• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shaky front legs?

LJW

My 12 week old puppy, Bobby, has shaky front legs! It seems to be when he's in a play session, they shake even when he's just sitting. Is it just excitement do you think? Anything else I should be checking for? I should say that I am trying not to be paranoid about health issues as shown in my other posts but thought this one is worth asking, thanks.

Don't worry, we dont think you are paranoid :) this board is here for you to ask questions, so ask away. We have all been there with the "ah, what is that!" and the "is this SM" thoughts in the back of out mind, so you are not alone. We are here for all the questions you need, and to remind to to enjoy as well ;-P

As for shaky front legs, I will let others who are more health wise answer. Sometimes (not often) Brookyln's right front leg gives a little shake, but her neurologist just said that it was a muscle spasm vs. a symptom of something, but she had the luxury of seeing and poking and prodding Brooky so I can't say for sure about other things with your pup.

I know weak legs are SM signs, but shaking after play? Not sure...others might know if that is in the same field or not.

Also, excitement can do it too I would assume. Sometimes when Brooklyn was really small (few months old) she did literally shake from excitement (not wag, but seriously shake). So that could be it. Once our trainer told us not to indulge the behavior or reward her with attention, she totally calmed down and I have never seen her do it again and stop play now if she gets a bit too excited (she is still a puppy even at 11months!). So in that particular instance, that worked for us. But can say if his is behavioral or medical. Maybe some others will have some thoughts :)

Have you had a word with his breeder about his problems? It does sound more like excitement, unless he's a generally weak puppy, but he doesn't look as if he is from your Avatar. Have you got some photographs of him that we can see?

It all sounds perfectly normal.Young puppies shiver from excitement,nervousness or excitement as they expore their new world.
If you feel he's a bit cold,just snuggle him up beside you in a little blanket and keep him out of draughts.Just enjoy and make the most of this time with them.They grow so fast and before we know it,they're all grown up and settled.
Sins

Thanks, it's his front legs only that are shaky, like knobbly knees?! I'll try and video it if he's not too quick!

Hi LJW. I've noticed the same thing with my Bailey who is 11 weeks old today. However, I've only noticed it when he is sitting and not after play. He tends to like to sit kinda sideways and that's when one of his little legs will start shaking a bit. It seems once he shifts his weight it stops. We mentioned it to his vet on Monday and she tested the strength a bit in both legs and all seemed fine.

I'm trying so hard not to be paranoid about SM, but it's very difficult. Every little thing I see -- most of which I'm sure is normal puppy behavior -- I find myself questioning and obsessing about. I'm trying to figure out how to find the balance between healthy observation/concern and paranoia -- I'm hoping I'll find it in time.

I'm starting to chill out a bit now. I'm pretty sure his leg twitches out of excitement and anticipation and/or tiredness.

I've noticed the same thing with my Bailey who is 11 weeks old today. However, I've only noticed it when he is sitting and not after play. He tends to like to sit kinda sideways and that's when one of his little legs will start shaking a bit. It seems once he shifts his weight it stops. We mentioned it to his vet on Monday and she tested the strength a bit in both legs and all seemed fine.

Our Jessie does the exact same, he's 12 weeks. He doesn't favour any particular side though. It's only been the last two weeks at most, and
he was sitting very erect and upright beforehand. Our vet tested his hind legs and although Jessie didn't yelp or show any discomfort, he happily let her pull one leg, but kept turning his head to her while she tested the other. She checked his spine several times, which seemed
fine. I've noticed the shaking leg is usually on the opposite side to which he's leaning. His foot doesn't have as firm a contact with the carpet
and tends to quiver a little.

I hear you with the paranoia.
Before joining this forum, I really didn't know the seriousness of the health fears that face Cavalier owners.
Jessie already has a fairly large hernia, and now an anal gland issue. My poor little guy.

Back