Thread: Torsemide as an alternative to furosemide

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Torsemide as an alternative to furosemide

University of Pennsylvania cardiologists report in an October 2011 study of three dogs with advanced heart failure and apparent furosemide resistance, that the diuretic toresmide "has several characteristics that make it suitable for treatment of advanced heart failure including longer half-life, increased potency of diuretic action, and anti-aldosterone effects." See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral...tudy_torsemide
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Rod

Thank you for an interesting post as it caught my eye regarding my Diasy .I presume Mr Swift would of course
    have knowledge of this as it was with Daisy having a murmur as well as SM that I switched her off Frusemide to Zitac because of the effects of frusemide on her RASS. So I wonder if the diuretic Torsemide has the same effect.I will ask him at the next opportunity ,even it is not suitable it will be good to have his thoughts on this , and I still find it hard to get my head round how an antacid drug like Zitac can act as an CSF inhibitor.

Wikipedia
    Cimetidine is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist that inhibits the production of acid in the stomach.

Torsemide, a 'water pill,' is used to reduce the swelling and fluid retention caused by various medical problems, including heart or liver disease.

Just thoughts only .As the human form of Zitac/Cimetidene is sold as a brand "Tagamet " and the more modern
    replacement for this is Ranitidine branded "Zantac" would this be more effective as a CSF Inhibitor.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Brian wrote: I still find it hard to get my head round how an antacid drug like Zitac can act as an CSF inhibitor.

A matter of building on useful side effects! I have peripheral neuropathy, which means that the nerve connections to my legs and feet don't work properly so the muscles don't always get the message. The drug I am on at the moment for that is actually an anti-depressant (and used to be used for children with bed-wetting problems!). Obviously at some point someone said 'You know that anti-depressant I'm on - well ever since I've been taking it my legs have stopped aching.' And with Zitac: 'Can I just mention that since I've been on that drug for my acid stomach, I've noticed my swollen legs are a lot better'!

I don't think any of the CSF inhibitors we use are specifically CSF inhibitors - they are simply diuretics that reduce ALL the fluids in the body, including CSF, which is why the effect on the kidneys needs to be checked regularly because they need a certain level of fluid passing through them to function properly.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Kate

Its amazing how they find out what different drugs do for different conditions .So presumably with your legs Zitac
    acts as a form of water inhibitor ,and it is interesting finding how things work .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see that this may be a better alternative to Furosemide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    The drug I am on at the moment for that is actually an anti-depressant (and used to be used for children with bed-wetting problems!). Obviously at some point someone said 'You know that anti-depressant I'm on - well ever since I've been taking it my legs have stopped aching.
    I am on an anti-depressant too, Amitripyline, and it's not because I'm depressed. I have Hyper Mobility Syndrome, and for some reason suffer from restless legs at night, so a small dose of this works a treat
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The summary of this article has been expanded, with additional information about the study. One of the dogs was a cavalier. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral..._loop_diuretic
    or http://bit.ly/v3QTMt for short.
    Rod Russell