• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ben was attacked yesterday

James

Ben was attacked yesterday by a large grey dog, a weimaraner I think. I had him on a lead in the local country park when it walked up to us off the lead, its owners shouting it back, it did not look aggressive but immediately went for him, picking him up to its head height and shaking him like a rag doll, It was all over in seconds.
I took him to the emergency vets immediately, he has a tiny puncture wound to his right ear, a large puncture 1/2" to his back and is sore all over especially to his back which is very bruised.
Today he is hiding under furniture and obviously very sore and more worryingly not eating or drinking, I usually work mornings but have taken the day off to look after him, I hope that I can coax him to eat but I have just opened a can of dog food and he would not touch it, he usually gets dry food and sees canned food as something tasty.

That's absolutely horrendous.
Thank goodness his injuries,although bad enough, are not life threatening.He sounds very traumatised though.If he's not drinking by this evening,perhaps give the vet a call.
I hope the owners of the aggressive dog are taking responsibility for this.
Sins

Hi james

Poor Ben ,thankfully his injuries dont seem to severe ,if you see that dog again give
it a kick in the gxxxxxx from me to make it stay away .I would consider having a stout
wooden walking stick but these things attack without warning its hard to respond one
has to be so careful with our innocent little Cavaliers .

Bset Wishes to you James and Ben

Oh poor Ben!!! I am so happy the physical injuries do not seem to be horrible, but it is another thing for the emotional injuries. Poor wee soul, what an unfair encounter. This happened to a friend of mine about a month ago, but she has a small Boston Terrier, it took it a lot better than I would ever imagine a Cav would. And what does one do in a situation like this? You were responsible with Ben on a leash, yet the other dog was the problem. I am so sorry :(

What did the owners do?

I bet Ben is feeling some shock which is why he is not eating. Keep at it, maybe try some scrambled eggs or chicken? He might not eat til after a good sleep. Oh, so heart breaking. I will be thinking of Ben and hope he gets better soon!!!

Hi James

So sorry to hear that Ben was attacked, Weimaraners were originally bred as hunting dogs and can attack very quickly as I've seen myself.
Poor Ben is obviously very sore and upset as you are too. Maybe just try to give him little nibbles/treats that he might like. I'm sure he will improve in a few days. Did you get the details of the dog owners?
Our lovely breed always seem to be bullied and picked on by other breeds I think other dogs sense them as being a soft touch. I mentioned on a thread this morning that Bella was attacked by a toy poodle of all things, but luckly no damage. However I am considering purchasing a small riding whip, and keeping it up my sleeve or coat, to protect my girls as anything like that is distressing to all.
Let us know how he gets on :hug:

Poor Ben, he must feel very traumatised. He may just need a little more time to sleep & get over the shock.

There are certain things that I have in my fridge or freezer that I fall back on when the dogs are obviously off colour.............

Try hand feeding him a little chicken if you have any, and perhaps some slightly warmed goats milk will get him drinking ( or cows milk as long as he is not sensitive to it )

If he continues to refuse liquids, which is the most worrying symptom, I might consider syringing a little amount of water, only a small drop at a time, into the side of his mouth.

Poor Ben and what a shock for you too. Thank goodness he wasn't injured more severly. it sounds like he is in shock now after the trauma.
Do you have any Rescue Remedy drops? A squirt in his water might help him-if he is drinking anything.
I hope he feels better soon.

He ate a little chicken about an hour ago and I just have coaxed him to eat some of the canned food and he then drank for the first time since it happened.
He obviously very sore and stiff and has just gone back into hiding under the settee.
A neighbour is getting me more chicken
The police were informed so I will have to wait and see what transpires on that front.

I have never heard of flower remedies what are they?

James,
Im angered and appalled at your post. Poor Ben and poor you.
Leo was attatcked last year by a labrador which was off lead, luckily I had Leo on a lead so he couldnt run away as Im sure the b****y lab would have set up chase.:mad:

I hope you are ok as well as Ben as I was very shaken by the whole experience.
But I have to say not as shaken as the owner of the lab when I'd finished with him !!

Ah good suggestion Charleyfarly, rescue remedy is supposed to be really good. James you can buy it in most chemists and its a case of adding a few drop to the water. It just helps the dog to relax and not feel so stressed. Its great for dogs and humans.
I'm glad he's had some chicken, hope he's better soon.

So sorry to hear about Ben. A neighbour's beautiful Labrador was attacked by some kind of terrier off the lead this week, the owner has a bitten thigh and the poor lab is in animal hospital with a chunk out of it's side. So irresponsible having these kind of dogs off the lead and uncontrolled. My tiny puppy Bobby would not have stood a chance. Hope Ben gets well soon x

Oh no. I hope Ben is now feeling better.

It's terrible to hear of these attacks, people can be so lax at controlling their animals while they are running free :(

Hi James, so sorry to hear about Ben. Grrrrrrrr some dog breeds must be on leash at all times! Hence the proposal by one of the local MPs here (or was it by SPCA, I can't be sure now) that owner of particular breeds need to be "licensed", much more than what we currently pay for normal dog license to Councils. That way they understand the reasons why, and some of the money could go to insurance, 3rd party if you like. I agree with Brian, give it a good kick in the butt! You take care Ben, and get well soon.
--
Chloe, everybody's pal in Albany, Auckland.

Hi James, so sorry to hear about Ben. Grrrrrrrr some dog breeds must be on leash at all times! Hence the proposal by one of the local MPs here (or was it by SPCA, I can't be sure now) that owner of particular breeds need to be "licensed", much more than what we currently pay for normal dog license to Councils. That way they understand the reasons why, and some of the money could go to insurance, 3rd party if you like. I agree with Brian, give it a good kick in the butt! You take care Ben, and get well soon.
--
Chloe, everybody's pal in Albany, Auckland.

I will not advocate that some breeds should singled out. All pets should be leashed or otherwise restrained (in carriers, etc). I have known many vicious chihuahuas and dachshunds, and some very sweet German shepherds and other so-called aggressive breeds. All owners are responsible for keeping their pet(s) under control.

I'm very sorry about Ben. He didn't deserve to that. I hope he (and you) has a speedy recovery, physically and emotionally.

Oh my goodness! Poor dear Ben, and poor you having to go through this! I swear, some dog owners just don't take responsibility, I don't know if their dog had no history of this or what, but maybe should have been on a lead.

This happened to our Bobby last year, a neighbour's dog, an Old English sheepdog, who is locked in the back all the time, charged out of the house and attacked Bobby with no warning, I held tight to the lead and pushed away the dog whilst the owners just stood and watched. Very scary, and Bobby had no injuries, but was very afraid of going out the door for a few days thereafter.

A friend's dog, a little JRT, was killed in his own garden just a few days ago, some people (a certain type of people) were out walking with their greyhounds and they came into the property and grabbed the little fella and killed him. So sad.

Do let us know what happens with the Weimariner. It's such a shame how these things happen. I've been tempted myself to walk with a stick, just in case...

Yes, that is the thing...it can happen with any dog at any time. That is what must have been so scary for you...you cannot tell from a distance what a dog might be like, I for one (based on my experience with them) would not have been nervous about a weimaraner off the bat at all! And on the flip side, one of Brooky's playmates is a pitt bull (now that sounds scary, to be honest, that is a breed I have been lead to be a bit frightened of), but this dog is docile and perfectly trained and so gentle. And a tinier than Brooky duchess hound tried to attack her last week. Geez, you just can never predict can you?! It is a sham because it is really the responsibility of the owners, full stop. Ben should have never gone through this if that dog's owners had just been responsible and had that dog on a leash.

I know when Brooklyn got nipped by the duchess hound, both dogs were leashed and it was clear from far away that we were heading towards each other and Brooklyn was pulling that way to say hi as she does to most dogs in the neighbourhood. But instead of telling us his dogs were aggressive, or crossing the street, or moving the dogs to his other side, the owner let it all play out til the snarled and attacked! I screamed so loud (because I am a bit scared of dogs anyway to be honest, as funny as that is) and the owner just looked at me and goes "they are aggressive, so" I was like "yeah, no s*&t!". I yelled at him that is was his responsibility to not lead his dogs to other dogs to 'see what happens' he needs to be responsible...but he just looked at me and walked away. It amazes me some people...

How is Ben going today?

Back