• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting into Agility

eg93

Hey guys. Piper is 9 months now. I wanted to begin some early training for agility and was wondering where to start? Obviously since she is so young and still growing I don't want her doing anything hardcore but would like to start introducing the idea to her. She is very fast and loves to chase me so we have been doing a lot of that. ;) Any suggestions?

Hi there!

I have an 8 month old Cavalier that is 'in training' for agility!
Currently I am doing a class at our agility club but we aren't doing any form of obstacle training yet.
We are just working on recalls, stays, etc. the basic obedience of it.
We are also working on loose lead walking, but i don't think that has anything to do with agility. But it gives you a dog that at least 'looks' well behaved!

We are working on 'shaping' behaviours with the use of positive reinforcement and clickers.

Does your dog tug? Try and get your dog to tug with you. But make sure, when you have had enough, or she is too rough that you make her drop it, sit and wait until you say you can play again. I have been told it is good to practice commands during play :)

That is pretty mcuh all i can say, as we havn't started the 'actual' agility bits yet so I don't know how they introdcue them to things.

There's lots you can do with a puppy to prepare them for agility, things I wish I'd known about earlier.

You can teach her left and right by teaching her to circle that way, intially with a treat to follow in the circle and then gradually (as she gets the hang of it) fade the treat in the hand out untilshe is circling left (or right) on command. Then put a couple of markers (cones or jump wings if you have access to some) and send her through in a straight line (teaching her to go forward or "go on"), then to the left and to the right. Teach her to work to a toy, or a pot with treats in, whichever will motivate her. So place the pot / toy where you want her to go and send her to it. Don't forget to reward her every time she gets it right. If you have a clicker you can use this to mark the desired behaviour equally well for agility as obedience.

Look at Sylvia Trikman's website, she's a top agility handler and has some great training tips on her website.

Good luck and enjoy.

Back