• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please Help... Breeder Referral

awest15

Hello All
I'm on the search for a tri-color female which i was informed by a breeder today that might be hard becasue the majority of the breeders in florida have Blenheims. I don't mind traveling to neighboring states to pick up little girl "Sage". So if you know of any breeders who currently are planning on having a litter soon or that already have puppies then could you please shoot me a email or message. I'm requesting help becasue i really didn't do the reasearch i needed to do when i got my 1 1/2 year old blenheim boy Rotolo But lucky as of right now he's very healthy ( knock on wood). this time i want to do it right.

Thanks so much

Hi and welcome! :) Be sure to read through our guides to finding a puppy so you can make sure you see the needed health certs such as for MRIs and cardiologist certs for MVD. I would contact breeder Anne Eckersley and ask for a recommendation for a health-testing breeder in your region. They can be very hard to find. If anyone has suggestions remember to send them by PM rather than a public post. (y)

... I'm on the search for a tri-color female which i was informed by a breeder today that might be hard becasue the majority of the breeders in florida have Blenheims.

Hello, and welcome to our group. I live in Florida, and I am very fond of tricolors. I also know about most of the cavalier breeders in the state. I am wondering, however, what your reasons are for wanting a tricolor and also wanting a female.

the main reason i want a female is that because i read that cavaliers do better with the opposite sex when it's just two of them. When i was looking the first time around for a cavalier i really wanted a tri-color and then changed my mind and got a blenheim. So now I'm going to get a female this time. tri-colors are just so cute!!! I live in st. petersburg florida which is the tampa bay area, so do you know of any breeders in that area ?

the main reason i want a female is that because i read that cavaliers do better with the opposite sex when it's just two of them. When i was looking the first time around for a cavalier i really wanted a tri-color and then changed my mind and got a blenheim. So now I'm going to get a female this time. tri-colors are just so cute!!! I live in st. petersburg florida which is the tampa bay area, so do you know of any breeders in that area ?

I live in Orlando. Here are a few things I've learned about chosing between males and females and the four colors:

-- Overall, I've found the males more loving to their owners than the females.

-- Females are harder to get from reputable breeders, for a few different reasons, and particularly if you already have a male. So, I would not set my heart on only getting a female.

-- In our family (and we've had both sexes of cavaliers, for over 40 years), neutered males get along fine with each other. We've also had neutered and intact males together for many years, without any hostility or dominence problems among them.

-- Colors: We started out with the Blenheims, and we've come to love all four colors. We've had them all. I do not have a favorite anymore.

I would not focus on the Tampa Bay area or even on the State of Florida. Our two most recent cavaliers -- both females -- have come from Connecticut and Virginia. I suggest that you read this article on the web, about finding a cavalier breeder, and not rush into anything. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/breeders.htm#HOW_TO_FIND

I've read many articles like the one you posted, i've been looking at breeders and getting an idea of what i wanted in my next dog for the last year. i'm willing to wait for the right dog and work with a breeder to get what i want. I also have no problem looking out of florida, i've looked at breeders in texas and surrounding states. Why are breeders not willing to part with females? I have no interest in breeding and i only want a sweet little girl to come home to. I love our male cavalier rotolo but i'm not sure why i have my heart set on a female but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with another male. Thanks for the tip of looking at breeders in VA because i had another person tell me to look in that area as well.

I've read many articles like the one you posted, i've been looking at breeders and getting an idea of what i wanted in my next dog for the last year. i'm willing to wait for the right dog and work with a breeder to get what i want. I also have no problem looking out of florida, i've looked at breeders in texas and surrounding states. Why are breeders not willing to part with females? I have no interest in breeding and i only want a sweet little girl to come home to. I love our male cavalier rotolo but i'm not sure why i have my heart set on a female but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with another male. Thanks for the tip of looking at breeders in VA because i had another person tell me to look in that area as well.

I agree with the idea of looking outside just Florida. Perhaps somewhere you can still visit to meet their dogs before committing to buying a puppy from them.

Females are generally harder to find because breeders are more inclined to keep females for their breeding program as opposed to males. I know of many breeders who are more willing to keep a female pup for show/breeding or to export/sell to another kennel for show/breeding as well. They are quite reluctant usually, to place a female pup in a pet home as they will have to be spayed. The exceptions are usually if the female puppy has a mismark or isn't show quality--these will be petted out.

Also, because Cavalier litters are generally small, most of the time there will be only 1-2 females and if the breeder keeps 1, there will only be 1 left to be petted out or sold to a fellow breeder for showing. So if you're set on having a female, you might have to be placed on a waiting list and may have to wait quite a while for one, depending on how often the breeder you pick breeds their dogs.

I missed this post until just now. Lucidity nailed it about female puppies. I would not waste time limiting my choice to a female, unless you are willing to take a retired breeding bitch.

I think a good way to get started is to go to a cavalier specialty show (which means not an AKC all-breed show). Unfortunately, there are few to none CKCS speciatly shows in Florida. But if you can wait unitl December, the AKC Eukanuba show is set for Orlando this year, and the Mid-Florida CKCS Club expects to sponsor a CKSC show in connection with it, at the Orange County Convention Center.

The reason these shows are better for puppy-seekers is that the cavalier breeders tend to stick around after they show, somewhat like a "benched" show, plus the fact that there likely will be more of them than at a typical AKC all-breed show. So, you can meet them, see their show dogs, and maybe even get some of them to befriend you and help you out.

The best shows for meeting breeders and getting questions answered are those sponsored by the CKCSC,USA. All of their shows are cavaliers-only and go on for three days in a row, over a weekend. The next one of these shows held nearest to Florida will be in Atlanta in May 2012. There will be one in Irving, Texas in February.

Back