• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tv3 programme on irish puppy farms!

Oh dear, this is very difficult to watch, makes me so mad and sad at the same time :mad::cry*ing:
There was such a sweet little cavalier in there too. I just don't understand some people's mentality :-?:-?

Oh dear, this is very difficult to watch, makes me so mad and sad at the same time :mad::cry*ing:
There was such a sweet little cavalier in there too. I just don't understand some people's mentality :-?:-?

I have this recorded, I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it though. :mad:

I watched it last night and it was truly awful. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I just kept looking at my little Tilly- an ex puppy farm brood bitch and could not bear to think what her life was like while she was there. Appalling. Does anyone know if the legislation is any nearer to being passed?

Good question. I will put in a formal question to the dept and see. Problem is Fine Gael vowed to block/reverse elements if they got into government :mad:. Raise it and their support of the cruel sport of carted stag hunting the next time one of their party people are going door to door.

Apparently nothing can be done until the Welfare of Greyhounds Bill is passed by the Oireachtas first. We can email the minister to ask him to speed things up . It's [email protected]
Nothing to be lost by emailing our own TD's too.

That's interesting that they are saying that the greyhound bill needs to go through 1st. :confused: That wasn't the case in the previous government, under the legislation as it was proposed. There was always a lot of concern that the bill would be watered down for the greyhound industry, which has claimed that it already is under welfare scrutiny (which is hardly the case–some of the worst welfare cases that come in are from racing greyhounds that have been abandoned and had their ears cut off because their ears are tattooed with their identity marks to the racing board). The industry is also very vague on what happens to the thousands and thousands of puppies that are not considered suitable for racing and seem to magically disappear. Greyhounds make up one of the largest groups of purebred dogs that get put down in pounds–and that is even before taking into consideration what is done privately. :(

If the government is now saying they have to bring in a greyhound bill 1st, then they have apparently already begun to alter the legislation as it was written. I am also told that most likely, the entire process now needs to start over again anyway as the minister has not seemed to indicate he is willing to sign in legislation that had actually already been passed. Nor was the outgoing minister willing to sign it. It is utterly exasperating for the people who've spent years working towards that legislation and put in consultation documents, responded to drafts of legislation, and so on. Meanwhile our massive puppy farm industry, which battery farms dogs, continues on with less scrutiny than the average pet owner.:mad:

These are all good issues about which to put pressure on Labour politicians in particular. They are supposed to be pro-animal welfare even though they waffled about regarding the dog breeding/puppy farm bill when in opposition, scenting that they might not get the votes to put them into a coalition government if they didn't go after a certain portion of the rural vote that opposes having these kinds of activity under any scrutiny or regulation. I would consider that to be Labour's worst moment in the past decade.

I e-mailed Phil Hogan not long after he had been made Minister. To date I have heard absolutelt nothing back from him or his department- not encouraging. I will e-mail again, maybe the programme will have put it higher up the list of prorities.

I e-mailed Phil Hogan not long after he had been made Minister. To date I have heard absolutelt nothing back from him or his department- not encouraging. I will e-mail again, maybe the programme will have put it higher up the list of prorities.

I think that maybe a simple request to a politician is not enough these days.

After my local MP ignored my e-mail about the dog debate last week, I followed up by requesting the courtesy of a reply. Surprise, surprise, last night I received an e-mail from his secretary at the House of Commons, requesting my name and address so that she could confirm that I am in fact one of his constituents. I have replied, apologised and now await a reply with interest.

Keep on at Phil Hogan and let us know how you get on please.

I have just e-mailed him again, with a copy of my original e mail, and I cc'd my local TD ( same as an MP) as well, and asked for an acknowledgement. I'll keep you posted.(But I'm not holding my breath- I've got very cynical in my old age, I'm afraid)

I received this reply from Pat Breen, my local TD, but still no reply, not even an acknowledgement from the Minister himself.:(

]Office of the Chairman
]Emma
I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email and thank you for same.
I discussed this matter recently with Minister Hogan given that separate legislation on the related issue of greyhound welfare, which is the responsibility of the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine, is currently proceeding through the Houses of the Oireachtas. This legislation - the Welfare of Greyhounds Bill 2011 - will provide for the welfare of greyhounds and the regulation of greyhound breeding establishments.
The provisions of both these pieces of legislation are complementary and accordingly and I understand that the Minister's intention is to commence the Dog Breeding Establishments Act alongside the Welfare of Greyhounds Bill. On being implemented together, these two pieces of legislation will give wide ranging protection to all dogs in the State by registering and controlling all breeding establishments. The Welfare of Greyhounds Bill has passed all stages in the Dáil and is currently before the Seanad and the Minister will be in a position to proceed on the Dog Breeding Establishments Act once the Greyhound Bill has been finalised. So in other words it is envisaged that the full Act will be commenced in tandem with the Welfare of Greyhounds Bill once it has been enacted.
Therefore, Environment Minister Phil Hogan will sign the commencement order (which will bring it into effect) for the Dog Breeding Act, when the commencement order for the Greyhounds Act is being signed.

This means all dog breeds will be covered under the two pieces of new legislation.

As you know the The Programme for Government 2011 contains a commitment to amend and strengthen legislation on animal cruelty and animal welfare

The main vehicle to fulfil this commitment will be the Animal Health and Welfare Bill which is a comprehensive piece of legislation providing a broad basis for regulating the related areas of animal health and welfare. This Bill is the responsibility of the Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney T.D. Drafting of the Bill is ongoing with the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel and it isMinister Coveney’sintention to publish the Bill at an early date.

I trust that this information is of assistance to you and should you need any further assistance or clarity in relation to this or any other matter at any time, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Pat Breen T.D.

It would be great to get some accurate time line estimates?
Emma

Last edited:
Hey, that is a very useful amount of info. :) Well done! If it is thru the Dail and now in the Seanad it is in final stages before eventually going to the (new) president to be signed. But you got far more info that many of us have been able to get and we'd thought the bill was dead as it went unsigned from the last govt.

Awaiting the welfare bill with interest. Of course that bill began its life in the last government so it isn't as if this is Fine Gael's Big Idea. It was actually a top agenda item for the Greens.

Good question. I will put in a formal question to the dept and see. Problem is Fine Gael vowed to block/reverse elements if they got into government :mad:. Raise it and their support of the cruel sport of carted stag hunting the next time one of their party people are going door to door.

It seems that Enda Kenny and Eamonn Gilmore have firmly ruled out that they will reverse the stag hunting ban, good news if they stick to their word :jmp:http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kenny-rules-out-reversing-staghunt-ban-2927998.html
I am ashamed to say that this hunting is in my own locality so I really hope the ban stays in place :xfngr:

Shockingly, I never realised that the original legislation was passed in 1996 by our newly elected president, Michael D Higgins :shock:

Back