Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best. Chew. Ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best. Chew. Ever.

Has anyone else given their pups deer antlers as a chew? Usually then come cut in half (so they can get at the dried marrow) and cut in length to the size that you want. They are wonderful! Brooklyn carries hers with her everywhere and they last forever, no kidding. I have a tough chewer and she has been working on her split piece for about a month! They don't splinter, are really safe and dogs love them. It is more of a chew vs. something they ingest (only little shavings of the marrow really come off which keep her interested, the rest "wears down", so they won't "eat" they whole thing if that makes sense. They don't really swallow any of it. Here is a link where I get Brooklyn's, but they also sell them at pet stores and online:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61884070...chew-sized-for

When I order mine, I just message her and tell her what size I want for Brooky. And she shipped all the way to Australia and even sent me a free extra one. It was so worth it and not expensive at all. Oh, and they are naturally shed (so no killing is done in antler chewing!!)

You can google them too, lots of stores sell different kinds, but this woman splits them, which keeps Brooky interested MUCH longer

Post Thanks / Like

Sophie has the antler chews and they do last a long time. I take them away when they are three inches long, for fear that she might swallow it and choke.

One of our local vendors told me to *not* allow a dog to chew on one for more than 30 or 45 minutes per day, or their teeth will wear down to nubs. Made sense to me. Now that Sophie's no longer a puppy she doesn't chew as often, but still enjoys them from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

How do they smell? I hate having stinky chew toys

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice Waldor. Brooky usually losses interest after a 20 minute session (then I hide it so it stays "special") but that is good advice for those chewers that won't stop, as they are pretty hard!

I don't thing they have any smell at all. I only let Brooky have smelly chews outside, but I don't mind this one being inside at all, so that is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought one for each dog a few months back. They have never shown any interest. Thistle won't even hide them in case she gets hungry later- she does this with most things.

I've tried giving them away, and no one I know wants them.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, that is interesting...funny how all of our dogs have such different tastes!
    Were your antlers split? Like lengthwise down the middle. Brooklyn will only like those ones that are split because she can get to the softer inside for the whole length of the antler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a company in the UK making these too http://puredog.co.uk/

they are out of stock at the moment, waiting for the deer to shed their antlers!! These aren't split, I might suggest that to them!

They don't actually treat them, just test them for ecoli, salmonella and other enterbacteriacea they use fresh antlers that have not been lying around.

I really like that they are naturally shed, so no dubious ingredients, or animal testing involved
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give these a try. I am constantly looking for new safe chews for Sonny. I think he may be teething??? Does anyone know if it would be okay to give these to a four month old puppy??? (and I would of course be supervising him )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Huh, that is interesting...funny how all of our dogs have such different tastes!
    Were your antlers split? Like lengthwise down the middle. Brooklyn will only like those ones that are split because she can get to the softer inside for the whole length of the antler.
    I think that is the key. Mine will chew on antlers only until they cannot reach the soft inside and then lose interest. I might look into those! Thanks for posting.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can find, antlers seems safe for puppies. I would just watch Sonny carefully is all. When Brooklyn was teething though, she didn't actually like anything hard, she liked to chew on semi-hard and softer things (like frozen toys). But always worth a try! If you get the split ones, the center is a bit softer and since they can get at the center through the whole length if they are split, pups would be much more interested. If it is not split, Brooklyn won't even give it a second glance because the good stuff is inside