• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Keeping puppy still for medicated shampoo bath?!

LJW

So tomorrow I need to bath Bobby (12 weeks old) in his dandruff shampoo, soak him then keep him still for 10 minutes with the shampoo on before rinsing and ensure he doesn't lick it! Any tips? Thought I'd try and do it when he's sleepy!

Oh I remember when I had to do this with Brooky! It is so hard :) What shampoo are you using? Make sure you have a nice skin conditioner to use afterward if you are using something like Malaseb as while it is good for their skin, it can also take some moisture out (depending on what shampoo it is and the exact purpose you are using for). A good conditioner is for the skin, not for the hair of a dog. I really like PAW (Pure Animal Wellbeing) Sensitive Skin Conditioner (http://www.paw4pets.com/products/sensitive-skin-conditioner) you have to leave it on for 5 minutes (oye, more waiting!) but it really helped her with her dandruff and great with medicated shampoo. Most doggie conditioners treat the fur to make it shine and smell nice, but always good to get one the treats the skin instead...especially if Bobby has dandruff. With Paw, you don't even have to worry about washing it all out. It is like lotion for the skin (and makes her fur nice as a bonus).

OKAY, now to your real question. Ha! What I did was put the shampoo on, then put her leash on so she couldnt run away and I used her dinner (or breakfast) to either to training, tricks, etc. or just hand feed it to her really slowly (kibble by kibble) so she stayed really focused and had something to do. I have done it outside and inside (could only do it outside in the summer as she got cold staying wet). But doing training, games ("sit", "stay", "come", "look", etc) or just really slowly hand feeding really makes the time go by every time! It is the only thing that really works. And don't worry if Bobby might cry a little the first time or two you keep this shampoo on him for that long, he is just getting bored (why food is a good distractor). Brooky is totally used to it now (because I still use the PAW conditioner and shampoos which stay on a little while anyway), so she just chills and eats her dinner :) And hand feed vs. just putting the bowl down because it will take longer and you can draw it out.

Oh Good luck with that!!!
It's impossible to keep a puppy still,but after you've shampooed him,maybe you can wrap the little guy in a towel and keep him warm in your arms for ten mins,then rinse off.If you can lather him quickly,get him in and out of the bath, he won't get chilled.
Sins

Ha thanks, good tips I'll definitely try the food trick! The shampoo is one from the vet.

Sins, I like the towel idea too thanks :) maybe it's too optimistic to say I'll take some pics?!

I know This is late, but I occassionally groom dogs for a salon, and what we do it put a towel in the microwave and wrap the dog in it.
I have come to call them 'medicated sauna wraps.' They are great for opening up the follicle etc. they come out lovely and soft generally. and the dogs seem to love it!
Plus it keeps them still and warm.

I just put a dry towel in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Dont make it hot, just warm. So if you need to put it in a bit longer do so, and then just drape it around the dog. Dont cover it completely or you risk your little one overheating, but leave the warm towel on for about 5- 10 minutes. If your dog starts looking hot take the warm towel off and just use another towel for the remaining minutes.

I hope this helps for next time!

You can also just put the towels in the dryer to warm them up, but we don't use dryers much in Australia!
becuase its almost always sunny outside! We only bought one for the first time in 10 years this year, and that is only because brisbane was flooding and we couldn't dry our clothes outside!

Thanks! He was shivering a lot even though I wrapped him in a loose towel for the 10 minutes and also when I was drying him, so I'll definitely try that, he's due another medicated shampoo on Monday so I'll warm the towels for then. I got some great pics of my drowned Bobby, so will post them later if I can work it out! Oh, and the food idea worked too :) his dandruff is starting to look better already even after one wash so I'm hoping it will clear with this regime.

Second shampoo today, dandruff loads better already, used the warm towels and the treats which seems to be the trick, thanks.

Wonderful!! Great to hear :)

Brooky had bad dandruff when she was a pup too (still does if she gets washed too much), so I also give her fish oil capsules (I give her organic wild salmon oil capsules, the human ones in a pharmacy which I think are 1000mg or less). She gets them as a "treat" once every other day or so and goes banana's for them! I think they help too...though he breath does not smell like roses afterward! Ha. I just give them to her and she goes to her bed and chomps away.

Back