Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obedience course - then to agility!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    I'm confused about what you mean by a gentle leader. Both my Cavaliers wear them, but they are harnesses with the lead attached at the front, not on the back, so that if the dog pulls he automatically turns towards you. They work brilliantly. But Mindysmum seems to be talking about something like a halti? Oliver is Coventry's champion for how to wriggle out of a halti in the shortest possible time - absolutely useless for him! And I've never actually seen a dog looking relaxed and happy in one - there are too many nerves near the surface on a dog's nose for them to be 100% comfortable. Or do you mean the figure-of-eight headcollars that just go behind the dog's ears and round his muzzle?

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    I have heard about the harness version, but I do mean something along the lines of a halti.

I have seen many dogs relaxed and happy with them if they are used correctly. I could imagine if someone was constantly tugging on it and tightening it around their nose it would be uncomfortable. Just as tugging them back roughly. But If they are gentle with them the dogs don't seem to mind.
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Haltis are not the best form of harness (though not really a harness per se) to use for a cavalier. First: their noses are a bit short for them and on many they just slide off. But also -- many people do not feel something that pulls at the head (or the neck, like a collar) in a breed with such a high incidence of syringomyelia, which frequently causes pain and discomfort around the head and neck, is a suitable. Some neurologists have said they would generally recommend harnesses unless the dog already has SM and finds them uncomfortable -- because the pulling of a collar etc could possibly worsen an existing syrinx.

They also are not a particularly good form of restraint (and this is a breed that can bolt after things unexpectedly!) as they can often slide off more easily on a short nosed breed.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Haltis are not the best form of harness (though not really a harness per se) to use for a cavalier. First: their noses are a bit short for them and on many they just slide off. But also -- many people do not feel something that pulls at the head (or the neck, like a collar) in a breed with such a high incidence of syringomyelia, which frequently causes pain and discomfort around the head and neck, is a suitable. Some neurologists have said they would generally recommend harnesses unless the dog already has SM and finds them uncomfortable -- because the pulling of a collar etc could possibly worsen an existing syrinx.

They also are not a particularly good form of restraint (and this is a breed that can bolt after things unexpectedly!) as they can often slide off more easily on a short nosed breed.
    Thank you Karlin. That is what I was originally thinking, the bit about SM. I assume Kokoda does not have it as he is 7/8 months old and shows no symptoms, but you do never know with cavaliers. So lets say he has a small unknown syrinx, the use of a collar or halti type thing would worsen it?

I have been using the puppia harnesses with him, and I used the EZYdog harness for my previous cav. I have never walked a cav with just a collar, but that was only because our first dog loved to choke himself and then I got used to using a harness. If we do work on heeling in class, what would be the best thing to use?
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cavalier Agility

I have a 12 1/2 year old Blenheim who didn't start agility until the age of 4. Last fall, at 11 1/2, he earned his NADAC NATCH and V-NATCH titles. He has always trained and competed with my daughter who is now 20 and a university student. He is still healthy and loves doing agility so I have taken to "training" with him. What a forgiving student he is, putting up with my mistakes. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot about how to train a dog. This summer, I got a new puppy (I'm replacing the border collie my daughter took to college with her.). My puppy is almost 8 months old now. I've started him out with puppy socialization classes, followed by a basic obedience class, I intend to have him do agility. My current thinking is that he needs to master some basic commands and develop an initial working relationship with me before beginning agility. I plan on one more obedience class and then I'm thinking agility this spring.

The place we go to for agility is all about SAFE agility! They do train puppies BUT they have a limited obstacle training environment! IF you plan on training a puppy, make sure the training environment is designed especially for this age group. I, personally, prefer the NADAC venue that limits the strains on their joints by having size/age appropriate jumps, Aframes and walks that are safe; Just recently they totally eliminated the teeter due to health concerns,

Given the fact that my 12.5 year old Cav still loves to run in agility AND CAN is a testament to this venue. Your Cav will love agility! In his joy to please you, don't compromise his health! bE AWARE of trainers and venues that allow you and your precious friend to have fun and not impact their health!

AND ENJOY! They will love this!