Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Guilty

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your words of reassurance. It's amazing how these little cars just steal our hearts and change our lives!

I had tried giving him a kong the third or fourth day we had him home when my husband and I left for a half hour to run an errand. He had absolutely no interest in it at all and it sat in his crate/pen untouched. Based on your advice, I decided to give it a try again today while my cleaning lady was here running the vacuum cleaner -- a new sound for Bailey. Well, it's like nothing in the world existed for Bailey except for that kong! I'm excited I have a tool I can use to distract him as I leave!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    I do always just try to ignore her a bit, pick up some toys and act really non-chellant for the first 5 minutes when I get home so she feels the whole thing is a bit "ho-hum" vs. a big event. ....... when she was a puppy I was really careful about not indulging any 'me leaving/me coming back' excitement behavior to train her to be on her own better. I think it worked!
    I read about this type 'behavior training' years ago, I incorporated it with our current and previous dog, and yes it does work. I also make leaving the house a non-event for the dog. It seems to help with their separation anxiety. (but not mine.LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Piper is so attached to the hip with me. She cries every time I leave and I can hear her crying at the door when I walk through the garage to get to my car. She does not want me to go anywhere without her. I always feel guilty even though I don't crate her (now that she is pretty much potty trained) and there is a dog door in our house that gives her access to the back yard. It is sad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When we brought Jessie home at 7 weeks, we tried to puppy proof the house as best we could. Rather than a create, we used a pen
    type set up at night with his bed, food & water, toys, and the likes. We placed it in the family room and left the TV on for him.
    The first 2 nights he cried a tad, but once I got up and we had a cuddle, he happily settled down. By the third night, he had enough
    and decided to do a MacGyver and we woke up to him in our bedroom, crying beside the bed. I thought that perhaps I didn't catch the door
    on the pen properly, so placed him back in and cleaned up his wee spots he created on the way to the bedroom, only to discover him
    beside me again. I was dumbfounded how a tiny 7 week old pup, scaled a 50cm pen.

From that night, now Jessie happily sleeps in his designer bed in our bedroom, the little pampered twerp.
    I thought the pen was a great idea at the time, so he couldn't wander at night and hurt himself, but big mistake.
    I still feel guilty that he was distressed enough to scale over and could have hurt himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JessieAndMe View Post

From that night, now Jessie happily sleeps in his designer bed in our bedroom, the little pampered twerp.
    I thought the pen was a great idea at the time, so he couldn't wander at night and hurt himself, but big mistake.
    I still feel guilty that he was distressed enough to scale over and could have hurt himself.
    Too precious, that clever little puppy!