• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating grass - any pros and cons?

Chloeinalbany

Hello all. This may well be a silly question, but I'll risk it anyway. What are the worst and good things for Cavaliers who eat grass regularly? Our Chloe seems to enjoy eating grass regularly, and nothing untoward happened so far. She is well fed, although she can a be a bit silly by not finishing what we give her (probably we give her too much - as she is tiny). I know Brian and others mentioned their girls and boys eat grass too, but any reassurance/experience from others are very much appreciated.
-
Chloe, 1 yr old Blenheim.

Great question...I wonder this answer too as Brooky is a lawn mower!

I would think the risk would be grass outside of your home that you do not know what is sprayed on it (pesticides, fertiliser, etc). Because Brooklyn kept eating grass on our walks (and I got nervous about what might be sprayed on the grass), I planted some cat grass in pots in the backyard for her to munch on (our garden has no grass laid down). She now munches on that all the time and gets her fix. I never spray anything on it, so I know it is safe. But she does eat a lot of it!!!

Great question...I wonder this answer too as Brooky is a lawn mower!

I would think the risk would be grass outside of your home that you do not know what is sprayed on it (pesticides, fertiliser, etc). Because Brooklyn kept eating grass on our walks (and I got nervous about what might be sprayed on the grass), I planted some cat grass in pots in the backyard for her to munch on (our garden has no grass laid down). She now munches on that all the time and gets her fix. I never spray anything on it, so I know it is safe. But she does eat a lot of it!!!

I agree with all of that. Little Joe, Bubbles and Holly P are all grass croppers. It's a good excuse for only strimming the 'lawn' :yuk: in the back garden twice every year. Joe crops grass before breakfast, being taken out, or before and after dinner, but the others aren't half as bad. None of them have ever come to harm cropping our own garden.

Totally agree with everything that has been said.
I always say my Harley wanted to be a sheep not a Cavalier. I only let him eat the grass where we train as I know nothing gets sprayed there or in our garden. He has to have a munch before breakfast and whenever he goes out in the garden. My only concern is if snails have been on the grass, they could get lung worm what is very harmful. He normally only eats the long tall grass so hopefully snails can’t get to that as it is too tall.

Hi

This is an old photo of Daisy which was taken when she used to eat loads of grass and you can see
the effect it had on her coat ,fortunately we weaned her off a grass diet before it was too late and
she became a lost sheep .:)

3163522715_c03e00f50a_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi

This is an old photo of Daisy which was taken when she used to eat loads of grass and you can see
the effect it had on her coat ,fortunately we weaned her off a grass diet before it was too late and
she bacame a lost sheep .:)

[/URL][/IMG]

:rotfl:

Or are you calling Daisy a Wolf in Sheeps clothing? :badgrin:

:rotfl:

Now THAT'S a warm coat!

While grass eating sometimes is the sign of tummy upset, a lot of dogs just like to eat grass when available generally. All mine like grass (Leo is my little holstein... :lol:) but if they search for it on a morning walk (which means small patches growing alongside walls as there are no front lawns in my inner city neighborhood) I know someone has a tummy upset and may have the runs...

Hi

[/URL][/IMG]

So, she's the black sheep of the family then?:badgrin:

Hi

[/URL][/IMG]

Oh my goodness, I was just laughing out loud for about 5 minutes and my husband came in wondering what was wrong with me! I showed him the picture and he was hysterical too. Brian, I love your cavvies!

I can't believe my eyes!!
It actually does exist...
It can only be a CAVALAMB...:biggrin:

Sins

Magic! This just cracks us up

This should be in the calendar for the next edition no doubt about it. Daisy does not look too impressed with how her hair has grown though, but what a photo. Cheers Brian this is absolutely why this forum is just the place to go to for both knowledge and fun. :p

I read in a dog magazine this summer (Dog Fancy?) that you can grow grass indoors for them and let them graze from the pot or clip it and add it to their food. It's good for them and they may crave it because they need it. There are probably organic wheat/barley/rye mixes and should be lightly covered with soil and damp until sprouted. I'm thinking of growing a patch in the yard. I need to keep her from grazing grass that has ticks, etc.

Two thoughts about dogs eating grass:

-- I've noticed that some dogs will seek out grass if they have an upset stomach. When we notice that, we prepare a slippery elm solution and give that to them a couple of times a day, orally with a syringe. Slippery elm is much more effective at calming the stomach, and it also ends their urge to eat the grass. Most well-kept lawns are treated with weed killers and pest controls, and it is not a good idea to encourage our dogs to eat it.

-- We occasionally grow a pot of organic barley or wheat sprouts for our dogs to eat. If your dog likes to eat grass. this is a far better option.

all this talk about a black sheep of the family and pot makes me wonder about you folks! lol lol

Bobby and Belle eat grass too, no harmful effects, and they only munch on long blades. They're two tri colours, and sometimes looking out the window at them graze in our garden, I imagine they're Holstein Freesian cows.

Cavalambs.............The new designer breed.

I can't believe my eyes!!
It actually does exist...
It can only be a CAVALAMB...:biggrin:

Sins

I have just caught up with this thread................. :badgrin:

Not sure it will catch on. Lovely head, but the coat looks as if it could be difficult to manage.

Love that photo Brian!

We were worried Tommy was turning into a CavaHEN but fortunately he didn't sprout any more feathers :-D

medium.jpg

We have a heard of cows too!! Many Cavaliers just seem to enjoy grass, mine eat different grasses at different times. From further reading I know they use it medicinally, they use a very coarse grass as a purgative.

I've heard they might eat grass sometimes because of a craving for chlorophyll. So maybe feeding them green veggies now and then could cut down on the grazing.

Back