the emotion out of it and use a clear sign every time. I sign with Brooklyn a lot, and she will always respond to a sign if she is having a moment where she isn't listening to my words. Signs can be anything you invent them to be too...they don't have to be official like they are in the deaf community (though all the deaf people I know, all their dogs can sit with the same "sit" sign...it is amazing).

Sorry about the typos guys! I wasn't able to change it, but it seems it's been changed for me :)

Molly sighs mainly when she doesn't get enough attention..sometimes when she's happy also but mainly sighs heavily while looking at me. lol

Cavalier behaviour works in mysterious ways :) My Molly sighs, too! She can do something with her eyebrows that makes he look extremely bored/worried/wondering, and then she heaves a deep sigh :D Éowyn doesn't sigh very much, but again, she's not so bright :roll::grin:

:roll:Do Cavaliers Sigh?:confused: There is so much huffing and puffing I am suprised our house hasn't fallen down :lpy::fool:

I sign with Brooklyn a lot, and she will always respond to a sign if she is having a moment where she isn't listening to my words.

Sophe, being the hard-headed diva-dog-princess that she is, is very attuned to signs from me. When we play, I talk minimally to her because dogs don't talk, but I often use body language and hand signals. When I give her an obedience type command (come, sit, etc.) half the time she does nothing (the hussy!), until I give her "the look." You all know that look, the one that says 'I mean it!', like the one we'd give our siblings when we were children. :wink: I think our dog trainer will laugh himself to death when I bring "the look" up as our next challenge to overcome. After all, she should obey the word command, and not the additional "look", right? LOL

I can't remember Sophie sighing very often. Sometimes we get more of a "harumph!" from her.

Oh my gosh, yes! We love it when she sighs, it's so funny! She usually does it when she's tired and she wants some of our dinner and she's sick of waiting for a bit.

She also groans when she's trying to sleep and she's uncomfortable or everyone is being to loud (us humans are just so inconsiderate sometimes!).

Sometimes she does it during our conversations and we'll be like, "Well, Lady seems to disagree." Or she'll do it after a particularly bad So You Think You Can Dance audition and we'll say, "Yes, you're right, Lady - that was terrible."

oh yes indeed! our dogs make all sorts of snorts, grunts, groans and sighs- they are a regular little sound effect factory. Both of them usually sigh while sleeping, but our Bobby sighs when he is not getting attention or is bored. The poor babies.

Back