• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Thyroid and CM, PSOM problems and medicine

pkt89

Hi,
My dog is just now diagnosed with thyroid problem and is on soloxine 0.1mg, 2 times a day. He also has CM and PSOM and is on NAC supplement 600mg daily, omeprazole 5mg daily and Gabapentin 100 mg at night only.
Has any of your dogs with similar Heath problems like mine? Please share your experience.
Thanks
Kitty

Hi Kitty,

Sorry you're dealing with another medical problem Sydney was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7 or 8 years ago and has been on the same dossage of soloxine as your dog. I can't help you with CM and PSOM and any adverse reactions with the drugs, but I can say that Sydney has MVD and takes multiple medications for that. Soloxine has had no bad affects on his heart treatment.

The one thing I will say to look out for is skin issues. Because of the thyroid disease he has a weaker immune system and is prone to more infections. He gets a staph infection on his body that looks like large red welts. Most times, I can treat it with just washing with medicated shampoo and prescription antibiotic cream from the vet. For more severe outbreaks, he needs to take an antibiotic. I usually know when an outbreak is coming on when he starts scratching at his belly.

I'm not sure if all dogs with hypothroidism have skin issues, but wanted to mention it to you since scratching seems to be a classic sign of SM/CM.

I'm hoping that your vet did a full thyroid panel and sent it to Jean Dodd's Hemopet lab as you're in California rather than just medicating based on a T4. I'm in the east so I get thyroid panels done at Michigan State University. It's important to regularly monitor with a panel because oversupplementation can produce hyperthyroidism which is more dangerous that hypothyroidism. I've had dogs with a low T4 on a blood chem panel but then had normal thyroid panels when the complete panel was done, so I'd not medicate based on only a T4. Hyperthyroidism is even more dangerous for a dog with heart disease.

As long as Soloxine keeps the thyroid values in the normal range, there should be no problem for dogs with concurrent health problems that are taking other meds. I'd keep a close eye esp. in the beginning. I've had a few foster Cavaliers come in on Soloxine and after running a full panel, my vet has stopped the medication.

Pat

Dry pads

Hi,
My dog is just now diagnosed with thyroid problem and is on soloxine 0.1mg, 2 times a day. He also has CM and PSOM and is on NAC supplement 600mg daily, omeprazole 5mg daily and Gabapentin 100 mg at night only.
Has any of your dogs with similar Heath problems like mine? Please share your experience.
Thanks
Kitty

I checked today and noticed the his pads under his paws are very dry, I can touch the dry skin, wonder if it is drug side effect. Can I use aloe Vera on his pads?
Thanks
Kitty

Back