Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free DNA tests not being taken up. Notice from the Cavalier Club website

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the free tests are delayed, 48 is not too much to pay for a one-off test that will enable a breeder to say with confidence that their puppies will not have DE/CC or EFS.
    No, it's very good value.
    Sadly most cases of DE/CC are not compatible with life, and if testing can potentially avoid the loss of a puppy, then 48 is a very modest amount.

Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

All four girls details sent .I wonder if you get a reply and if you are advised about selection or not .
    Sins what made you say Rosie might be more use ,you have me baffled but thats not hard.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Because your Rosie's sire is from a top wholecolour kennel and he hasn't been very widely used at stud.
    Chances are that fewer cavaliers with that particular sire would be submitted and therefore be more likely to be useful to meet the criteria of having as many unique sires as possible in the study..if that makes sense?
    Poppy's sire is from another top wholecolour kennel and would have nearly sired double the number of litters than Rosies.He has a lot of offspring in the showring at the moment and is more likely to have some of those offspring submitted.
    No harm in offering..
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret and Sinead, do you think it would be worth me submitting Ollie for this, as you know the same Sire as Holly and Ivy but different Breeder for the Dam, (seems from you post Sins that Sire is already being submitted). Is this a swap kit that is sent and you do at home?
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Pam

After I submitted the girls last night I had a reply this morning asking me to nominate a first
    choice out of my four and also asked which club I belong to so they can attribute your dog to a geographical
    area and also if my girls are all entire .I answered all the questions and they responded that they have
    all been put down for the area of that club .
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Brian, I don`t actually belong to a Cavalier Club, so wonder if it matters.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't see the point at this stage.
    It seems more logical to allow UK breeders get first option on the testing as the test may be of value in their breeding programmes and they're only allowed to avail of one free test. I presume pet owners who are members of regional clubs would also have been contacted??
    Brian though, is in a very unique situation in having four cavaliers sired by four dogs from very well respected kennels with only one being used extensively at stud.
    *If* it's proving hard to make the numbers while keeping the diversity,his dogs could be useful.
    For me it seems easier for the owners of our dogs' sire to submit him and I know they have two younger sons and daughter of that dog at home also.
    For the purpose of the project,the bloodline is well covered.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sins, thanks for the explanation, did wonder, but thought it was worth asking if it would have helped. How are Holly and little Ivy doing?
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

They're good thanks!
    Both like Ollie..living life to the max!!
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Sins

Just for curiosity can you explain pls as my knowedge of breeding is postage stamp size.

"Brian though, is in a very unique situation in having four cavaliers sired by four dogs from very well respected kennels with only one being used extensively at stud"

I do know about Daisy's pedigree but haven't a clue about the others apart from Lily whose sire was Campanards Tribute To Sorata or Big Red ,Joan Pagans
    boy and I believe Joan is not well so my best wishes to her and my thanks for her help and guidance with Lily.And Rosies sire Rabymar Courageous Heart
    who seem to have a lot of heart and SM clear dogs in that line .I shall have to do some serious research for my own beneit and peace of mind .And Pops sire Korraines Disco Dancer was placed 2nd in a class in a Nothern Cavalier Club Show in Nov 2005 with a judge by the name of Maraget Carter ,I will have to tell Pops about that naughty lady placing her dad second .

Thanks Sins
    Brian M