• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy underbite

lucidity

I wasn't very sure where to post this question... so I decided to post here.

Lyra has a slight underbite. She is almost 6 months old and has pretty much all of her adult teeth in already. I'm wondering if it's still possible that the underbite will correct itself with time? Or do you think she'll always have it?

Do many Cavaliers have underbites? I looked over the breed standard and it says that they should have a perfect scissor bite, but many Cavaliers I've met had underbites--some pretty severe.

This is the only picture I could find that you can kind of see her underbite--sorry, it's a very unflattering picture of her, haha.

313575_1000943484281_21006300_47039703_971834077_n.jpg

Well, I think the big thing is that since Lyra is your pet, what is "breed standard" in the show ring is sort of irrelevant and I would say an underbite it no issue (unless you vet thinks it is affecting her teeth/health in any way). I am a firm believer (unless you are breeding or showing, etc) that if you pup is 'not quite right/perfect' than who cares, as long as it does not affect their health in anyway, no biggie. Think of all the dogs in shelters that are not "breed standard" (by any means ha!), and they don't make less of a pet in any way. So I say, Oh well...she is cute!!

On another note though, Brooky had a slight underbite that the vet pointed out to me ages ago, she showed me an I asked if it would affect her teeth/jaw in any way and my vet said no, so I forgot about it. But then your post reminded me so I went to check her mouth again...It is gone :confused: I mean, it is not a perfect line up, but her bottom teeth are just now behind the top. Hummm, I wonder if they do move on their own??

Either way, as long as it does not affect Lyra, you are just fine to admire her cute little underbite all you want :smile:

Well, I think the big thing is that since Lyra is your pet, what is "breed standard" in the show ring is sort of irrelevant and I would say an underbite it no issue (unless you vet thinks it is affecting her teeth/health in any way). I am a firm believer (unless you are breeding or showing, etc) that if you pup is 'not quite right/perfect' than who cares, as long as it does not affect their health in anyway, no biggie. Think of all the dogs in shelters that are not "breed standard" (by any means ha!), and they don't make less of a pet in any way. So I say, Oh well...she is cute!!

On another note though, Brooky had a slight underbite that the vet pointed out to me ages ago, she showed me an I asked if it would affect her teeth/jaw in any way and my vet said no, so I forgot about it. But then your post reminded me so I went to check her mouth again...It is gone :confused: I mean, it is not a perfect line up, but her bottom teeth are just now behind the top. Hummm, I wonder if they do move on their own??

Either way, as long as it does not affect Lyra, you are just fine to admire her cute little underbite all you want :smile:

Lol, it doesn't bother me, but I was wondering.. because she was supposed to be exported and shown/titled in another country, but that fell through and she was sold to a pet home instead. So I'm wondering how she could have been shown and titled if she has an underbite (which is a fault, I think)?

I notice that she has a harder time picking up stuff (toys, leaves, sticks, etc.) from the ground than my Papillon, who has a regular scissor bite. Wonder if it's because of her underbite?

Do you remember how old Brooklyn was when your vet noticed her underbite? I've read somewhere that sometimes puppies start off with underbites but when they get their adult teeth it corrects itself.. Hmm... interesting to know that your Brooklyn's jaws corrected themselves! My vet also said that it's nothing to worry about, unless it starts bothering her while she eats, etc. Haha, I do look at her teeth a lot! Her underbite isn't noticeable unless I open her mouth, then it's pretty obvious.

Ha, yeah, I am all up in Brooklyns teeth all time too!! Thank goodness she is so patient about me brushing and poking and prodding.

I first noticed Brookys underbite when the vet showed me when she was about 4 months old. Then I forgot until I just looked now :)

When Brooky was really young, she had a hard time picking up things too, but that went away as she got older...just growing paw and mouth coordination for her at that stage. Might be the same for your little one? Maybe :)

I reckon there's a good chance that it could correct itself.
There's plenty of time yet,just wait and see.
She's very pretty!
Sins

Ha, yeah, I am all up in Brooklyns teeth all time too!! Thank goodness she is so patient about me brushing and poking and prodding.

I first noticed Brookys underbite when the vet showed me when she was about 4 months old. Then I forgot until I just looked now :)

When Brooky was really young, she had a hard time picking up things too, but that went away as she got older...just growing paw and mouth coordination for her at that stage. Might be the same for your little one? Maybe :)

Haha, that reminds me.. I'm going to have to desensitize Lyra to the toothbrush soon, since her adult teeth are finally all in. NOT looking forward to that! Cadece (my Papillon) absolutely HATED it and it took me ages to get him to let me brush his teeth.

Ah, okay, hmm 4 months.. that's not too far off from Lyra's age I guess. I hope it's just the coordination thing! She even has a hard time picking up treats from the floor or from my hand sometimes.

I reckon there's a good chance that it could correct itself.
There's plenty of time yet,just wait and see.
She's very pretty!
Sins

I hope so! I dunno if it's my imagination, but I just checked her mouth again and it seems like her underbite is slightly better now than when I first brought her home.

Thanks by the way! :D I think she's very pretty too.

It is not unusual for a puppy to have an underbite ( or as we usually say here in the UK an undershot mouth)

If slightly undershot at 6 months it may well come right. I had an undershot puppy that eventually ended with his bottom teeth just level with the top teeth when he was eighteen months old.

He was a very nice dog & I showed him at Championship shows. He sometimes won his class ( and he was awarded a reserve CC ) Other times he got thrown out.

Judging is all about weighing up the faults and virtues of the individual dogs. How well we did on any one day very much depended on whether that particular judge felt a completely correct bite was more important than good conformation & movement.

I think it's very endearing. My little guy also has one, but I've never been concerned with it. He's three months old.

Lyra is a gorgeous looking young lady :l*v:

Sonny has an under bite too. He is 18 weeks old now and the vet pointed it out to me last time we were there when he was 16 weeks. I have never noticed his under bite, but I guess it's there. :)

Lyra is so adorable!!!!

My understanding ( and I'm no way as experienced as others on here) is that an underbite may come right as the dog grows, but an overbite (which is what my Pippin has) never correct itself.

Having dealt with Pippin's overbite I've found that his top front teeth stain more easily because he doesn't get a smuch saliva or lick around them with his tongue as much as the others. I'm not sure if you'd experience the same with an underbite? My advice would be, though, to get Lyra used to having her teeth cleaned as soon as possible and do this religiously ever day. If you want a really good example of dental care for cavaliers search the past threads on tooth cleaning and find posts by Brian, if ever I come back as a Cavalier I want to be owned by him!(y)

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll keep checking Lyra's teeth as she grows to see whether or not the underbite corrects itself in the future.

By the way, I've also been meaning to ask.. (I didn't wanna create a separate thread and clog up the forum with my threads, lol) Can you guys estimate how much Lyra would probably weigh when she's full grown? She got weighed in at the vet's a couple of days ago. She was 9lbs/4.1kg. She is 6 months old in a couple of days. At 4 months old she weighed 7lbs/3.3kg.

Back