• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scratchy nails!

BrooklynMom

Ouch! Brooky nails really scratch!!

Any ideas to help this?? We trim them, so they are all trimmed up, but they just really scratch if she jumps on your legs or you in any way, almost as if they are sharp :rolleyes:

I know for humans, we file our nails to be smooth...what do we do for a dog? I am talking abnormally sharp, people always make comments that her scratches really hurt even thought she is actually "paw-ing" quite soft.

Do you clip her nails or use a dremel? From what I know, if you dremel, the nails will come out smooth and there won't be any jagged edges that can scratch.

I however use clippers because I don't own a dremel, and also because I don't have the guts to use a dremel, LOL. What I do is I clip the dogs' nails, and then bring them out for a walk right after (walking on pavement instead of grass) and that's usually good enough to get the sharp edges off. I guess some jogging on pavement would work as well.

I think it's also possible to use a regular human nail file on your Brooklyn's nails..... if she cooperates and lets you do it, that is, ;)

Gosh, I don't even know what a dremel is! We just clip them...well, our groomer does when she needs it, which is not very often because they are usually really filed down from the pavement. That's the thing, they do get "filed" I guess on the pavement during our walks, but her nails are still so sharp and scratchy.

Hummmm....

On a side note, Brooklyn is not the best at letting me play with her paws unless she is dog tired (ha), so I don't know how well she would go with a real file. I could try!

Gosh, I don't even know what a dremel is! We just clip them...well, our groomer does when she needs it, which is not very often because they are usually really filed down from the pavement. That's the thing, they do get "filed" I guess on the pavement during our walks, but her nails are still so sharp and scratchy.

Hummmm....

On a side note, Brooklyn is not the best at letting me play with her paws unless she is dog tired (ha), so I don't know how well she would go with a real file. I could try!

Do you know if your groomer uses clippers or a dremel? As far as I know, most groomers use dremels as they are faster and apparently more dogs tolerate it better. This is a dremel btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel There are some brands that are manufactured specifically for trimming pets' nails, but those are usually lower powered and don't work very well for larger breeds.

LOL same here! Lyra is not a fan of me messing with her feet... well, one more thing to get her used to I guess!

I won't use a Dremel or similar with Claire because of her feathered feet. I'd be afraid of her hair getting caught in it.

I take Claire to have her nails clipped about every 6 weeks. I know if I get a good groomer, they can cut them in such a way that they aren't sharp. And some do use a heavy metal file for rough edges. I complained the one time I had Claires nails done about them being sharp, and said I would pay more if necessary to have them be smooth. Since then they have done an excellent job.

I won't use a Dremel or similar with Claire because of her feathered feet. I'd be afraid of her hair getting caught in it.

I take Claire to have her nails clipped about every 6 weeks. I know if I get a good groomer, they can cut them in such a way that they aren't sharp. And some do use a heavy metal file for rough edges. I complained the one time I had Claires nails done about them being sharp, and said I would pay more if necessary to have them be smooth. Since then they have done an excellent job.

Good point about the feathered feet! I have never seen a Dremel before until this thread...I will ask my groomer next time and tell her how scratchy they are and see how we go :)

Groomers usually use special "socks" to help with the feathering. Here's an excellent article on dremelling (and also general grooming): http://www.hollyhuxford.com/PapillonGrooming.htm

It's however, for Papillons (sorry, I've just had a Papillon for a much longer time and have more Pap owner friends I've met through the years :) ) Paps and Cavaliers have similar feathering on their feet, though, so I imagine what works for a Pap will work for a Cav as well.

I love that site though, because everything is explained very clearly with pictures that you can zoom into and stuff. :) Hope that helps!

As you may, or may not know, I am a trained dog groomer and occasionally still groom dogs.
The dremel is great and most dogs will tolerate it. However if the nails are long, just clip them first and smooth the edges.
Holding the dremel on the nail for more than 5 seconds will cause it to get uncomfortably hot. You pretty much just want to touch it once or twice.

As for the feathering, if you just get some womens stockings, you can put it over their leg and push their nails thorugh it.
A cheap, easy and effective way of keeping hair out of the way!

As you may, or may not know, I am a trained dog groomer and occasionally still groom dogs.
The dremel is great and most dogs will tolerate it. However if the nails are long, just clip them first and smooth the edges.
Holding the dremel on the nail for more than 5 seconds will cause it to get uncomfortably hot. You pretty much just want to touch it once or twice.

As for the feathering, if you just get some womens stockings, you can put it over their leg and push their nails thorugh it.
A cheap, easy and effective way of keeping hair out of the way!

Oh wow, that's a great tip- THANKS! I always dremelled our boxer's nails, and while I clip Rose's, I would like to get those edges off! Ouch!

No problems, i am happy to share :)
I know! They can be so scratchy after being cut...
Before I came up with that trick, I never dremeled dogs with long hair.
I have always been too scared. Now it is problem free!

That's what I LOVE about forums, you learn some of the greatest stuff. Maybe someday I will try Claires nails again myself. But right now I'm only paying $4 and it's well worth it. So I leave it to the experts.

Great tips all around! Now thinking of a dremel... Jaspar absolutely will not let me do his nails (no one else minds, cats or dogs). And unfortunately he is the only dog who gets really long nails too despite pavement walks every day and his nails are like daggers! Really appreciate the suggestions on this thread. :)

Cousin Jaspar also has inherited the "Claws of Doom".
Daisy's were a disgrace today...It took ages to trim them back.Thankfully she didn't put up much of a fight,she was half asleep after being under the blaster.It's much easier to do the nails after a bath as they're a lot softer.
http://
Sins

Thank you all so much! These tips are great...sometimes I wonder what kind of dog owner I would have ended up as had it not been for CT!!

My two are not always happy getting their nails clipped, so I sometimes use a file instead. I got mine from eBay UK, where they're often available at bargain prices.

I believe they also do a battery operated file too.

Rosemary

Back