• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cross with other breed for a bigger skull?

Hello Cavalierfriends,

I saw that already 97% Cavaliers have CM... why than not try to make the skull of the Cavalier big enough for the brains by crossing with another breed?

It's not quite as simple as outcrossing ...even assuming any breeder of Cavaliers would want to.

What has been found is that in pups before birth there is abnormal cell division in the bone, but also more importantly it shows that the brain and the skull bones are not able to communicate properly with each other. This means that when the skull bones stop growing, they are not able to tell the brain to stop at the same time and the brain continues to grow a little while longer.

So if this is the case, you could breed Cavaliers as big as Great Danes by crossing them with something else, but if the brain and bones still fail to communicate, you will have the same problem.

... I saw that already 97% Cavaliers have CM...

I am not aware of that. Where did you see it?

... why than not try to make the skull of the Cavalier big enough for the brains by crossing with another breed?

The cavaliers' skulls are quite big already, in proportion to their bodies. The problem is not with the size of the skulls. It apparently is with the relationship between the embryonic growth of their skulls and their brains.

So, if we could find a breed that looks just like the cavalier but whose embryonic brain stop growing at the same time as its skull does, then we'd have something worth looking into.

Back