• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cat Collar for a Puppy

Portia

Hi Everyone. I wanted to get your input on an idea I had... At 12 weeks old, Bailey is still very small. We have a regular dog collar by Earth Soy that I love because it is so soft (almost cashmere soft) and light-weight, but it looks so thick and heavy on his little neck. It's 5/8" wide, which seems to be pretty standard for the neck size he needs. So, I haven't been able to find any other dog collars that are thinner.

As a result, the idea of using a cat collar instead popped into mind. They're thinner and any bells it might have would be easy to remove. What's more, I kinda like the idea of it being a break-away collar since a lead will never be attached to it and we know how delicate cavs' necks are. If he happened to run away or get lost (God forbid!) and the collar breaks-away, he's micro-chipped so we'd still be able to find him.

What do you all think?

Guinness wore a cat collar as a puppy for the same reason. As I recall there was something about it I didn't like, but I can't recall what it was.
Edit: I just remembered, the collar was only meant for the bell (which I ripped off), it didn't have a place to attach tags.

For Thistle I just put the tags on her harness, and no collar at all.

Last edited:
We bought a puppy collar. Ebay have a wide range of different styles, but I found the thin woven ones with the little
click together buckle were the best. The are really cheap, which is a good thing with Jessie, as he hated his collar at first and would
scratch and scratch at it, making it all furry. I can't wait until I'm able to put his little leather stud collar on.

We just had a tiny collar for Kokoda. They usually have really small puppy collars in the shops.
But there were no nice ones so we just bought a small, thin, nylon collar with a metal buckle (and the holes)
and just put an extra hole in the end so it wasn't too loose. If you get one of the adjusting one with the clips they might not be small enough.

Also, we have one of those collars for our cat and it always falls of when he plays. So possibly not suitable for a pupy.

Back