Thread: Back from Stone Lion....

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Back from Stone Lion....

Wow, what a long, long day. Left home at 7am, faced with a closure on the M25 at Jnt 5 I wasn't looking forward to the journey and got there in around 2.5 hours. Not late though so that was a miracle!

So on to the little guy, he is beyond asleep- comatosed is the word I would use!

First consultation and Clare did her normal tests, he is very sensitive around his neck (literally just below his skull) didn't like the pressure at all and also at the base of his spine but no sensitivity in between.

Clare was running a low cost scanning day and to be honest I tried not to talk to anyone there, don't know why- I just didn't want to. So she had a busy day and didn't pick him up untill 4.30pm, she hasn't had a chance to have an indepth look at his scan pictures as yet but from first glance not much has changed.

He has a degree of deterioration of the spinal chord around C2 and his ventricles are still the same as before but no obvious syrinx. A cross section at C2 shows something so I will wait and here her report.

We have decided to start him on a non-steroidal for 4 weeks and assess his symptoms alongside it.

All in all it isn't terrible and certainly not as bad as I thought at this point but will wait and see Clares report before relaxing!

Thanks for all your wishes and for making me feel not so alone today!! Its a great comfort knowing you are all here for us at these nerve wrecking times!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    Wow, what a long, long day. Left home at 7am, faced with a closure on the M25 at Jnt 5 I wasn't looking forward to the journey and got there in around 2.5 hours. Not late though so that was a miracle!

So on to the little guy, he is beyond asleep- comatosed is the word I would use!

First consultation and Clare did her normal tests, he is very sensitive around his neck (literally just below his skull) didn't like the pressure at all and also at the base of his spine but no sensitivity in between.

Clare was running a low cost scanning day and to be honest I tried not to talk to anyone there, don't know why- I just didn't want to. So she had a busy day and didn't pick him up untill 4.30pm, she hasn't had a chance to have an indepth look at his scan pictures as yet but from first glance not much has changed.

He has a degree of deterioration of the spinal chord around C2 and his ventricles are still the same as before but no obvious syrinx. A cross section at C2 shows something so I will wait and here her report.

We have decided to start him on a non-steroidal for 4 weeks and assess his symptoms alongside it.

All in all it isn't terrible and certainly not as bad as I thought at this point but will wait and see Clares report before relaxing!

Thanks for all your wishes and for making me feel not so alone today!! Its a great comfort knowing you are all here for us at these nerve wrecking times!

His feet are really cold! Is that normal???

Shall I wrap him up to warm him up??

Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds pretty good news about the scan, relieved for you HOpefully you will have Clare's report soon and that will give you more comprehensive information.

The anaesthetic itself can cause issues for animals regulating their temperature. [they wouldn't let me have Teddy back after an anaesthetic one time for quite a while, as they couldn't get him warm ]

Keep him warm and quiet. Move his bed close to a heater. Keep movement and exercise to a minimum - not that he will want to play or go for a run. Make sure water is within reach, so he doesn't have to get up. Make sure he does eat a wee bit, something bland, I always find they feel better after a small meal, so even if you have to hand feed him, or give him special treats, do so.

If you are really worried then 'phone your vet.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He had some chicken and mashed sweet potato when we got home- Ive given him his hot water bottle and he is sleeping soundly on my pillow under my fluffy dressing gown!

Ruby is just as shattered- she normally sleeps close to 20 hours a day so being out and about for 12 hours today has taken it out of her!! Although we did spend much of the day sitting outside Costa and she spent most of that curled up on my lap

Karen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karen,

Glad to hear that you are back home after your exhausting day, have been thinking about you today.

Sounds like things went well, I'm sure Clare will get the results to you as soon as she can. She must have had a really busy day if it was a low cost scanning day.

Keep Charlie warm and quiet for the rest of today and I'm sure tomorrow he will be back to normal - give him a big hug from us all.

I'm due to take Minnie for her follow-up MRI scan, but at the moment keep putting it off as she is doing so well.

Hope you all get a good nights sleep - poor Ruby sounds as if she will need to catch up on her zzzzzzzz's as well.

Take care.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Poor baby Charlie. He's had a rough day. Anesthesia certainly takes a lot out of them. I couldn't pick Riley up right away after her scan either (like Teddy). She had to stay for hours until she was stable enough to go home.

I hope the non-steroidal gives Charlie some relief. What is it?

Hugs and kisses to both Ruby and Charlie. Hope you all get a good night's sleep.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nicely said Flo and I'm sorry I answered a question. I just want to say no matter what one believes or thinks, I think we all agree that this is not a condition we want others to go through.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    I know *Some* people that believe Cavaliers should not be bred any more, they quite truthfully say that it is the dogs that suffer the actual pain.

I greatly respect these people and I cannot argue with what they say. We may succeed in breeding away from CMSM, but a lot more cavaliers will be born to suffer while we try. We may not succeed and the suffering may increase. I really struggle with the ethics of this.

I have not been able to bring myself to give up on the breed , in fact I have a bitch in whelp at the moment, but even now I am not sure that this is the right thing to be doing.

Let me be quite clear about this, we may 'love the breed' but the truth is we keep producing these little dogs for our own gratification, because they fulfill a need in us, we do not breed them for their own sake.
    I was not pointing out anyone in particular. I think no matter what the future holds with the cavalier, cm/sm will continue on. That is why we still need breeders or even pet owners whoever to work with researchers to hopefully develop a DNA test or understand more and not just for the sake of this breed.

If people in the future who want to go to an outcross path, I still think that a DNA test will be valuable. I honestly just want to have people supporting the researchers and many of this research does come from in the past mris and dna from cavaliers. Now they want other breeds but we have to continue to help which I know you do personally with the cavalier collection scheme.

That's all I'm saying

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let me add and we all do and have done by supporting ruperts fund.

Post Thanks / Like

It is heart breaking continually encountering people who have terrible tales of what has or is happening to their precious companion/soul mate. The Cavaliers are such a special beautiful sweet dog, every time you hear of another little soul suffering this excruciating unimaginable pain and the unsuspecting owner at a loss of what to do seeing their cherished companion suffer, makes my heart sink. Some owners do not recognise the symptoms their dog is suffering or cannot afford medication, so these poor dogs are living in hell!
    I feel passionately that we all have to work together and support the researchers and hope the breeders will try and do what is right. If they donít, the breed is doomed if it isnít already!

Cavalier Matters has taken stands at various events fundraising and providing support to pet owners. Most of the visitors to the stands have or had serious health issues with their Cavaliers. It is quite rare to hear of a Cavalier reaching old age without a serious health problem.
    If people believe this breed problem is not that bad, they need to get out into the real world and see what is going on.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim