• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ben was attacked yesterday

It is so sad that big dogs get such a bad wrap. I grew up with labs and German Shepards who were so sweet and gentle. In fact most of the dogs that snap at Jack are little toy dogs. The dog that bit him was a dachshund. HOWEVER, as we all know it can only take one bite from a big dog to cause serious possible deadly damage, thus I am always more leary around the larger breeds. It is a sad but true reality. I once had a man with two adult pitbulls lecture me when I pulled Jack away from a meet and greet session on the street. He said something like "not all pitbulls are mean and people like you perpetuate the stereotype". I felt bad because I love all dogs, but should something stir these owner labeled "friendly dogs" , I know one chomp and Jack would be done.

I appreciate the ideas above. One never knows how they will react in the situation. However, the technique for pulling the hind legs is a good one to store away in the back of my mind. One never knows when this information may be applicable and save a life. In the meantime, I just keep Jack on close lead and keep socialization to the neighborhood dogs I really know well.

Glad to hear poor Ben is seeming a little better today. I cringe everytime I read about him being shaken by the bigger dog. Give him lots of gentle kisses and hugs from Jack and I.

My daughter's small Brittney Spaniel pup was attacked by a Pit Bull several years ago, while in her yard. The dog actually followed her boyfriend, who had picked up the pup when he saw the dog, inside the apartment building and tore the puppy from his arms, also biting him in the process. It was a pretty traumatic scene, but thankfully the police were near. Pepper spray had no effect on the Pitt, and sadly he was shot by the police to save the pup from literally being torn apart. The pup was badly bruised and had a puncture wound completely through his hind quarter, but did survive without any permenent physical damage. He remains fearful of unfamiliar anaimals. We later found out that the dog had previously attacked and seriously injured another dog, yet he was again unleashed on the street. Irresponsible owners are responsible for these types of tradegies.

Thank you for sharing this story. I've been too trusting and now know to be more protective. Give our best to Ben.

So sorry to hear about this Jim, I wrote you a long reply last night and it obviously didn't appear :mad:

How is Ben today?

It's good that he has started eating again, try softening his Burns with some warm water, if he is sore around the head area he might be finding it hard to eat hard food.

You can obtain something called Zylkene from your vet, that might help to calm Ben.

Rescue Remedy is brilliant, you can get it from your chemist. I put 3-4 drops in their water bowl, also put 2 drops in their mouth [be careful with the glass dropper] - can do this as often as every 5 minutes for up to an hour in an emergency situation.

Also a few drops of Lavender essential oil - again in chemist or health food shop - in the area he is lying is calming.

The episode has made me assess meeting large dogs and from now on I will be avoiding them and/or picking him up as well as carrying a heavy stick.

Please don't pick him up as that actually encourages other dogs to attack as it increases their interest, you are also putting yourself in danger too.

The best thing is stand still facing the oncoming dog, in dog behaviour this acts as a block [why people often have recall problems]

YOu are both in our thoughts, hoping that Ben will soon be feeling a lot better. Once he is a bit better, try introducing him to dogs he knows that will be gentle and build up from there.

You can have no idea how much it distresses me to read of these awful PBT attacks. They are outlawed in the UK, but imported for breeding and fighting from Ireland. Unless detected at border controls and ports there is no way to stop this happening.

The fighting people openly boast on web sites about the ferocity of their animals, then mate them with others of similar calibre hoping to perpetuate the ferocity of the fighting strain.

You have no idea how much it distresses me or how many recollections run through my head every time I read of these attacks. That poor little pup is lucky not to have been more traumatised by the attack.

I carry a slim handbag sized aerosol of hairspray in my pocket when I am out with the dogs. Any nasty ones getting too up close and personal will get it full in the face and eyes. Rough justice yes, but if the owner cannot or will not control their dog then it is for me to protect mine.

Someone told me to carry pepper spray in case me and Bobby are set upon by any vicious dog off the lead. Is this legal and if so, does anyone know how to get it?

In the United Kingdom, "Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing" is a Prohibited Weapon, under S.5 of The Firearms Act 1968. The same act covers other prohibited weapons such as automatic firearms and rocket launchers, all of which can only be possessed by permission of the Home Secretary. Although legal for police officers, recent debates have arisen whether such a weapon should be legal for civilians as means of defensive purposes only.

This is effective for deterring dogs http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/products/pet-corrector

Snakes, insects and birds such as geese, use their hiss sound to drive off predators and our domesticated pets have an instinctive sensitivity to this sound. The Pet Corrector emits a hiss of air which mimics this sound, to interrupt undesirable behaviours in dog.

I would not personally use it for jumping up etc but have carried it in the past when we used to walk near the house of some Collies that had previously attacked Rupert [and were often loose :(] It made them go away.

Please don't use hairspray, you could seriously injure their eyes and possibly be charged with assault :(

Always keep your height, and shout "NO" in a loud voice, it should halt the dog long enough to get your dog safely behind you. You need to project confidence.

As Karen says, learn to read body language - dogs that want to play have big, loose body movements. Dogs that may want to fight are much stiffer in their movements.

Hi James

However I am considering purchasing a small riding whip, and keeping it up my sleeve or coat, to protect my girls as anything like that is distressing to all.
Let us know how he gets on :hug:

I'm loving that idea - I'm thinking about pepper spray myself. I get so upset when an irresponsible owner has a dog off a leash and it injures someone. No excuse for that.

I'm sorry this happened to your dog, but so glad that it wasn't worse.

I carry a slim handbag sized aerosol of hairspray in my pocket when I am out with the dogs. Any nasty ones getting too up close and personal will get it full in the face and eyes. Rough justice yes, but if the owner cannot or will not control their dog then it is for me to protect mine.

Please be extremely careful, especially with PBTs. The police used pepper spray on the dog attacking the pup, 3 times, spraying him full in the face. This only incited him more. I was told that if thye are fighters pain just increases their viciousness. The police really did not want to shot for fear of hitting the pup, but even if that happened at that point it would have been more humane then having him ripped apart by the other dog. The dog did bite Dave,, who was holding the pup,leaving a gash in his arm, also. Poor Dave, he didn't get to go to the hospital until after the pup was treated.

Please be extremely careful, especially with PBTs. The police used pepper spray on the dog attacking the pup, 3 times, spraying him full in the face. This only incited him more. I was told that if thye are fighters pain just increases their viciousness. The police really did not want to shot for fear of hitting the pup, but even if that happened at that point it would have been more humane then having him ripped apart by the other dog. The dog did bite Dave,, who was holding the pup,leaving a gash in his arm, also. Poor Dave, he didn't get to go to the hospital until after the pup was treated.

But surely the hairspray would temporarily blind the dog, so that he would not be able to see what he was doing, giving me or the person on the receiving end with a chance to get the hell out of there?

I have been thinking alot abut this over the last few days and it is worrying to think that even by holding your dog they could still be in trouble.

There are alot of 'pit type' breeds around where I am. I hear people bragging about their dogs all the time.

I have to be mega careful when I am out as I have 2 dogs to look after and I am on my own with them all the time, what would I do if something came on the attack- I couldn't pick both dogs up- thats over 18kg of weight and needless to say awkward! I often think I would dive on top of them both to sheild them but truth be told... who knows what I woud do In the thinck of it,

There is a certain stillness that a dog projects before it attacks. Perfect stillness! The ears are normally flat and the tail straight out with a slow wag at the tip back and forth. If they are on the lead they will be infront of an owner- straining with a pause and go motion of movement or a complete stillness. Owners that allow their dogs to stand and stare are making the problem worse as they are giving the dog time to get worked up. They should be turning the dog around and moving away- but if they dont then you need to get away!

If you ever watch nature programs and watch what Wolves/Hyenas/Coyotes do before they pouce, its the same thing.

I always canvas an area before I walk on to it (parks and so forth) if there is a loose dog on there that I don't know I walk another direction to go somewhere else.

If I have Ruby off lead and a dog comes on to the park that I dont know- I put her on and walk the other direction.

Dogs that turn their heads or bodys as they approach are generally a bit weary, sniffing the ground, avoiding eye contact and tail hug low- they are telling your dog that they mean no harm and don't want a confrontation.

Then there is the happy, overlly playful dog that is straining on the lead to get to your dog, tougue hanging out and nose on the go- they may be a bit much for a small cavalier to contend with in a play situation,

Please take the time to watch dogs when you are out and about- it is so very interesting and is the best lesson you ca ever have on reading a dogs way of talking!

I have been thinking alot abut this over the last few days and it is worrying to think that even by holding your dog they could still be in trouble.

There are alot of 'pit type' breeds around where I am. I hear people bragging about their dogs all the time.

I have to be mega careful when I am out as I have 2 dogs to look after and I am on my own with them all the time, what would I do if something came on the attack- I couldn't pick both dogs up- thats over 18kg of weight and needless to say awkward! I often think I would dive on top of them both to sheild them but truth be told... who knows what I woud do In the thinck of it,

There is a certain stillness that a dog projects before it attacks. Perfect stillness! The ears are normally flat and the tail straight out with a slow wag at the tip back and forth. If they are on the lead they will be infront of an owner- straining with a pause and go motion of movement or a complete stillness. Owners that allow their dogs to stand and stare are making the problem worse as they are giving the dog time to get worked up. They should be turning the dog around and moving away- but if they dont then you need to get away!

If you ever watch nature programs and watch what Wolves/Hyenas/Coyotes do before they pouce, its the same thing.

I always canvas an area before I walk on to it (parks and so forth) if there is a loose dog on there that I don't know I walk another direction to go somewhere else.

If I have Ruby off lead and a dog comes on to the park that I dont know- I put her on and walk the other direction.

Dogs that turn their heads or bodys as they approach are generally a bit weary, sniffing the ground, avoiding eye contact and tail hug low- they are telling your dog that they mean no harm and don't want a confrontation.

Then there is the happy, overlly playful dog that is straining on the lead to get to your dog, tougue hanging out and nose on the go- they may be a bit much for a small cavalier to contend with in a play situation,

Please take the time to watch dogs when you are out and about- it is so very interesting and is the best lesson you ca ever have on reading a dogs way of talking!

I have to agree with you, I've been thinking about this a lot too. There are often dogs straying while we are out, some have actually become 'friends' with my two, but then there are those, especially the ones who watch us through their fence and look quiet and still, focused. There is one in particular that we don't walk past the house anymore because the dog looked very menacing, and she's completely quiet and still with that stance. I'm afraid she'll jump her fence someday. Then there's the big labs across the road that bounce against their gate and bark to high heaven. It's a dangerous thing, having a dog, what a pity.
I don't like the idea of a whip or stick, but maybe the stick could put a barrier between the attacker and your own dog. I don't know. Being vigilant and aware at all times is best, but still there are no guarantees.

Okay, I will say it. If it's me, and I fear an attack, I will do WHATEVER I have to do to protect Claire. That may mean damaging the other dog, and I will take my chances with the end results.

I am a HUGE animal lover, but the safety of people and small animals comes first. Sometimes dogs that attack are beyond saving due to damage done early in their life. And a dog that would attack a small dog would generally attack a toddler or small child.

And yes, small dogs can attack too. A family member had a dog that bit too many people to count. This dog had been through hundreds of dollars of training and behavior modification. His background was unknown as he ended up in a shelter early on, at maybe 2-3 years old. Even rescue didn't want him. He was a mess. When he became agitated it was like he was in another world.

It's just hard to know what to do, and it's a shame that we have to think about this. When I walk down the street with Claire, I put myself between her and anyone walking toward us. I hope never to have to face this issue.

Hope that Ben is improving every day, poor sweet dear!

I'm going to get the 30ml corrector spray and keep it in my coat pocket as a precaution. I think avoiding likely situations is the most important thing, then reading dog behaviour and if then an awful attack does ever occur, will try the corrector spray and some karate kicks if necessary!

And yes, small dogs can attack too.

Yes people forget that - generally not Cavaliers though! I've known of a Jack Russell run through the legs of a very gentle GSD, and bite him badly underneath :yikes:(

And a dog that would attack a small dog would generally attack a toddler or small child.

I'm sorry I don't agree with this, dog aggression is very different from people aggression.

Thank you all again for your kind words and comments. Ben has improved noticeably yesterday (Saturday) and today, considering that on Friday when I lifted him very gently and he screamed with pain, yesterday I took him in the car to my friends newly acquired farmhouse where to my surprise he chased one of the cats who obliged and ran, we have discovered that the four cats are tame,are all very dog friendly and do not see Ben as a threat, taking great pleasure in headbutting Ben and rubbing against him much to his alarm.
He also does not seem to have any fear of familiar large dogs and yesterday he met two collies that were new to him, he wanted to be friends with them as he usually is with strange dogs, it was me that was very wary.
The wider area swelling has gone down but he still has a 2" broad vertical swelling down his right side, and the single puncture wound on his left is healing well.
Conversely yesterday morning he had a panic attack when I covered him with the blanket that he normally buries himself under, I suspect that he remembers something coming from above and attacking him and possibly he does not realise that it was a dog and this is why he is not scared of them.
He is sleeping a lot but when awake has resumed his usual behaviour of accompanying me everywhere as well as constantly searching for food.

Last edited:
Good news about Ben recovering slowly but surely. On one hand, it's great he might not have realized it was a dog who attacked him and might be ok around them still.... but on the other hand, he may be frightened of other things that remind him of the attack (like the blanket).

Back