Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met Two Cavaliers from Ella's Breeder

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Met Two Cavaliers from Ella's Breeder

I have been staying with my sister because I have been at the hospital in Charleston (I'm ok) but getting some treatments done at the Medical University here. Charleston is beautiful and I noticed a block away 2 cavaliers outside.

I asked where they came from and they came from Ella's breeder. I mentioned SM and of course they never heard of it. The cavaliers are 2 and 3. I tried to explain but my brain isn't working. I did hear that Ella's mom is still alive. She must be about 11 or so. I hope she is scanning seeing as if she organized a speaker to come talk about SM and also one on MVD. Oh well.... I have always said that I never blamed Ella's breeder because she had several other health tests (Hearts, Hips, patellas, eyes, etc. and with the exception of just a few hardly anyone was scanning in 2005). I guess I'm scared to know if she is scanning now.

Now if I get a puppy, it will be from a breeder who is scanning (that's for sure!) I felt bad because they did not know what SM was but I remembered she did organize someone coming to talk. I guess some people just don't bother to be involved. I think I might print something out and leave it at their door. Is that bad??
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Annie

Yep thats real bad .Wondered where you have been ,you OK
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'm good. I also wonder because the owner said they are on allergy shots. Then again, Elton scratches also. I don't want to scare them but they should know what to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

Anne, I would leave them a personal note and the print outs. They need to understand that Ella had it and it required surgery. It's not to scare them but to inform them. I remember it was my Vet that told me about SM as they have several Cav clients and one family that has 3 and one was going for surgery.

People need to be informed, and it takes us educating them. I have people ask all the time about Claire, and though she doesn't have SM, they need to know that finding a breeder that scans is the most important part of finding a Cavalier.

I mean, don't you wish you knew back then what you know today? And these folks need to know that there are things they can do for their Cavaliers if they do have SM.

I would do it. You won't rest if you don't.

Sorry you're having some medical issues. I hope all will be okay, saying a little prayer for you. I bet you miss Elton!
    Last edited by mommytoClaire; 27th October 2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Elton is here with me but is having "issues" with their lab. Guarding, etc. I get scared he will bite the children which they know he is not like Ella and you can't just pick him up etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was thinking more about it and even if they did not go to hear the speaker talk about it, I think people should be aware. I even think I have an extra "For the Love of Ollie" Book. I may just give them that. Although I think you can get an ebook now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    Anne, I would leave them a personal note and the print outs. They need to understand that Ella had it and it required surgery. It's not to scare them but to inform them. I remember it was my Vet that told me about SM as they have several Cav clients and one family that has 3 and one was going for surgery.

People need to be informed, and it takes us educating them. I have people ask all the time about Claire, and though she doesn't have SM, they need to know that finding a breeder that scans is the most important part of finding a Cavalier.

I mean, don't you wish you knew back then what you know today? And these folks need to know that there are things they can do for their Cavaliers if they do have SM.

I way do it. You won't rest if you don't.

Sorry you're having some medical issues. I hope all will be okay, saying a little prayer for you. I bet you miss Elton!
    You are right that I will not rest. I just don't want it to seem like I am talking bad about the breeder. Maybe I can start it off like I know she organized someone to come talk about it last year but thought I would print some of this off for other Cavalier lovers.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your approach is perfect. And I'd even to them that you know th breeder is trying to make others aware of SM.

Oh, glad Elton is with you. It might take a while for him to get use to things. Best wishes on your treatments.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a great idea! I think every Cavalier owner should be aware of SM! I like your approach too!

Uh, Flash has some "guarding" issues too. I feel for ya!
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like

It is always hard in situations like these. I say follow your gut and what your intuition is telling you...and they way you want to say something sounds just right. If that was me and how someone handled it, I would not be offended at all, I would be grateful.