Thread: Lyra, you're a constellation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lyra, you're a constellation.

I got my Cavalier baby 3 weeks ago, she's now 5.5 months old and her name is Lyra (after the heroine from the His Dark Materials trilogy). She's doing pretty well, she's very attached to me, even from the beginning! Quite the change from my older dog, Cadence who is velcro, but loves everyone and will gladly say hi to strangers. Lyra is more reserved with strangers and dogs she's never met. She loves Cadence though, and will follow him around, and looks to him for guidance. He however, is still feeling really ambivalent about having her around... on one hand, he loves having someone to play with, but he's also really jealous of her. He growls at her sometimes when she comes near me, so we're working on that.

We've been having some potty troubles as well... in her previous home, she was trained to do her business on potty pads, but I am a fan of only letting the dogs do their business outside. She never did get a hang of pooping on the potty pads, and always pooped at random spots inside the house. I've been letting her outside a lot everyday just to let her pee/poop outside, but she's still 50/50 on pooping. She's been good about peeing outside. Any ideas on how to remedy this? (Been giving her praise and treats whenever she poops outside)

Anyway, here are some pictures of her!

From the breeder, at a couple of weeks & 8 weeks:

Lyra's in the middle.

On the right.

I love this photo.. she's the one with the eyes closed:

I always think it's like she's saying "pleaaasseee give me a home??"

Playing with her "brother", Cadence the Papillon:

Sleeping on my bed.

Token shot of Cadence, because he was my first baby =)

Best shot of all:
    Last edited by lucidity; 17th October 2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

She is absolutely beautiful!
    I just love the one of her sleeping, she looks so peaceful.

Please keep the photos coming

Did you know we were originally going to get a papillon instead of our first cav?
    They are nice dogs

I don't really have any advice on the toileting isues, other than lots of praise. She will get there
    but someone else may have some handy tips.
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!! I can't wait till she grows out of the puppy "uglies", she's just really hairless right now, lol. Cadence looked pretty hairless and horrible too, during his puppy uglies.

Really?? Wow, you should get a Papillon someday. Although I love Cavaliers, Papillons are really my heart breed and I have to say that I'll always, always have a Pap in my life. They have such spunk! They're also so, so intelligent (sometimes not such a great thing when they outwit you, lol).

Apparently, a Papillon was used in the creation of Cavaliers... one of my Cav friends managed to dig up some old info and it seems that "Ann's Son" (the foundation dog for the Cavalier breed) had a Papillon sire. Interesting, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Good to see you here. Love the pictures of Lyra and Cadence...I have a different screen name here.....
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

She is adorable.

The next time she messes in the house, put the pooh outside. Maybe if she smells it, she will 'get it'. And of course lots of praise when she does go outside.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely little girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Hey! Good to see you here. Love the pictures of Lyra and Cadence...I have a different screen name here.....
    Hi!! Was hoping to see you around here somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    She is adorable.

The next time she messes in the house, put the pooh outside. Maybe if she smells it, she will 'get it'. And of course lots of praise when she does go outside.
    I'll try that next time. She's been good the past 4-5 days; no poop accidents in the house. She drinks a LOT of water though, so she pees in her crate sometimes when I'm out for more than 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by eg93 View Post
    What a lovely little girl.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

So adorable!!! I love these photos!!

With toileting, she will get there. You are doing everything right, it's just the puppy phase of it all. Claire's mum said what I did for Brooky...when she was young and went on the deck vs. the yard etc. I would take the pee or a little poo (just enough for the scent) and sort of rub it where I liked her to go. I think this helps a lot as my trainer mentioned it too. Potty-ing is just a learning curve, but then one day it's like "snap!" and they've got it! Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    So adorable!!! I love these photos!!

With toileting, she will get there. You are doing everything right, it's just the puppy phase of it all. Claire's mum said what I did for Brooky...when she was young and went on the deck vs. the yard etc. I would take the pee or a little poo (just enough for the scent) and sort of rub it where I liked her to go. I think this helps a lot as my trainer mentioned it too. Potty-ing is just a learning curve, but then one day it's like "snap!" and they've got it! Ha.
    Thanks!! Lyra's been doing better with the potty thing now.. She drinks a TON of water though, so she pees a whole lot!! If I'm out for more than 3 hours she usually can't hold it and will have an accident in her crate. I'm debating restricting her water intake, but I don't really like doing that... I think dogs should be able to drink however much they want. But it's really not helping her bladder, so we'll see!

It's been a good week! It's like Lyra's attention span just suddenly got MUCH longer and she's so much better at learning new things now. She now knows "sit", "down", and a short "stay". Huge improvement from when I first brought her home

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some new photos of Lyra... lots of her sleeping because that's the only time she won't charge the camera, lol. She will be 6 months in 5 days!

Look! Her fur is FINALLY getting longer and she's starting to grow out of the "uglies"