• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breeders Are Always Right!

RodRussell

Over the past decade-plus, I've exchanged many exchanges with several very well known cavalier breeders who insist that they know a lot more about cavaliers than I do simply because each of them is a breeder and I'm not. It is as if some holier-than-thou spirit descends upon those when they bring two purebreds together for the first time, and unless and until I do the same, I'll never share in the wisdom that spirit imparts to the chosen ones.

This logic(?) has enabled these breeders to contend that they not only know more than I do about cavaliers, but that they also know much, much more than researchers do about the genetic health of the breed. Thus, they entitle themselves to ignore such things as the MVD and SM breeding guidelines and even to deny realities, such as the extent that the breed is affected by CM and SM.

Well, there is a great example of the idiocy of certain breeders' mindsets on the Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog. Granted, the subject is the American Cocker spaniel (ACS), but there is a chronological series of photos of that breed, showing how distorted its champions (and thus, presumably, its breed standard) have become over the years. See http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-yanks-cocked-up-cocker.html

If the ACS breeders are so smart, how did they let this happen?

It is as if some holier-than-thou spirit descends upon those when they bring two purebreds together for the first time, and unless and until I do the same, I'll never share in the wisdom that spirit imparts to the chosen ones.

:badgrin: :badgrin:

This logic(?) has enabled these breeders to contend that they not only know more than I do about cavaliers, but that they also know much, much more than researchers do about the genetic health of the breed. Thus, they entitle themselves to ignore such things as the MVD and SM breeding guidelines and even to deny realities, such as the extent that the breed is affected by CM and SM..

Seriously Rod, the dog show breeding world is like a self contained sect, a cult, where they do not question what they are told by their leaders.
When someone from outside questions the commonsense of what they are doing, they are amazed and offended.

Well, there is a great example of the idiocy of certain breeders' mindsets on the Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog. Granted, the subject is the American Cocker spaniel (ACS), but there is a chronological series of photos of that breed, showing how distorted its champions (and thus, presumably, its breed standard) have become over the years. See http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-yanks-cocked-up-cocker.html

If the ACS breeders are so smart, how did they let this happen?

Really interesting blog. Those pictures really tell the tale.

Very interesting reading indeed. Another example of how human interference has "improved" a breed... at least in the breeders eyes of these poor little dogs.

Back