• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are Cavaliers averse to cold?

Fall has arrived here in Kentucky with a bang! It's been in the mid-80s up until a few days ago. With this cooler weather has come a snag in Dash's potty training.

He's been doing okay. He knows that outside is the place to potty. I don't think he's so sure that inside isn't also, though.

My question, though, is: Are Cavaliers at all averse to cold weather? It's been about 45-55 degrees here, and Dash wants none of it! It's cold and damp. He just wants to go back inside. And as soon as he gets inside, he relieves himself on my floor. He even fake peed yesterday so he could come in! (Squatted but there was no potty happening.) We can stand out there for 20 minutes and he'll just stand there, shaking and staring at me.

Is he just being a little rotten, or do you think he may need a sweater?

Mine definetly do not like the cold. Cambridge, 5 mos. doesn't have a lot of hair yet and when it is chilly, I wear a tee shirt on him in the house and a sweater when he goes out. Windsor ( now 19mos.) wore a sweater or coat outside all last winter.
If it's wet, cold, and/or raining....forget it! They'll hold it till they almost burst ( at least Windsor, Cambridge just goes in the house). I try to keep them confined to the kitchen till we accomplish a successfully "outside" on those days but doesn't always work.

Is he crate trained? If he is, you may try picking him up before you come in the house and putting him in his crate, then trying again a few minutes and repeat until he goes. Don't give him the opportunity to wee in YOUR part of the house, but give him the choice between going outside or going in HIS space. Just a thought. Rose can be grumpy about going out in the cold, too, but we do have her some "clothes" and this seems to help. She did have to figure out that she could go wee with it on, lol. This is what we are going to try if it's an issue this winter.

Difficult to generalise for a whole breed - my two go out coatless in all weathers and love the snow! But puppies have very thin fur - and individuals differ - so a sweater or a little coat you could pop on at the back door might help. If that helps your boy to go, a treat for doing his business will reinforce that the yard is the place to go.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS Having spent my school holidays as a child staying with my grandmother, where going to the toilet in the evening involved at trek into the garden with a torch to her outside privy, whatever the weather, Dash has my sympathy!!

Thanks to all the responses! I definitely do not envy him having to potty in the cold.

Think I'll have to invest in a little coat or sweater. I dread when the snow comes!

It's probably frowned upon, but we're training our little guy to use pet grass in our garage, which has been successful so far.
It's a large bricked garage that is attached to out house with access from our entrance area.

Having a new house and an awful clay mud in the section of garden we are yet to transform, it has been ideal for us.
We pick up after him and then pressure hose the area. It mostly began due to Jessie only associating outside with play, and not the toilet.
He would be too busy playing and exploring to go, and would hold it until we took him back inside.

Jessie is 3 months old now, and hates our cold tiles, especially first thing in the morning, but loves the air conditioning. Go figure.

We're 50 mi. south of you, and our Cavalier doesn't mind the cold. Remember how awful last winter was? and the one before? I started each out each winter with putting a coat on Sophie. At some point (very quickly I might add) I got lazy or forgot, and she has never had a problem with the cold. This year, I'm not even going to bother with the coat unless it's raining, because it'll keep her dry.

She'll be three y/o in a month. Sophie doesn't need a coat, but she likes the polar fleece cover I use on her crate. It keeps it from getting drafty. She's been going into it a lot since yesterday, now that he house is much cooler. (We actually had to turn the heat on last night, just to keep the house warm to 68°F....ugh)

An elderly dog can need something to help keep warm. Younger Cavaliers have enough fur that they'll be okay, especially in our climate. It's not Canada, even though we sometimes think it is. LOL

We can stand out there for 20 minutes and he'll just stand there, shaking and staring at me.
Instead of standing there, try walking (with a leash of course). The brisker the walk, the better. Moving around will keep him warm, and it might stimulate his bladder to go ahead and potty. And the brisk walk keeps us healthier, too.

Sometimes I can tell Nalu picks up on my reactions to the weather, or I'll actually try to influence her to wrap it up and stop dawdling because I'm freezing. She loves being outside even when she's cold, and a coat kept her from shivering when she was younger.

Nalu loves to be in the water too, and last year when she was only ten months old she swam the day before the lake froze.

We just had a lovely snowfall yesterday to welcome the first day of winter and Sophie had a blast running around in the snow yesterday and today! (14 weeks old)

We're in Kansas City and Forrest is not a fan of the cold (or rain!) He is 18 weeks now and is getting better, but in November he did the fake pee thing all the time just to come in...it cracked me up. When we put a sweater on him he is sooo much better, and just more content in general. I said I'd never put him in clothes, but it's definitely a necessity for us.

My Kirra loves the rain, wind and sometimes the snow. Although last year, the snow was so intense and clung to her legs (she looked as if she was wearing white snow boots). This was when she was not amused. Although (like a child) as soon as the snow had dried from her paws and legs, she wanted back out to play.

Back