Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Breeders Are Always Right!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Breeders Are Always Right!

    Over the past decade-plus, I've exchanged many exchanges with several very well known cavalier breeders who insist that they know a lot more about cavaliers than I do simply because each of them is a breeder and I'm not. It is as if some holier-than-thou spirit descends upon those when they bring two purebreds together for the first time, and unless and until I do the same, I'll never share in the wisdom that spirit imparts to the chosen ones.

    This logic(?) has enabled these breeders to contend that they not only know more than I do about cavaliers, but that they also know much, much more than researchers do about the genetic health of the breed. Thus, they entitle themselves to ignore such things as the MVD and SM breeding guidelines and even to deny realities, such as the extent that the breed is affected by CM and SM.

    Well, there is a great example of the idiocy of certain breeders' mindsets on the Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog. Granted, the subject is the American Cocker spaniel (ACS), but there is a chronological series of photos of that breed, showing how distorted its champions (and thus, presumably, its breed standard) have become over the years. See http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....up-cocker.html

    If the ACS breeders are so smart, how did they let this happen?
    Rod Russell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    It is as if some holier-than-thou spirit descends upon those when they bring two purebreds together for the first time, and unless and until I do the same, I'll never share in the wisdom that spirit imparts to the chosen ones.



    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post

    This logic(?) has enabled these breeders to contend that they not only know more than I do about cavaliers, but that they also know much, much more than researchers do about the genetic health of the breed. Thus, they entitle themselves to ignore such things as the MVD and SM breeding guidelines and even to deny realities, such as the extent that the breed is affected by CM and SM..


    Seriously Rod, the dog show breeding world is like a self contained sect, a cult, where they do not question what they are told by their leaders.
    When someone from outside questions the commonsense of what they are doing, they are amazed and offended.


    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Well, there is a great example of the idiocy of certain breeders' mindsets on the Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog. Granted, the subject is the American Cocker spaniel (ACS), but there is a chronological series of photos of that breed, showing how distorted its champions (and thus, presumably, its breed standard) have become over the years. See http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....up-cocker.html

    If the ACS breeders are so smart, how did they let this happen?
    Really interesting blog. Those pictures really tell the tale.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very interesting reading indeed. Another example of how human interference has "improved" a breed... at least in the breeders eyes of these poor little dogs.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Here is another graphic example of the inate intelligence gained only by those who become purebred breeders. Far be it for non-breeders to question their supreme judgment in matters of breed standard and genetic health of their breeds.
    http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot....l#comment-form
    Rod Russell

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •