• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Cavaliers like to splash in a pool?

Alana

I am getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for Christmas, and as it is very hot in Sydney until the middle of March I was thinking of getting a splash pool/shell for my puppy. Just wondering if they generally love or hate water or if it is more an individual thing.

Hi Alana, I am from Sydney too!! Where snouts are you? I am on the northern beaches.

Shell polls are a wonderful idea, my Brooklyn uses one in the summer heat...but only when I am around to watch and play with her. Never leave a Cav unattended with a pool even if it is only full an inch or two (or a few cm, ha, I am originally from the US!). Also, Brooklyn loves a sprinkler and some play with the hose (she chases it). I found with mine though, that water was something we had to ease into (giving treats while in it, etc)...so dont expect a swimming pup that wants to get in right away like a lab would. Just on Brooklyns 1st birthday this week, she went full on swimming in the harbor! So, it does take a bit with some.

I got Brooky last December, it was such a joy. I look forward to seeing pics soon!!

We have a clam shell pool for our cav Kokoda. He LOVES it!
Our previous dog loved it too, I bought one after we got back from a walk and he sat in his water bowl!
Brisbane summers can get hot!

I would say he would love it if you introduce him to it from a young age :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the well wishes! I am from the Hills area. Brooklyn's mum, coming from the Northern Beaches, do you know of any dog friendly beaches? I want to take my dog to a lot of places, I am so excited! I got married and moved out of home 2 years ago and my parents have a lab x spaniel that I adore and I have taken him to the beach and Cafe Bones and we have so much fun. When I get my own puppy (and a few months after that) I want to take him/her places, AND I love the beach. It is very confusing when you look for websites about dog friendly beaches. Some list a few and others say "There is only one beach that is dog friendly, and that is 'sirius cove' so it would be good to get some solid information.

Thank you for the tips about the splash pool. I will get one. I will introduce it slowly like you said.

I think it's an individual thing. Some do and some don't. But if you can introduce the water, gently, early in the cavalier's life, I think you'll have a better chance that the dog will enjoy it.

Florida dog

Barkleigh has a pool and a bay and prefers to stay dry or just cool off on the top step. He loves to run on a beach, chase birds, a dabble with waves. No big soakings, thank you very much.

My Cavaliers hate the rain and don't like getting their feet wet. If we take them to the beach Dougall loves a paddle but won't get too wet, Dotty will follow him because she thinks she is a sheep! No chance with Molly she hates getting wet!

Good morning fellow Aussies. I'm in Melbourne cl*p
Jessie hates bath time, but likes the hose, drinking straight from the spray gun, chasing the water as I water the garden.
I suggested the exact same idea to hubby the other day, buying Jessie a kiddies clam pool.

We had a few 28 degree days during the week and being semi rural where I am, the heat becomes quite dry.
Jessie loved the air conditioner. He walked from room to room trying to find where the vents were blowing down the cool
air and sitting right underneath it.
In summer, does anyone have any advice for cool treats you can feed a pup? Even water based fruits.

I've heard several in here talk about cooling vests and cooling beds for hot weather.

We bought a clam pool for Claire, but she basically just stands in it and looks at you like you are nuts for putting her in it.

As for the summer, 'cool' foods, Kokoda LOVES ice cubes, he fishes fo rthem in his water bowl. Takes them out and puts them back in.
He looks for them once thy've melted!

Try and see if your dog likes watermelon, Kokoda loves small cubes of it. Its healthy and cool if you keep it in the fridge.
You can also try freezing carrots. I ahve never done this, but have heard about it.

Back