Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratchy nails!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scratchy nails!

Ouch! Brooky nails really scratch!!

Any ideas to help this?? We trim them, so they are all trimmed up, but they just really scratch if she jumps on your legs or you in any way, almost as if they are sharp

I know for humans, we file our nails to be smooth...what do we do for a dog? I am talking abnormally sharp, people always make comments that her scratches really hurt even thought she is actually "paw-ing" quite soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you clip her nails or use a dremel? From what I know, if you dremel, the nails will come out smooth and there won't be any jagged edges that can scratch.

I however use clippers because I don't own a dremel, and also because I don't have the guts to use a dremel, LOL. What I do is I clip the dogs' nails, and then bring them out for a walk right after (walking on pavement instead of grass) and that's usually good enough to get the sharp edges off. I guess some jogging on pavement would work as well.

I think it's also possible to use a regular human nail file on your Brooklyn's nails..... if she cooperates and lets you do it, that is,

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I don't even know what a dremel is! We just clip them...well, our groomer does when she needs it, which is not very often because they are usually really filed down from the pavement. That's the thing, they do get "filed" I guess on the pavement during our walks, but her nails are still so sharp and scratchy.

Hummmm....

On a side note, Brooklyn is not the best at letting me play with her paws unless she is dog tired (ha), so I don't know how well she would go with a real file. I could try!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Gosh, I don't even know what a dremel is! We just clip them...well, our groomer does when she needs it, which is not very often because they are usually really filed down from the pavement. That's the thing, they do get "filed" I guess on the pavement during our walks, but her nails are still so sharp and scratchy.

Hummmm....

On a side note, Brooklyn is not the best at letting me play with her paws unless she is dog tired (ha), so I don't know how well she would go with a real file. I could try!
    Do you know if your groomer uses clippers or a dremel? As far as I know, most groomers use dremels as they are faster and apparently more dogs tolerate it better. This is a dremel btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel There are some brands that are manufactured specifically for trimming pets' nails, but those are usually lower powered and don't work very well for larger breeds.

LOL same here! Lyra is not a fan of me messing with her feet... well, one more thing to get her used to I guess!

Post Thanks / Like

I won't use a Dremel or similar with Claire because of her feathered feet. I'd be afraid of her hair getting caught in it.

I take Claire to have her nails clipped about every 6 weeks. I know if I get a good groomer, they can cut them in such a way that they aren't sharp. And some do use a heavy metal file for rough edges. I complained the one time I had Claires nails done about them being sharp, and said I would pay more if necessary to have them be smooth. Since then they have done an excellent job.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    I won't use a Dremel or similar with Claire because of her feathered feet. I'd be afraid of her hair getting caught in it.

I take Claire to have her nails clipped about every 6 weeks. I know if I get a good groomer, they can cut them in such a way that they aren't sharp. And some do use a heavy metal file for rough edges. I complained the one time I had Claires nails done about them being sharp, and said I would pay more if necessary to have them be smooth. Since then they have done an excellent job.
    Good point about the feathered feet! I have never seen a Dremel before until this thread...I will ask my groomer next time and tell her how scratchy they are and see how we go

Post Thanks / Like

Groomers usually use special "socks" to help with the feathering. Here's an excellent article on dremelling (and also general grooming): http://www.hollyhuxford.com/PapillonGrooming.htm

It's however, for Papillons (sorry, I've just had a Papillon for a much longer time and have more Pap owner friends I've met through the years ) Paps and Cavaliers have similar feathering on their feet, though, so I imagine what works for a Pap will work for a Cav as well.

I love that site though, because everything is explained very clearly with pictures that you can zoom into and stuff. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

As you may, or may not know, I am a trained dog groomer and occasionally still groom dogs.
    The dremel is great and most dogs will tolerate it. However if the nails are long, just clip them first and smooth the edges.
    Holding the dremel on the nail for more than 5 seconds will cause it to get uncomfortably hot. You pretty much just want to touch it once or twice.

As for the feathering, if you just get some womens stockings, you can put it over their leg and push their nails thorugh it.
    A cheap, easy and effective way of keeping hair out of the way!
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great tip. But I will stick with the groomer doing it as I botched Claires nails really bad at Christmas.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denali View Post
    As you may, or may not know, I am a trained dog groomer and occasionally still groom dogs.
    The dremel is great and most dogs will tolerate it. However if the nails are long, just clip them first and smooth the edges.
    Holding the dremel on the nail for more than 5 seconds will cause it to get uncomfortably hot. You pretty much just want to touch it once or twice.

As for the feathering, if you just get some womens stockings, you can put it over their leg and push their nails thorugh it.
    A cheap, easy and effective way of keeping hair out of the way!
    Oh wow, that's a great tip- THANKS! I always dremelled our boxer's nails, and while I clip Rose's, I would like to get those edges off! Ouch!