• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Star having a bad day

sugarkane74

I took Star to Dovecotes a few weeks back as she was having trouble jumping up onto the sofa and had yelped a few times and the neurologist there didn't do an MRI because after checking her over and seeing how she was jumping onto my dads lap said that she was fine, showed no signs of deteriation and he was reluctant to do an MRI at that time but told me to keep a diary and if she had this blip again to bring her in where he will do the scan.

Since then she has been fine but today she has yelped a few times when my little girl and our other dog has gone near her. She's also yelped when she jumped on the sofa and even just getting out of her basket made her yelp. I really think the weather changes affects her as last time she was like this the weather was changing.
My question is should I get her in for an MRI or see how she goes over the next couple of days??

Sorry to hear this...
I think seeing as a couple of weeks has passed since your last appointment and things are still not right,I'd get out my camera and record what she does and play this back for the neurologist.I'd give it a few days and gather the evidence and make a new appointment.
Sins

Sorry to hear this...
I think seeing as a couple of weeks has passed since your last appointment and things are still not right,I'd get out my camera and record what she does and play this back for the neurologist.I'd give it a few days and gather the evidence and make a new appointment.
Sins

Agree with Sins. I have learned the value of videos which I recommend. Hope star gets correct treatment and feels better

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think I'll do that. She's yelping this morning just from getting up too quickly and it's something she has very rarely done so I'm obviously really worried. Phoned Dovecotes and she's' booked in for 10am monday so at least it's not long to wait. Just wish there was something I could do in the meantime. I think they may give her an MRI scan this time but am scared to see how bad it has gotten since 3 years ago.
Stupid weather... I'm convinced that the sudden change has really affected her :(

Last edited:
I think I'll do that. She's yelping this morning just from getting up too quickly and it's something she has very rarely done so I'm obviously really worried. Phoned Dovecotes and she's' booked in for 10am monday so at least it's not long to wait. Just wish there was something I could do in the meantime. I think they may give her an MRI scan this time but am scared to see how bad it has gotten since 3 years ago.
Stupid weather... I'm convinced that the sudden change has really affected her :(

The weather affects my little lady too,

What meds is Star on- is there anything extra you could give her until Monday, Ruby has Lyrica twice a day but if she is feeling extra discomfort I top her up with Metacam which really helps her

Sorry Star is so uncomfortable

The weather affects my little lady too,

What meds is Star on- is there anything extra you could give her until Monday, Ruby has Lyrica twice a day but if she is feeling extra discomfort I top her up with Metacam which really helps her

Sorry Star is so uncomfortable

It does sound as if Star is experiencing a lot of pain.

I think that I read she is on 100mg gabapentin x 3 daily. This is quite a low dose. I would ask your vet if you could try doubling it to 200mg each time, just to see if that will help her over the weekend.

Many dogs have their gabapentin increased as time goes on & the symptoms become more severe. Tommy went from 100mg x 3 to 200mg x3 daily when the symptoms worsened. Later metacam had to be added.

He is now on Lyrica 75mg X 2 daily but also needs metacam every day to keep him comfortable.
I do worry that we may be running out of options for him.

I wish I'd have checked here earlier.. I haven't phoned the vets as I generally think they're not much cop when it comes to sm as when I went a few weeks ago with her they just referred us to Dovecotes but wouldn't do anything else medication wise.

Margaret, how long has Tommy been on the higher dose and has it made a big difference?
My heart really goes out to these poor little dogs. I hate to think of Star in pain. Really hope we can get something sorted on monday.

Back