• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Torsemide as an alternative to furosemide

RodRussell

University of Pennsylvania cardiologists report in an October 2011 study of three dogs with advanced heart failure and apparent furosemide resistance, that the diuretic toresmide "has several characteristics that make it suitable for treatment of advanced heart failure including longer half-life, increased potency of diuretic action, and anti-aldosterone effects." See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm#cardiologists_study_torsemide

Hello Rod

Thank you for an interesting post as it caught my eye regarding my Diasy .I presume Mr Swift would of course
have knowledge of this as it was with Daisy having a murmur as well as SM that I switched her off Frusemide to Zitac because of the effects of frusemide on her RASS. So I wonder if the diuretic Torsemide has the same effect.I will ask him at the next opportunity ,even it is not suitable it will be good to have his thoughts on this , and I still find it hard to get my head round how an antacid drug like Zitac can act as an CSF inhibitor.

Wikipedia
Cimetidine is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist that inhibits the production of acid in the stomach.

Torsemide, a 'water pill,' is used to reduce the swelling and fluid retention caused by various medical problems, including heart or liver disease.

Just thoughts only .As the human form of Zitac/Cimetidene is sold as a brand "Tagamet " and the more modern
replacement for this is Ranitidine branded "Zantac" would this be more effective as a CSF Inhibitor.

Brian wrote: I still find it hard to get my head round how an antacid drug like Zitac can act as an CSF inhibitor.

A matter of building on useful side effects! I have peripheral neuropathy, which means that the nerve connections to my legs and feet don't work properly so the muscles don't always get the message. The drug I am on at the moment for that is actually an anti-depressant (and used to be used for children with bed-wetting problems!). Obviously at some point someone said 'You know that anti-depressant I'm on - well ever since I've been taking it my legs have stopped aching.' And with Zitac: 'Can I just mention that since I've been on that drug for my acid stomach, I've noticed my swollen legs are a lot better'!

I don't think any of the CSF inhibitors we use are specifically CSF inhibitors - they are simply diuretics that reduce ALL the fluids in the body, including CSF, which is why the effect on the kidneys needs to be checked regularly because they need a certain level of fluid passing through them to function properly.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Kate

Its amazing how they find out what different drugs do for different conditions .So presumably with your legs Zitac
acts as a form of water inhibitor ,and it is interesting finding how things work .

I'm glad to see that this may be a better alternative to Furosemide.

The drug I am on at the moment for that is actually an anti-depressant (and used to be used for children with bed-wetting problems!). Obviously at some point someone said 'You know that anti-depressant I'm on - well ever since I've been taking it my legs have stopped aching.

I am on an anti-depressant too, Amitripyline, and it's not because I'm depressed. I have Hyper Mobility Syndrome, and for some reason suffer from restless legs at night, so a small dose of this works a treat :)

Back