• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Going for Walks

ashleighelizabeth

Sonny finally is fully vaccinated and can go for walks. Yay!!! :dogwlk: Sonny has experience being on his leash. We have practiced with him during puppy class, around the house and in the backyard. He has always done well. We went on his first walk on Friday around our neighborhood and he did great. He was excited and smelling everything and didn't seem frightened by being in a new environment or by any of the people, bikers, cars, dogs , ect passing by. ( I have tried to have him in our front yard a lot while he was little to get him used to dogs, people and cars passing by) However, I tried to take him for a walk yesterday assuming that he would do well like he did the first time, but after about 5 minutes he started jumping up on me repeatedly. I tried to keep him walking, but he wouldn't stop jumping and I was afraid he was going to land funny and get hurt, so I picked him up and carried him the rest of the way home. I tried a couple of times as we walked home to put him back down, but he did the same thing and kept jumping up over and over. I'm a little stumped by the behavior because he did so well on his first walk.icon_nwunsure

My plan is to take him out today on his leash and let him guide me and decide if we leave the front yard or not . I'm assuming he is just getting used to this new activity and that it will take time just like everything else. :)

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience with their puppy when they first started going on walks.

I would guess that on the first walk he didn't really realise that he was Outside - just regarded it as an extension of your front garden. Then, the second time, it suddenly hit him - traffic, people, strange buildings - help, I need my mum! What might help is to take him a little way (carrying him if necessary) and find somewhere to sit with him on your lap. Let him look at everything while feeling secure on your lap. Be cheerful, not fussing over him (which rewards the lack of confidence), feed some treats when he's looking round in interest, play games with him (take a favourite toy if he has one) - anything to get across that Outside is fun. Encourage people to come up and say hello to him - gently - so that Outside is also where you get patted and praised. Then when he gets used to it, put him down and walk a little way. You may have to do the same when you start taking him to a park - give him time to take it in, make it a short fun visit to start with. Imagine yourself wriggling along on your stomach and you'll get some idea of a puppy's viewpoint - legs look like trees, buses, even cars, are enormous and noisy, even other dogs are big... Go slowly to give him confidence and he'll soon start enjoying his walks.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Nalu did that too but only one time. We were walking on a boring dirt road and I don't think she was having enough fun, or she may have been getting tired. I have since taken her to more scenic spots and she's been fine.

We went on another walk today and Sonny did pretty well. We tried to give him more time to take everything in as suggested. We also gave him treats along the way as he walked correctly without jumping. He did try to start jumping at one point, but my husband made him sit and we sat with him for a bit and then we continued and he seemed fine. I'm sure he will continue to have these little phases. That was good advice to imagine ourselves at puppy's eye level. I'm sure it all can be very overwhelming for him!

Chloe used to jump on my wife or me when she was smaller during our walks, and we discovered that she was either thirsty (or/and tired), thats all. We gave her some water and most of the time she will start exploring again. Easy to please our Cav. Have you tried that?
- Chloe 1-yr old Blenheim, everybody's pal, and Canine Friends' therapy dog.

Chloe used to jump on my wife or me when she was smaller during our walks, and we discovered that she was either thirsty (or/and tired), thats all. We gave her some water and most of the time she will start exploring again. Easy to please our Cav. Have you tried that?
- Chloe 1-yr old Blenheim, everybody's pal, and Canine Friends' therapy dog.

Thanks! I will try giving him some water. I hadn't even thought about him needing some since we aren't gone very long, but that is a good idea!:-D

Back