• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Today's the day

murphy's mum

We have Misty's appointment in Glasgow, for her consultation today, and possibly her MRI, as long as there are no emergencies. We've fed Murphy as normal, so we're getting the bashed puppy look from Misty, the girl does love her food, and can't understand why we're not giving her any.

We've to be there for 11:30, so that's four hours away, but we'll be leaving in about an hour and a half to travel up. I've written all her symptoms down, got her claims form and insurance, and packed her fuzzy throw to bring her home with. I feel exhausted already, needless to say I never slept much last night, and I'm a little uptight, but once we've set off I think I'll feel better.

Murphys staying with his 'Nana' while were away today, so I know he'll be in good hands, so at least there's one thing less to worry about. My MIL has just retired so her parting words on Saturday were, "if the curtains are closed just send him upstairs" :grin:

Thank you all for your continued support, and I'll check in later :)

I know how exhausting this part of the journey is...it is like running a marathon before a big race, so hard. I will be thinking of you and Misty today and sending all of my prays to you for your long journey. Hang in there and keep us updated. BIG HUGS :hug:

I know you will have left for the drive to Glasgow by now, but I just want you to know that I will be thinking of you and Misty and hoping to hear some good news. If not - there are many different treatments available, which can make a vast difference.:)

I am thinking of you today. Only to many of us know what you are feeling right now. Hope that the outcome is a good one.

Very best of luck today.I know you'll be very glad to get this part over and done with.
Sins

Well that's the OH and I home, but we had to leave Misty overnight. They were just too busy with emergencies to do everything today.

We saw Allison Haley, a very nice American lady. She said Misty doesn't seem to be fully aware of her hindlegs, and shows less strength in her front right leg than normal too. She showed no sign of pain during the neck/head exam, but due to the symptoms I had listed, she was concerned. She said there are three possible causes, the first being SM/CM, the second, a problem with her discs, and thirdly, an inflammatory condition. There is also a small chance it could be cancer, but she said that was well down her list, which I am grateful to hear.

So we left Misty in the hands of three nice students, who were going to take her away and give her a snack, which will earn them Misty's ever lasting love I'm sure. She will get full blood work taken tomorrow, an MRI and then a spinal tap whilst still under GA. We've just to wait on a phone call to go back up and get her.

That's good..I'm sure you'll miss her dreadfully overnight,but they seem to be very thorough and determined to identify the root cause of her problems.
I bet they just love her and no doubt will take great care of her.
Sins

I've found that whenever a cavalier has had to stay overnight at a vets or a hospital that they quickly work their magic on the staff and are hardly ever left alone. Misty should be a happy girl for the rest of the day and she's got her fuzzy throw to sleep with tonight.

I'll be thinking of you and anxiously awaiting (with the rest of CavalierTalk) her results tomorrow. Good luck. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

It's very strange being home without her, not that Murphy seems fussed at all, he's claimed his Mum's lap back, and the OH is being shunned for a change:cool: I'll be glad to get her home again, but I know she's in good hands, so I'm not worrying about her, just missing her.

Thinking about Misty and sending her my prayers. It must have been hard to leave her, but it will be over in no time and I am sure you will be happy to have all of those tests done once they are. The waiting game is never an easy one though! I will be thinking of you!

Wishing you well for tomorrow- Unfortunetly there are too many off us that know exactly how you are feeling!

I hope you get the answers you need tomorrow so that you can got Misty on to the correct treatment and care!!

I have been thinking of you and Misty all day but not had time to catch up with this thread until now. I am sorry Misty has to stay overnight because they have had too much emergency work to do to complete all the tests today. I am also sorry to say I understand only too well the time taken up and the valuable and life saving work these referral services undertake because when Holly was a tiny puppy she was one of them and her life was saved by the emergency treatment she was given at The Willows.

From what you say I think the American lady is looking at all the right things and has got her possibilities and priorities just right. Let's wait to hear what tomorrow's test results show. Meanwhile, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Well it seems my worse fears have now been confirmed :(

Misty went for her MRI at 10am this morning, they called at 0830 to say she'd been really good overnight and to let me know she was going in.

Someone has just called back, to let me know that the MRI has confirmed SM. Her English was a little hard to understand, but I think she said a malformation ran the full length of her spin. Allison isn't in until 1600, so we have to wait until then to pick her up, so I'll get all the details then.

I'm now dying to get my little angel back in my arms.

We'll be leaving in an hour and a half to pick her up, but in the mean time can anyone think of anything I should ask Allison about while I'm there? :?

EDIT: Allison is now in, so heading out now!

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about Misty’s outcome but I think it was a bit naughty for someone (not the neurologist) to ring you and just give you this bit of news without anything else. My vet done the same said it was the worse he has seen and then when I saw Clare it was not as bad as he told me. So wait and see until you see the neurologist to see how bad it really is. Obviously you need to talk about medication. Don’t know if Zitac will be a choice as this is for preventing SM from getting worse.

I have written about the insurance claim seperate.
When you pick up Misty tell them to email the invoice to [email protected] no seperate form needed. Just make sure it says PRE AUTHORAUSATION.

Last edited:
Just a little bit of advice in regards to your pre Authorisation.
I have been on the phone with AXA 3 times this morning. I am chasing the pre authorisation as I am worried that if it takes too long my vet won’t allow any more Pre Authorisation in the future. I was told today that all of a sudden the invoice my vet faxed to AXA doesn’t show on the computer. Well to cut a long story short, after talking to yet another claims adviser the invoice is showing on the computer but because the difference between the original figure and the end figure is £6.76 AXA got confused and started processing the Pre Authorisation as a normal claim. How convenient.

Also Brian an update !!!! They are now working on claims received 17 th August. We are lucky to have any money by the end of October. And if you want to complain you have to write to AXA first, if their complaints department don’t deal with the complaint satisfactory then you need to complain to the Head Office and only after that you can go to the Ombudsman.

Back