Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is buying from a puppy farm always bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is buying from a puppy farm always bad?

Are there any good puppy farms? or is it a case of steer clear of all of them?

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought the answer to that would have been painfully obvious.

People who mass breed in that manner are only interested in the money they can potentially make from their "stock", they show little or no regard for the animals wellbeing, as long as they continue to churn out puppies. Have you never seen reports on puppy farming? The dark and squalid conditions dogs are kept in, standing in a dark cramped cage, in their own fleas and filth? Have you never visited the Many Tears website? The many, many pictures of ex breeding dogs standing terrified at being outdoors, with their nipples hanging that long they nearly touch the ground! They have never been outside, and have just been puppy making machines in their owners eyes.

I have a rescue dog myself, and many others on here do too, it's heartbreaking to see how fearful they are of everyday things that any socialized and well cared for dog wouldn't blink twice at. Misty ears were stinking when she came to us, you could smell her across the room. They were badly infected, she needed her teeth cleaned, and four removed, she had rolled eyelids on both side, one eye had an ulcer on it it had rubbed that long. Her nipples were ingrained with dirt, even after frequent bathing, and they were so long. Not to mention how nervous she was. Even to this day she is terrified if she see's my FIL in his overalls, and any raised voice still sends her trotting off to bed.

I sound mad, and I can assure your I am, the subject of puppy farming gets my blood boiling in two seconds flat. I'll be honest, I find your question very insulting to the many people who work so hard to shut puppy farms down, or the ones who dedicate their lives to helping the poor miserable creatures who come from these places. Not to mention the owners who have had puppies die in their arms after only a few short weeks.

I'll stop myself there, but believe me when I say I could say much, much more.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

murphy's mum: I would have thought the answer to that would have been painfully obvious.
    I couldn't agree more. At best the question is thoughtless.
    Who in their right mind will ever buy from a breeder, who doesn't socialize the dogs, but only does it for the money? Dog's that are kept under horrifying circumstances? I know, cavaliers are cute, and then you "save" them, but the only thing you do is encourage the irresponsible breeder to keep on going.
    I deeply respect all those people in here, who raise money and awareness for rescue dogs. I think we all wish that it wasn't necessary, but as long as people buy from puppy farms, it is, sadly.
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Éowyn & Khaleesi

Post Thanks / Like

It is probably best to steer clear of them. Over here, the breeding dogs are in small crates, often stacked on top of each other. Some (most?) of these dogs' feet have never touched the earth or grass, they are filthy, unwell, etc. Many, if not most or all of the breeding dogs have mental health problems due to their treatment. This is what I have seen on our local television news and newspapers, when a puppy mill is discovered and shut down by the authorities.

To buy from these "breeders" only encourages them to stay in business and continue treating their dogs this way. They will not change, unless it is not profitable. If not one person purchased from a puppy mill, they would find something else to do, to earn a living.

Post Thanks / Like

An obvious and definite stay clear. My boy was a stud dog from a puppy farm, and he has MVD and dry eye..so the puppies my boy helped produce will most probably carry/develop these diseases? puppy farms are absolutely disgraceful.
    ..Life wouldn't be complete without a beautiful cavalier at your feet..
    xxxx Mummy to Murphy, aged 8. MVD wont stop my precious boy! xxxx
    28/09/09 Gotcha Day <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default I think this says it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpe62iVGzKg&NR=1

This little lady was posted about a while back- I hope little Rosie is doing much better but I can say that Rosie is shown here is better condition than many i've seen !

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A really complex question that will raise people's hackles, especially for those that have tried to mend the shattered lives of former puppy farm breeding dogs, but it deserves a considered answer.

I'm not trying to upset anyone but I do think the ethics of these things are not as straightforward as we would like to think.

Sometimes it does seem that current beliefs about puppy farms and rescue are considered sacrosanct and nobody should question them.

In my opinion the answer is yes, buying from a puppy farm ( or pet shop ) is bad, even when the intention is to rescue a poor suffering puppy, because you encourage the bad breeding to continue.

But could the same could be said of the rescue schemes that take middle age breeding bitches from these bad breeders when they know this will enable them to restock with younger dogs?

Another problems is that of definition. How do you define a Puppy Farm? We all think we know what we mean, but where does a poor or irresponsible breeder end and where does a puppy farmer begin?

We all think we know what we are talking about, but for instance there are large scale commercial breeding establishments in the USA that keep their dogs in clean conditions and feed them regularly.......... Are they puppy farms?

What about the breeder/exhibitor that keeps a large amount of dogs shut up in sheds in their garden, or crated all day in their kitchen, do not do any health testing and the only exercise their dogs get is when they go to a show...........Are they puppy farmers?

An article written by Ryan O'Meara in February 2010 states:-

"According to the Bateson report, the definition of a’dog farm’ / puppy farm is any breeder who produces four or more litters per year."

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/...ateson-report/
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    But could the same could be said of the rescue schemes that take middle age breeding bitches from these bad breeders when they know this will enable them to restock with younger dogs?
    I thought Puppy Farmers in Wales and Ireland would dispose of their bitches no matter what. If they were not taken in by one of these schemes, they would be shot or worse! These unscrupulous people don't care whether these dogs are taken into care or destroyed. I might be wrong but that is how I understood the situation.

Robbie please visit this website, http://www.dogs-r-us.org/ these people constantly campaign, investigate and lobby and have provided a lot of support to people who end up with sick puppy farmed dog.

There is also a section on my website "Dotty's Diaries" www.cavaliermatters.org
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Rob

ON many things as we all need help but I think even asking about buying from a pp is not
    a question worthy of you or CT .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Having 3 Cavaliers from a true puppy farm this is a sensitive subject for me. IMO there is NO good puppy farm. Puppy farms are simply there to mass produce puppies. They have little concern for there breeding dogs as long as they keep cranking out puppies (usually ever heat cycle). They have NO concern over the welfare of the puppies once they have made there money on them.

Now backyard breeders (home breeders) with just a small handful of breeding dogs may be a different story.... for SOME breeds with few health risks... but with a Cavalier I would even avoid them. Here most back yard breeders don't do any health testing. They may own only a few dogs and raise them inside as family. Overall these breeders have little knowledge or concern for health issues. This is just from my experience.

I am very bitter about puppy farms.... This cute little puppy :

grew up to be a beautiful well loved Cavalier:

but he was out of a full scale puppy mill. (I did not know it when I purchased him)

I think one of my old posts from last year will tell enough to say how I feel about puppy farms Here are his parents...
    These were BREEDING dogs were STRAIGHT out of the puppy farm. The lady TRIED to sell the male several times for $500!!! She was "PROUD" of these dogs! She talked them up highly. On top of that the male was used for stud on DOZENS of litters in just a few short months. He is severely affected with SM and I would imagination many of his puppies are also affected like my Flash is.
    http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...scues-are-here....
    Flash Blitz Holly